Thread: Stolen pistol from Homer, please be on the look out

Kenai Peninsula, Alaska

Default Stolen pistol from Homer, please be on the look out

First, let me say that I don't blame Northern Enterprises for what happened.
    This was my 3rd, and last, month that I decided to keep my boat there.I went down to make one last trip and put on a new carb on my boat. We got down there Friday nite around 9 pm. We entered the boat yard and headed to where I parked my boat and found it wasn't there. I'm sure you know what I was thinking. So I search and search and in the far back corner of the lot, there it was......whew... so we gather the supplies and climb aboard and I notice that my key does not fit all the way into the lock on the door handle. and the door jsut pushes open. The next sight I notice and am puzzled by was the 5 inches of water on the floor. Then I notice a knife I had stashed outside was inside and that was the first clue that someone had broke into my boat. I was however surprised to see my 4 halibut rods with Penn GTI 345 reels, and brand new Garmin 400c fishfinder were still there. However, here is what was missing. My Jensen CD stereo, a Puma WhiteHunter knife, and my survival bag that I had stashed up under the bow. Now, you may ask what was in the bag..... A Stainless Ruger MarkII 22/45 with 10inch bull barrel (you don't see those very often), a Colt hatchet with knife in handle, camper stove/heater, clothes, Helios brunton lighter, Pentagon Flashlight, various firestarters, all in all a little over $700 missing. go ahead you can now scold me for leaving those in my boat. and the kicker of the story is....... of course I can't seem to find the serial number for the gun...... All I can say is that the person or persons who did this are very lucky they were not there when I arrived.
    I did find one person in the boat yard to notify and he made a couple of calls. One to the yard manager, and one to the office lady. I have yet to receive a return call. I did however, file the report with the troopers that nite.
    Morals of the story, never, never, leave a firearm in a boat unattended, and always record your serial #s of you firearms.
    Last edited by aufevermike; 09-29-2007 at 09:47. Reason: spelling

Kachemak Bay Alaska

Is that boat yard inside or outside the Homer City limits?
    Not that it really matters much, since nobody has been breaking any crime fighting records around here lately.

Did you leave a list of stolen stuff with "Butch" the local pawn shop owner?

I need to run down and check my plane. A couple years ago a bunch of headsets were stolen out of several planes down at the airport. Then the idiots who stole them put them ALL up for sale on Ebay using an Anchor Point address. They still have not gone to jail... Because the thieves were not the only idiots involved. Although I do know which local business the thieves own.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member

Soldotna, ALASKA since '78

The recording of serial numbers cannot be overemphasized. My dad's house was robbed some 20 years ago and a lot of guns were taken. He provided s/n to the troopers. His home owners insurance didn't cover guns (didn't find out until after the fact), but the NRA did cover the guns, so he was able to buy replacements for many of them (some were family heirlooms and were irreplaceable). About 10 years later, Anchorage PD called and said they had 4 of his guns in the evidence locker and he got those back. They had been there for most of those years and it included 2 of the irreplaceable family heirlooms. Without serial numbers, he never would have got those back.

E-bay = no second hand dealers report.

Thief's must love e-bay, as they have only a tiny chance of being caught selling your property this way.

Your best bet to help safe guard your property is photo id the guns. This makes a perfect record of them and can be transfered fast to others.