Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Tent Opinions

Default Hunting Tent Opinions

Anyone own the Eureka Alaska Tundra Extreme Tent. If you do or have heard, what are your opinions about durablity, etc. If you don't, what do you feel is a great alaska hunting tent, how would it compare with Cables' bigger models of hunting tents? I am shopping for a tent for Kodiak, and I like to have room to move and stand. Sportmans has a few left, but really can't find any info. on them on the internet. Supposedly same as "bombshelter" which is stiched by eureka sold under another company? Then Eureka produced the Alaska Tundra Exteme for a couple years but have now discontinued the model. Does anyone have insight? Thanks in advance for comments.

Default Bomb Shelter

About the best tent you could get for Kodiak is a bomb shelter from Barney's sport chalet in Anchorage. I have owned and used Cabelas guide model tents and north face tents and the bomb shelter is better. Good luck.

Mel

I recommend the bomb shelter. It has proven itself time and time again on Kodiak and the Alaska peninsula weather. It's worth the price

i have the cabela's guide model tent with alluminum poles and it works great up to about 40 mph winds, if their is a possibility of higher winds you will need something designed to handle it.
    i used this tent on a kodiak goat hunt at the end of august and winds hit 50mph and we had to assist the structure if you know what i mean.
    so my opinion is the cabela's works great unless you are in open tundra and or higher elevations on kodiak!

can't wait to go back!!

Default mis info.

Just did more research on bomb shelter, and I guess it is not even close to the Eureka Alaska Tundra Extreme. The bomb shelter is much lighter and lower profile. Serves me right to pass on what I've "heard".

Default Alaska "Bomb Proof" Tents

Would also recommend you check out the Arctic Oven - esp for cold weather camping. http://www.alaskatent.com/

So since the Arctic Oven was braught up I have to ask everyone here. I am looking to buy a new tent. I have 3 options in mind.

Bomb Shelter - Need no explanation
    Arctic Oven - Like the idea of the winter capabilities and the wood stove.
    Titanium goat - Light and for the stove options plus the sucker held up awesome this year for my buddy in very heavy winds.

I really like to be able to have a stove. Has anyone ever modified a Bomb Shelter so you can put a stove in it?

I thought about getting one and having it modified for a stove with a couple vents like the Arctic oven?

Lastly can anyone on here say they have used an Arctic oven in SEVERE winds like in Kodiak or the Peninsula?

Default tent comparison

People that I know that have or have used both the Bomb Shelter and the Arctic oven have preferred the AO - seems the Bomb Shelter produces a more "damp environment. Stability in high winds is excellent with both since construction is very similar due to both being based on a Eureka design. I have used the AO on the Pen. without any problems. I also own a Titanium Goat and had severe wall deflection with high winds in the Brooks Range while camped on the valley floor.

Default Only two tents for me...

What about the KIFARU Tipi tents that everybody's suppored to be using? Those and the Arctic Oven are the only one I'd consider. BUT they are NOT cheap! I've never been to Kodiak but I think the Tipi would do much better in a very high wind.

We had a Cabela’s tent shred on so a couple of weeks ago. Wind speed is very important

Default Couple of problems with Kifaru

Quote Originally Posted by MEtracker View Post
    What about the KIFARU Tipi tents that everybody's suppored to be using? Those and the Arctic Oven are the only one I'd consider. BUT they are NOT cheap! I've never been to Kodiak but I think the Tipi would do much better in a very high wind.
    The Tipi has no floor and no way to keep the bugs out. Until you've had to deal with Alaska's mosquitoes, white sox, and no-see-em's, you really won't understand how important this is.

Also, I don't think the Bombshelter was "based on a Eureka design" as was said. I believe Bob (the owner of Barney's) had Eureka build his tents. I don't think this ever was a Eureka design. I could be mistaken though.

I use the Eureka Timberline Outfitter Six for some parts of my operation, but that tent has some limitations because of the high sidewalls. If I have hunters that need a tent they can stand up in, this is the one I use. But then they have to choose a river that offers plenty of brush or timber to protect them from the wind.

As to the Bombshelter, the only thing I don't like about it is how dark it is inside. I prefer a lighter colored tent, so I can see what I'm doing. The Arctic Oven fits this bill nicely. It is also easier to find when you're groping around in the twilight hours with a load of meat on your back, looking for camp...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Eureka Assult Outfitter 4

Used mine on a 8 day fly-in to the foothills of the Alaska Range this year. We also had a 6 man Cabelas guide model, it only lasted 2 days till the wind twisted 3 poles to resemble a pretzel. The Assult withstood some intense winds, and 4 days of rain, sleet and snow. After the rain stopped we moved the tent, it had been sitting in anckle deep water for about 3 days while we stayed dry.

Default arctic over

I used one this past November at -25 for a couple of nights. Didn't have a stove, but used a Mr. Buddy propane stove in it. As long as the lantern and buddy stove were on, plenty warm, when I shut the lantern off, it cooled off enough for the wife to get cold. I would surely use one with the stove. The friend of mine that I borrowed it from uses canned sterno in the stove and it works well he says. I bought some of the duraflame logs to use as I didn't want to be the one to burn holes in the tent! I didn't get to use them, but the AO was impressive enough for me to consider buying one for sure.

Default Sorce of Confusion

Now I think I got it figured out, except which tent to get. But after some helpful posts I got some insight. I guess there are two bomb shelters produced. One is made by Bibler, low profile, light weight, more mountaineering stlye. The other is Barney's, that is the one I had "heard", Eureka stiches. The previously produced for like two years,now discontinued, Eureka Alaska Tundra Extreme, which Sportman's has the last three left for $579, is very, very similar to Barney's Bombshelter which is more like $1,000. This is again here say, Eureka stiched the Barney's Bomb shelter, then Eureka decided to produce it for themselves. Sportman's in Anchorage sold a bunch. No where else did, Eureka discontinued them, lack of total nationwide sales; Sportman's Corporate then had the remaining tents nationwide sent up here to Anchorage location to get rid of them.Arctic Oven is also simliar in "stance", but I know has some features that only it has. Again I will ask if anyone has any experience with this Eureka Alaska Tudra Extreme? Is is strong? I have one on lay away, just want to know if I should keep it there. Thanks again, all your guys post are helpful.

What did you end up doing? I am curious to know as I am in the same boat.

I am going to have to go to Sportsmans Warehouse and check those tents out since I am looking for another myself.

Default tipis

Hard for me to understand how Mr.Strahan's comments about bugs and tipis add up. I have spent time in tipis, owned some, and have a new one on order. I have spent more than 50 consecutive days in a tipi, over 40 con. a couple of times over 30 consecutive days several times, over 20 days several times, all in remote areas of Alaska and have never had bug problems........A simple mosquito bar over your bedding is both inexpensive and extremely effective and is simple to rig.......easier still is ordering the bug netting package when you order the tipi.

Here is my Kifaru 12man(I no longer own) withstood winds to over 50+, was warm and comfy, and can't wait to get my new, custom Titanium Goat large tipi.....tipis have a lot going for them......the one in the picture, stove and all weighed in19lbs.& change all up.

Here is another floorless design by TiGoat...my mountain tent...it has a tie in floor, but I've only used it(tie in floor) on the east coast, and other places the snakes and ticks were bad......I used it floorless down at Cape Hatteras, N.C., where mosquitos are every bit as bad as up here and I had no problems.......this one, the Goat Dome, weighs in at less than 3 lbs. w/carbon poles and, as all TiGoat gear, is bulletproof.

Notice that the front door can be fully opened because there is netting behind the door.......all around the bottom of the tent is 6"-7" of netting........there's netting over the vent on top.

Most floorless shelters compensate through design for what some consider shortcomings.........are they for everyone.......obviously not.......give them a chance, adapt, and they'll work for you......

Joe
    Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

I'd go to AMH to check out tents, they know their stuff there, whereas sportsmans and even REI have employing who don't know or use what they sell. Talk to the guys at barney's too they have excellent backpacking stuff. For a hunting tent I'd go with something that is mountaineering grade, if you can use it to bivy at 16,000 feet its good enough to use hunting.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default I had the notion to spend the big bucks on a tent

for my Peninsula hunt last week through this wednesday. All I can say is we pretty much destroyed 3 tents this trip. None were of the mentioned above though. I have not tent camped in almost 10 years. I had feeling we were in for it but partner said it will be fine. Well all I can say is trust your gut. I knew I should have bought a bomb shelter or now the Arctic Oven. Never heard of that one before until reading this thread. If I go again, just a matter of time. I will take what I want. We survived but rebuilding camp every day was not fun. Nor was waking up in the middle of night to sideways rain coming in from all angle cus the wind ripped off the two rainflies with the tent. Look at my thread on Survival Man-Awesome Trip. Posted pics and you will get the idea. Wind blows harder than 50 mph down there, TRUST ME.

I have owned the Cabelas Alaknak II 9.5 X 9.5 with stove. Not a bad tent but it must be staked out in order to stand. It heated up fine but would only fit 2-3 guys with the stove in it. I bought the AK tent and tarp Artika last year and have used it in 40-50 degree weather and -20 with high winds up on the north slope in Oct. It did awesome in the wind and fit 5 guys with the stove. As was said by Northway you can feel the heat from a lantern! One thing I wouldnt recommend with it is using charcoal in the stove. Well at least in the extreme cold it seemed to never really heat up and burned quickly. The tent dries out very quickly and keeps a dry feel inside all the time. If you can afford the cost and weight there is no better tent IMO. If you havent had a chance to actually look at them I suggest you do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast