Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing Deeks

Angry Missing Deeks

I "lost" four Mallard Deeks the other day, I left them in place and someone took them. It was less than 24 hours so it is not like they had seen them a couple of times as I have never left them out before.

I am flabbergasted that people are so anxious to pick stuff up that they would grab those Deeks. If they had been in there recently they would know they had not been there long. And if they had not been in there recently they would not know they had been in there long enough to be abandoned.

I was extremely late pulling out of there and I would never leave them to keep my spot. If I had come back in there and someone was hunting over them I would have been very fine with that and hopefully they would have shot something that would have made my day actually. Why would someone not just hunt over them for cryin out loud and come back, if they were there a few days later then OK maybe but I would not even take them then if they were not mine. I looked at them before walking off and thought ya know itís a small town; most of the guys that go out here I either know or are in the Coast Guard, not all I am sure but most. I was sure someone would not stoop so low as to take them. It was only about 15 $ worth of gear but I am seriously bent.

I know some do not agree with leaving Deeks out but really if you do not expect it to get you any kind of advantage over other hunters what can it hurt really.

If some one is reading this that found some Deeks near Valdez last on Wed. night please drop them off at Hook line, they will get them back to me. I can identify them if you PM me in case there is any doubt they are mine. Thanks all for listening to me vent, lesson learned

Default Was that your whole spread?

Did they leave the rest of your spread in place or were you only using 4?

I was only useing four, it worked I shot a pair of Teal.

grizzeyes

it's sad when some people have to really ruin someone's day. weeks ago when i had my boat out along side sterling hwy when i lived there, i took everything out. even the anchor and all rope, battery etc. everything. However, i left the transom light pole in it's grommets stored in it's rightful place along the gunnels and as i was to leave i thought....hmmm, should i or shouldn't i take the light pole. so i left it in there and sure nough...some idiot pulled it out and stole it.

that just bites.I hope you get them back.Even tho its only 15 bucks,its the principle behind the matter.Daniel

Perhaps you should have picked up your decoys when you left? I'm sorry but when I find dekes and nobody is around and I'd been on the marsh for a little while and hadn't seen anyone there I'd pick them up. Or if it was first light and I stumbled upon some decoys with nobody near I'd pick them up. If I ever left my decoys sitting around over night I would be suprised to find them the next day. I mean really thats like leaving a $20 bill on the ground and expecting it to be there the next day.

Now if you had obiously stashed them somewhere, left them in a boat, car or whatever thats different but to just leave them sitting there in the water seems very foolhardy to me.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Wow

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Perhaps you should have picked up your decoys when you left? I'm sorry but when I find dekes and nobody is around and I'd been on the marsh for a little while and hadn't seen anyone there I'd pick them up. Or if it was first light and I stumbled upon some decoys with nobody near I'd pick them up. If I ever left my decoys sitting around over night I would be suprised to find them the next day. I mean really thats like leaving a $20 bill on the ground and expecting it to be there the next day.

Now if you had obiously stashed them somewhere, left them in a boat, car or whatever thats different but to just leave them sitting there in the water seems very foolhardy to me.
    You never fail to amaze me powder.

Talking

yup..very amazing feller...But that kinda stuff will come back to bite you..Hopefully he'll have his bear spray handy..............

Default keep your hands off

I don't normally do this but.... ak powdermonkey... didn't your parents teach you anything? If it isn't your's don't mess with it. Your'e age really shows through on this post. Now I know why it is that I keep trying to push the old value system on my son and keep him from acting like others his age. No respect for anyone else. What if the guy got out of there late and couldn't find all of his decoys and was coming back the next day. What if he was hunting and had to leave in an emergency and had a friend coming back to get his gear or........ You just never know. One day when your gear dissappears, stop for about five minutes and think about what you wrote. Or better yet envision yourself being turned into a popsicle with a boat paddle because you were messing with someones gear when they got back. Not everyone lets that type of thing fly.

Sorry about your decoys, but leaving them there to reserve a spot on public land (Iam guessing) isnt the smartest decision. I cant stand it when guys leave stuff at a spot expecting to reserve it for the next morning and then get mad when I tell them first come first serve (speaking from past experiences). Now on the other hand you said you wouldnt have been mad if someone was hunting over them, i respect you for that because alot of people i have ran into would have been mad. But like some one else said thats like leaving a $20 on the ground and expecting it to be there tommorow. Its crappy when other hunters and sportsmen do this to each other, when we are all supposed to be in this together. Like i said sorry about your decoys, but i bet you wont ever do that agian.

sorry about your luck
    good luck hunting
    texhunter

I have 3 boys and I hope they all grow up with better values than that! I HATE thieves. Would you take someones wheeler if you didn't see anyone around and it was first light I mean heck thats like finding a whole stack of $100 bills sitting there!

Sucks to hear that. i remember back in the day you could leave things and return with them still there. Now a days you can't leave anything behind no matter how much a pain it is to drag out...
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Powder Monkey, that is stealing. We leave our dekes out all weekend long. There is nothing wrong with that if you are going to continue to hunt that blind.

Default It'll come back on you

I too, wanted to thank the person that stole the lights off my boat trailer. It happened the weekend before last out at Jim Creek. I guess they couldn't afford to buy the $20 or $30 replacement kit from Walmart. They must have been a piss poor driver and smashed theres while going up or down the hill.
    With the way some of you are thinking I guess when I get home I should find someone living in my home. After all I left it unattended.
    I have never had problems with other hunters in the field. But there again I don't hunt in high public use areas.

I'd be careful. Karma has a pretty funny way of getting back at you.

grizzeyes

Default palmer flats from KGB

greetings, i made my first drive down to the flats from kgb road and it was to the real muddy pkg lot where you can walk or drive an atv over that bridge when someone in an old beat up crappy sounding (i'll not name the car) came rolling in and when he saw me he sped up went in to turn around and left.

im sure there are people looking to find where some roads go but if i had prevented a vehicle theft so be it I would be happy about it. ya just never know i suppose. looks like a place where you wouldn't want to keep valuables inside your truck. i decided to put my stuff on after hearing some shots just out a ways but didn't see ducks flyin and a guy and his kids had come in and i should have asked if they were shootin at ducks but didn't. I decided since i didn't have an atv that i wasn't feeling like sweatin walking out there. Unless i couldn't see the birds flyin as maybe it could be a bit hard in seeing them against that fantastic mtn backdrop of fall colors. it was nice to stop up on the bluff heading out to glass the area. the mnts and fall colors are an amazing backdrop out there. gots to get me a 4wheeler now but would probably come up a few grand short on a good used atv. next year maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusko View Post
    Powder Monkey, that is stealing. We leave our dekes out all weekend long. There is nothing wrong with that if you are going to continue to hunt that blind.
    Is it on public land?
    Now would you be mad if someone showed up to hunted your decoys before you go there? Reason I ask this because I have run into this problem already this season. I had a guy who had his decoys stashed pretty good to the only way you would of found them is to trip over them. He told me that he was hunting this spot that It was his area. I asked him where was he at 5:30am he said it did not matter since he has left he stuff here since opening day and now it's the end of Sept. I told him that he can not claim and area on public land as solely his just because he left his decoys there. I told him if he was here before and walked away from the area and I did not see him I would move. but since he wasn't there before I got there then I'm not moving. In the end he was pissed but realized that I wasn't going to move. He moved down from me. People find a good spot and try to take it over to where no one can hunt it. IE leave there decoys up or put a tent up...

My two cents on this is once your done hunting that area for the day or week. You should move all your stuff out. And if someone else comes to hunt that area next then let it's there turn...
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post

I think I am actually at a lose of words on this one. Sticky fingers will get them severed with the wrong person. You amze me AKPM, unreal.

Hope you get you deekes back! That sucks.

I don't hunt the flats anymore since my dad almost got shot out their 10 years ago. That is the closest I ever came to killing someone. Dude just spraying away with an sks. I got be hind a big turned over tree but dad was sprawled out in the open. This guy had a wierd look on his face and I could see it clearly through the 4 power scope on my marlin! Luckly asomeone came by in a little suv and the guy stopped shooting over us long enough for us to run out of there and get back to our truck. I don't believe that he didn't see us it's just not possible. Not to mention having stuff stolen out there is extremely common!

Default more of my 2 cents...

I still believe we are looking at two seperate issues. He said he was late getting out. Even if someone was holding a spot theft wouldn't be right. Holding the spot is all wrong, but I just can't agree on the whole hey I found this such and such sitting in the woods I think I'll keep it. When you come across something like that you never know what the reasoning is behind it. Horrible scenario but a couple bad cases that I can think of. An old man is out hunting on his own. All of a sudden he is having medical problems in his blind. The last thing he sees is someone stealing his dekes as he is trying to summon the other guys attention but is to weak to be heard. A guys dog bails out of the boat and gets punctured pretty good on a stick, guy leaves in a hurry. Comes back to get decoys. Now he has a heck of a vet bill and is gonna have one with Cabela's too. Guy's kid get's bored in the boat / blind and is playing with his new knife that he got. Slips, gets cut, they leave pretty quick. Dad returns later to get the dekes and now they have none. You never know the situation.

I got carted off in an Ambulance one time and the one thing that kept popping into my head was the fact that I had my 2 4 wheelers, 3 guns and camping gear sitting out and that it would get stolen. My son wasn't old enough to stay behind with the stuff. Word got around quickly and my father drove up there and loaded everything up. I am glad he did because according to some folks my stuff was up for grabs.

I found about a $140 knife set out moose hunting. I let some people that I knew hunted the area know about it. A guy called me and told me that he had bought it for his father a couple years ago for x-mas and the father lost it. They described it to a T even to the rip on the case and the father explained where he tipped his wheeler over in the brush and everything got knocked off. Felt kinda nice seeing the look on the dad's face when he got it back.

I like the post about the 4 wheeler but if you read around on here you will find out that exactly this same thing happened with a 4 wheeler this year. I think it broke down,they came back with parts and it was gone. Maybe we should send them to AKPM's place to collect their stack of 20's.

Default ?????

Why would you take the decoys if you found them on a pond thats just silly to me. I have walked out to ponds before light and found decoys sitting on a pond knowing I was the only one out there hunting, I just pick them up and stash them in the blind. If the person shows up I tell them where the decoys are and explain first come first serve. It is irritating some times that people think they can leave their dekes and claim a spot it just doesnt work that way, on private land maybe but not public land where the blinds are used by everyone.
    I cant see takeing them I dont need more decoys, and dont want to haul anymore than I have too anyways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast