Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodiak Stags and other odd balls

Default Kodiak Stags and other odd balls

How many of you have taken these or other odd balls and let see them. I have taken four blacktails on Kodiak with some form of testicle malfunction. This is the weirdest (no testicles)

This was a monster body, never rubbed his horns but the velvet gone antlers were bright white.(no testicles)

This buck had one testicle. pretty normal rack.

Shot a brown horned spike with (no testicles) on same trip as the weird one. My brother in law has real weird cactus buck from killuda but it had its testicles.
    Lets see yours that were lacking theres or other oddball critters.

Default need help?

Do you need any help doing, uh, research? I would be happy to take a run to Kodiak. Just for the scientific aspect of course. Might need to bring the bow w/ me, you know, just in case.
    Great photos. Wonder what is going on? Got to hunt further south several times and we never heard about this.

been hearing more and more about his, no testies and the velvet don't come off and antlers are pretty brittle, stay that way year round, cactus bucks is another name for them. the deer with one nut looks normal cause all they need is one, just like us. so he's getting all his testosterone. something to be said for all the inbreeding on the island maybe?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Inbreeding is exactly the case there. I've been hearing of Kodiak nontypicals for years due to the sequestered nature of the herd.

I think it would be a worthwhile cause for ADF&G to infuse Kodiak occasionally with some fresh genes.

I don't have a picture of it, but I did see a solid white buck on the mainland here in Juneau a few years back. That is the only oddball I've seen personally.

Thumbs up

Kodiak is prime area for Mule deer !!!!
    That would be a sight for sure !!!!

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

I have a buddy who shot a stag off of sitkinak. No nuts on the buck at all. He had a normal configuration but never rubbed.

Default nuts

I have killed about 6-8 of these deer in the last 10 years and have found some to be without testicles and have court jester type antlers with velvet and then some with no testicles that have a normal set of fork or three point antlers. All have been bigger bodied and full of fat. They usually hang with the does most of the time. These deer where shot on the south end.

i should post a pic of myself ......i have no testicles which is why i let my wife push me around all the time

When I lived in Kodiak I attended a lecture put on by ADFG on this very thing. They were very concerned as this puts a real strain on the herd. The biologist that gave the speech did not seem completely convinced it was due to inbreeding. He mentioned that there are other herds that are just as isolated as the Kodiak herd and they were not suffering from the same troubles. He did talk about how they are fatter than the other bucks because they don't rut, therefore they do not expend the energy chasing does and breeding. He almost begged us to target the sterile bucks, making sure we understood the meat is just fine to eat. I don't know, never shot one. Interesting lecture just the same

Wicket,
    Don't have any? that sucks. My wife keeps mine in the freezer. If I ask real nice every once in a while she lets me take them out.

Quote Originally Posted by guns68 View Post
    When I lived in Kodiak I attended a lecture put on by ADFG on this very thing. They were very concerned as this puts a real strain on the herd. The biologist that gave the speech did not seem completely convinced it was due to inbreeding. He mentioned that there are other herds that are just as isolated as the Kodiak herd and they were not suffering from the same troubles. He did talk about how they are fatter than the other bucks because they don't rut, therefore they do not expend the energy chasing does and breeding. He almost begged us to target the sterile bucks, making sure we understood the meat is just fine to eat. I don't know, never shot one. Interesting lecture just the same
    Very few populations are as isolated as Kodiaks. All of PWS, and SE have alternate islands as well as the mainland in swimming distance. While there are multiple islands in the area, they still remain seperated from the mainland by a pretty vast distance...and then not into other deer type country.

I'll always assume those deer there, that are introduced by man, are in fact several generations of inbred. The island (s) out there need some fresh blood from SE... or even from PWS.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I just found it interesting that when in-breeding was brought up the biologist jumped pretty quickly on how he did not think it was a factor, nor did he think it was a factor in the afognak elk herd and the stunted antler growth. I don't know I'm just a knuckle head that likes to crawl through the brush with a gun in my hands. By the way, do the nut less bucks eat just as well?

No picture, but seen it on a Moose one time, at the headwaters of the Big Su near the glacier. On top of his head was what resembled a bushel basket sized set of antlers that looked like a clump of Iris plants or yucca plants. Spiney jags sticking straight up and out. Watched him for several hours and he appeared normal other than what was on his head. Antler restriction deal kept him alive to spread his genes. Should have been shot on the spot.

Default Like this one

This bull resided for years in Kincaid park in Anchorage. He didn't show any interest during the rut.

Default Freezer

Guns68,

The freezer doesn't sound so bad. Could be a vice....

That's one way to count my blessings!!

Default everything you wanted to know

Here's everything you wanted to know and maybe a lot you never wanted to know about the Stags on Kodiak.

http://www.ehponline.org/members/2005/8052/8052.html

Pretty interesting stuff.

By the way, the deer population in Prince William Sound were transplanted and are pretty inbred too and I haven't heard of this happening here.

Default Ala Seinfeld:

Quote Originally Posted by jtm9 View Post
    They usually hang with the does most of the time.
    "... not that there's anything wrong with that."

Default Mule Deer

I had a buddy that shot a really nice mulie one time I can't remember what it scored but it was a real trophy except it didn't have any testies so it was in velvet well after all the other bucks in the area had rubbed off theirs. I heard that deer in velvelt couldn't be submitted for an official score with B&C because they can keep growing and trophies could be artificially grown in a ranch. either way it was a nice deer, just a little weird.

Default Huh?

I tried reading the attachment. Man did that rush me right back to college biology class. So the hypothesis points toward a correlation of females and environment, ie. what the does eat during gestation and/or how their diet may affect them year round.
    What I do not see are any tests to that end. Did I miss it or did they test the does to see what estrogen or other imbalance occurs normally?
    It appears that all males affected do not carry viable sperm, therefore they can not affect the population by breeding. Again, I could have missed it somewhere, but what I saw talked about deformed testicles or lack of testicles descending and/or lesions. Remember that biologically testicles are designed to keep sperm cool so they survive. Sperm at full body temperature die.
    Quite an interesting albeit lengthy read. Would be nice to get the working mans synopsis. Would also like to see the follow up data on the does. I need to go back and recheck for their determinations on healthy, or apparently healthy males while I am thinking about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast