Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video of the Dall Ram....

Default Video of the Dall Ram....

I saw. Hopefully this work. The video isn't great quality, he was about 800 to 1000 yards away. My guide was within shooting distance at one stage and said he aged him at 13.

Let me know your thoughts

oz
    il vaut mieux Ítre bon que la chance

Default Wow

I'm am by no means a good judge of horn length, but that is one heck of a nice ram. What was the reason the guide wouldn't let you go after him? Were they saving it for other clients or for themselves?
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Definitely a Shooter!!, to bad you didn't shoot him.

md

Awesome ram! Looks nearly identical to the ram I chased around for a week earlier this month. Ridiculously long on the left and broomed just a little shorter on the right.

ramtastic!!!!!

We didn't go after him for a couple of reasons;

1. I didn't have a sheep tag and at the time, I thought a Sheep tag was dearer than a Grizz tag and I couldn't substitute (in hindsight, my guide probably should have known that it was the other way round and I could have substituted)

2. I had paid for a Grizz/Moose combo, and I didn't know what the financial ramifications would be if I shot the ram (the outfitter said later, I could have killed him, but it wouls have cost more $$$$$)

My guide doesn't work regularly for the outfitter and doesn't like him, therefore he hadn't talked to him as much as he probably should have.

Hay Oak, was your ram up the Wood River?

oz

oz, too bad about the problems with your guide/outfitter. That's a lot of money to invest for simple miscommunications like that to happen. Congrats on the grizz!

My ram wasn't near Wood River.

Default ???

Never hunted with a guide or outfitter, but why would you have to have permission from the outfitter? If you are accompanied by a guide in the field, you are legal to shoot whatever you have a tag for, correct? Do they charge "trophy fees"? Not trying to be smart a$% or anything, I truely don't understand how it works.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Blackfoot

It wasn't about permission, it was about $$$$, they all charge more for sheep or sheep combo (from my experience) and I did not want to kill the ram if it was going to cost more money than I was capable of paying. That is just aprt of being a NR Alien, everything costs subsatntially more

oz

Thumbs up Oz

Sounds like you had a great hunt and have some fond memories.

That is a great ram for sure, but he would be in the 38 to 40" range I would estimate. The curl is tight and even or slightly above the jaw line as it appears in the pictures. A great ram no doubt, but short of the 45 inch mark.

Do not feel sorry that you brought home the grizzly, it is a exceptional trophy in its own right. Congratulations and sounds like that will be back soon.

Regards......Bigmnt

Bigmnt

I don't feel sorry at all, I know the Grizz is a great trophy, and I feel privileged to have taken such a beautiful bear and to have seen the amount of game that I saw.

You can bet your left you-know-what that I will be back. I have already started planning for a return (the wife doesn't know yet, I have only just been home 24 hours)

I saw a picture of a ram on the web today that had both sides like the long side of the one I saw and it was scored at 42", I think the boy in question would be closer to 42" than 45" now I have had a look at a few pics

oz

wow! can you say Ram Royale? Nice vid dude,thanks for sharing.Daniel

Default Opps

Mighty nice ram. I would bet he would have at least exceeded 40", indeed prob close to 41" to 43" on the left. There is prob 1" to 3" that can't be seen in the image. Looks like he has already started to flare out - definately a trophy. You'll be way lucky to find another one like that one ... but lookin' is at least 75% of the fun! Good luck.

Default !!!!

Just looked at the video and that is a once in a life time ram - that left horn is prob every bit of 45" and I think it still may be missing it's lamb tips. Absolutely an awesome ram...hopefully it will make it thru the winter. I would seriously doubt it has more than one or two more years left in it's natural life span.

Default click here for movie

Geez, I know I am computer challenged, but never thought to click on the sheep to get the movie rolling. Just thought it was a grainy picture of a nice sheep. That left horn looks amazing! Wow! Did it look to you like the right side was broomed or just not developed? That was a cool vidoe just to see him stand there all regal and lay down just like he owned the place. Thanks for sharing.

Default Big Ram

That is a once in a life time sheep for most hunters. Shame on your guide for not being more help! No Excuse.......

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    That left horn looks amazing! Wow! Did it look to you like the right side was broomed or just not developed?
    Rat

My guide seem to think the right horn was broken only in the last year or two and will be a classic broom in time.

oz

Default nice ram

its looked to me like it was undeveloped not broomed.....its pretty pointy at the end and the whole horn has a different configuration that the long side..i've seen them like that they get a sinus infection or something that makes its way to the core of the horn and it makes the horn no slide on the core when growing and the horm material just piles up at the base...look at how his right horn is and imagine to have the same length as his left...they would then have the same shape....i don't think either side is broomed, possible the lamb tips worn off but not broomed in the broken off way

Curious...Who all is hunting the Wood River next year?

Quote Originally Posted by sharksinthesalsa View Post
    its looked to me like it was undeveloped not broomed.....its pretty pointy at the end and the whole horn has a different configuration that the long side..i've seen them like that they get a sinus infection or something that makes its way to the core of the horn and it makes the horn no slide on the core when growing and the horm material just piles up at the base...look at how his right horn is and imagine to have the same length as his left...they would then have the same shape....i don't think either side is broomed, possible the lamb tips worn off but not broomed in the broken off way

Interesting, I thought the long left horn looked like it had a lot of drop but the right one didn't. Maybe it was just the angle.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast