Thread: The Alagnak

Question The Alagnak

Has anyone got some information about their Alagnak experiences

What do you want to know?.....PM your Q's and I'll do my best to provide info. Very cool river and great country. Many other options in that part of the country as well.

I'll let you know after next july
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by bairdi View Post
    What do you want to know?.....PM your Q's and I'll do my best to provide info. Very cool river and great country. Many other options in that part of the country as well.
    Bairdi Please could you tell me which are the best areas of the Alagnak to fish, and the best fly patterns to use, and if there are some good lodges there,I will be fishing for King Salmon the first two weeks in July.

I'll be on the tower then

AKPM, Were you on the tower there this year? If not where were you this summer? Just curious.

Sewin,
    As you probably already know the Alagnak is esentially a fly in only river. You can fly into the headwaters lakes and float down (fish for rainbows up high and salmon down low). Or you can stay at one of several lodges. I don't remember all their names, but all should have websites. Their is a tent camp place on the lower river that I remember being pretty good as well as the Alagnak Lodge. I'm not sure if Branch River lodge is still in business or not and I don't have any experience with them. There is another outfit up high above the braids that should be pretty good as well if you are primarily interested in trout/sockeye fishing/bear (Can anyone remember their name?). Lastly there is Katmai Lodge at the bottom of the braids. PLEASE PM me for more info if you considering Katmai.

The Alagnak has some very flyfishable water for kings. If you have spey rods definitely bring them. Bring an assortment of shooting heads. Be sure to bring the heaviest one you can find as some areas are swift and deep. I never fly fished for kings there but had egg sucking leaches, rabbit stripo leaches, ever glow flies etc work for kings elsewhere. Any of the fly shops in Anchorage will be able to set you up. I think it is much more important to get your fly in front of a fish than the actual fly used.

I was on the Ugashik River tower this last summer. Hoping to get the Alagnak job next year, my boss seemed to think I could get it, so

I think the tower is just upstream from katmai lodge (a mile or so) and we have a jet boat to use for work so

A 15 foot 10 wt is probably mandatory for king fishing right? (I need a good excuse)

Quote Originally Posted by sewin44 View Post
    Has anyone got some information about their Alagnak experiences

What kinda info are you looking for?

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Any top tips would be great,