Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pack frame dilemma

Default Pack frame dilemma

I found that my Nimrod Pack frame gave me problems packing moose out this fall. I adjusted it properly but have never had it pack a load comfortably. I've carried heavy packs with little difficulty while hiking/scouting but even the lightest loads on this expensive pack frame kill my body. Does anyone have a favorite pack? I've been eyeballing Cabela's Alaskan Pack because I've heard some good things about it, but I'm open to other's experience. Also, has anyone had difficulty with the Nimrod Pack like I have? Thanks guys/gals.

Default Cabelas Alaska Frame Pack

I've had a Cabelas Alaska Frame pack for about six years now. I've used it to pack out two elk, deer, antelope and have taken it on a handful of backpacking trips. However, I can't say I've really "put it to the test." Meaning I've never loaded it down with 100 pounds of meat or gear to see how it handles. With 40 - 70 pounds or so, the shoulder straps and waist belt work fine in my opinion. Maybe next year I'll get to put some moose or caribou on it to see how it handles up here

I just got done packing my 18th moose with my Cabelas pack frame and it finally did it in. It needed replaced about 3 moose ago but I made it last.

When we broke camp to fly out I kissed it goodbye and thanked it for the hard work it had done and then burnt it on the fire so I would be forced to buy my new one for next year.

It will without a doubt be a Barneys Pinnacle pack.

Default cableas

Just got done using my cableas for the first time to pack a caribou through the tundra and it work great. Hoping to give it a chance to prove it self on a moose next year.

Default barneys

i just got done with my goat hunt and i used a barneys pack.this this was super comfortable no shifting great suspension and very strong,they are expensive but well worth the price.here is a pic of the asst. guide,me and packer with our barneys packs.

Default Cabelas

I've used mine for the last four years, its done great with two moose three caribou, two brown bears and three blackies. If you do get a Cabelas pack go for the Extreme Alaskan Outfitter. My hunting partner has the Alaskan Guide model, by the end of our last hunt (he just bought his) he wished he would have gotten the same on as I. The removable pockets, rain fly, and hydration bladder alone make it better than the others plus its only 7lb 14oz. I've heard the Barneys packs are the cats ***** but I just can not bring myself to spend more that twice as much as I did for my Cabelas pack when I have never had a problem with it even with an entire rear moose quarter on my back.

I couldn't get a large moose hind in the Cabelas pack bag. I had to strap it to just the frame.

The Barneys Pinnacle pack you can slip a large hind in with no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by 375ultramag View Post
    I couldn't get a large moose hind in the Cabelas pack bag. I had to strap it to just the frame.

The Barneys Pinnacle pack you can slip a large hind in with no problem.
    I completely agree with you on Barney's packs. I have the Super Moose and it was able to fit a whole moose hind quarter without too much difficulty. Carrying it a few miles through the brush was another topic though! My hunting partner had an older Kelty Tioga and the frame bowed in and the straps were coming loose at the seams. My Super Moose had no such issues.

I started out many years ago with the old wooden (laminated) GI packboard. I added a waiststrap and over the years have packed in a ton (or two) of meat. It finally wore out (the airlines busted off all the corners). I could lash almost anything on that board and, if I could stand up, I could carry it.

Other than the waist strap, the only shortcoming of the GI board was the absence of tie down hooks at the top and bottom of the board. I added a small strip of angle aluminum with lashing holes.

Consquently, I paid a lot of money for pack frames over the next few years. The Cabelas Packer nearly killed me, packing out a black bear. (We simply gutted him then lashed him on. My partner helped get the load up.)

The frame didn't fit me! I am short waisted. The waist strap was too low and the upper part of the frame restricted head movement.

Other frames had other problems. Mostly, lack of lashing options and coming apart at the worst times. Some fairly good frames came with cheapo straps making them worthless until new parts were added. On one, the welds gave way!

So, I looked and looked until I found a new, unused, old, GI packboard.
    I applied a custom epoxy paint job, added the top/bottom tie-down strips, a very nice padded waist belt and I am still using it today. I think this particular board was made in the 1950's.

Call me an old codger. Go ahead.

Default barney's pack is the way to go

the only problem ive had with it is that i have the big bag and you can put way too much stuff in it...i replaced the shoulder straps on it this year after 6 years of hard hard use, over 70 days a year. i've carried moose, brown/black bear, sheep, deer, caribou. i bought the back before i moved up here and i used it to hunt deer in michigan....carrying my treestand and all kinds of stuff for miles....i actually shot a deer once and i gutted and put it in the pack whole and walked out...even almost had an opportunity at another deer. i wouldn't go hunting up here without that pack. i even take it fishing...you put a moose hind leg in that big bag and all you can see is the shank bone sticking out....i've even put my legs down inside it to block the wind... this summer i went hiking in hatchers pass with my girlfriend and her 5yr old daughter....of course the little girl got tired...so i just told her to jump in and look over my shoulders.....no problem....the only thing i don't like about the new frames and setup is that you can't really adjust the heighth of where the shoulder straps connect to the frame...but my buddy who has the new one doesn't care...i wouldn't trade mine for anything and i wouldn't consider anything else....one thing that i did do though since i had the big bag was remove the top bar and the meat shelf.. the big bag covers the shelf anyway...and i can't take my bag off that easy because its bolted on instead of using the pins and rings that make too much noise....the new straps i put on do squeek some but its just a matter of adjusting the shoulder strap tension... but i don't even know why they put the top bar on there...waste of metal and a pain in the keister in the thick
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Default The "Alaskan Guide"... heh

Quote Originally Posted by sean77 View Post
    I've used mine for the last four years, its done great with two moose three caribou, two brown bears and three blackies. If you do get a Cabelas pack go for the Extreme Alaskan Outfitter. My hunting partner has the Alaskan Guide model...
    I would like to meet the "Extreme Alaskan Outfitter" himself, or even the "Alaskan Guide" that these packs are named after. I have not personally met a guide in Alaska who has been at it very long, that uses either of these packs. I think this is just marketing, folks. Spend the money once and you will not be sorry. Take it from the folks who make their living doing this- the REAL Alaska guides.

Get the Barney's pack.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I guess you could call this hijacking the thread, but after my hunt in AK, I found the pack I have been using as a day pack is just not big enough, by half.

My guide had a pack frame made of some sort of hard plastic, very tough, with a smaller pack attached to it, and it seemed to work really well. He said he could pack a lot of meat, horns etc. with no problem.

I have looked at the Barneys packs after all the good press here, and two questions have arisen.

1. On Barneys web site, the add for the pinnacle says the frame is not included, but I cannot find frames on the site. Can someone tell me where to look for frames or am I just reading left handed.

2. Is the pinnacle too big to use as a day pack, with rain gear, food for the day, water and all the other associated gear I seem to carry, or can I use a good frame and attach a slightly smaller pack to it for most situations and use the pinnacle when I have to carry my house on my back.

oz
    il vaut mieux Ítre bon que la chance

Quote Originally Posted by ozhunter View Post
    I guess you could call this hijacking the thread, but after my hunt in AK, I found the pack I have been using as a day pack is just not big enough, by half.

My guide had a pack frame made of some sort of hard plastic, very tough, with a smaller pack attached to it, and it seemed to work really well. He said he could pack a lot of meat, horns etc. with no problem.

I have looked at the Barneys packs after all the good press here, and two questions have arisen.

1. On Barneys web site, the add for the pinnacle says the frame is not included, but I cannot find frames on the site. Can someone tell me where to look for frames or am I just reading left handed.

2. Is the pinnacle too big to use as a day pack, with rain gear, food for the day, water and all the other associated gear I seem to carry, or can I use a good frame and attach a slightly smaller pack to it for most situations and use the pinnacle when I have to carry my house on my back.

oz

the frame you have to buy is right above the pinnacle bag on barneys web page,it is called carnivor freighter frame it is $249.00.you buy this frame and the you pick the bag you need and add it to the frame,so to get the deal is going to run around $500.00 + shipping,and this set up will last a real long time.

The pack I have is a Cabela's Outfitter pack. The pack is great, carries a load well, etc. I like the padded scope compartment. I like the small exterior compartments for snacks, etc. I like the rifle holder. It is just too darn heavy. The pack, totally empty weighs almost 13 lbs! After hunting with it again this year, I decided to sell it and get something lighter. perhaps a Barney's pack. So if anyone is looking for a slightly heavy pack for a good price, send me a PM!

cabelas are heavier than the barneys packs, dont' last as long, don't ride as wel, have to many straps and buckles that don't do anything and the material isn't as durable. and as mike posted, i've never seen a guide use one either and i've seen a few guides. gotta be saying something when the guys that need the best gear DON'T use the cabela's pack...i own three barney's packs and i use like they mean it, they'd get sad if i didn't abuse them. i think a cabela's pack would cry if i used it like a barneys...i know the clients under them do.
    barney's....the caddy pack.(simialar to cad-il-ac)
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default internal frame packs

I have seen where lots of hunters are now using internal frame packs. Do they work as well as the external frames for packing your moose out?
    At first look it seems like it would not be possible to attach a hind quarter very easily if it does not fit into the bag, but I could be wrong.
    Thanks

Default Barneys packs

I'm usually the guy who suffers because he's too cheap to spend the money for top gear... I spent a season packing lots of moose/goats near cordova and had a pack that was basically a cabelas outfitter type on a freighter frame. Halfway thru the season a partner and I were packing out a double load (hind quarter/ribs/neck meat) in one trip to get it out of the swamp to higher ground and at one point we switched packs because he had the heavier load (in a barneys pack). I was AMAZED how comfortable it was even with 150 lbs!!! I offered to carry the heavier load the rest of the way but he turned me down because he'd rather carry the heavy load in a good pack than a lighter load in a standard pack. As soon as I got to town I bought a set of barneys shoulder straps and waist belt for my freighter frame and threw the others in the basement (where they still sit, 8 years later). IMO, spend the money and get the Barneys....

I bought the Cabelas Alaska II pack in 2000 and loved the thing. It was a little on the heavy side, but never let me down for packing and was comfortable. I sacrificed it during a rather nasty bear encounter in 05' so I decided to replace it with the Cabelas Outfitter extreme guide model pack. I figured, if the cheaper one was good to me the top of the line model would be even better. WRONG! I suffered thru a sheep hunt in 06' with that shifty rascal and then went bow hunting in Montana later that month. A guy I was hunting with had the same pack and all we did was complain about how much we hated those packs.

I really didn't recall exactly how much I disliked it til packing out moose this season. I'll make sure to have a barney's pack before next season.

you guys talking about that bobs pack frames , the camp trail pack frames are just as good if not better and are 3/4ths the price
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 10-02-2007 at 22:27. Reason: inappropriate language

AK375HH

I can admit I have not been a fan of Barneys in the past. I feel they have been way over priced and I actually boycotted the place for a long time.

But when it comes to packs you cannot beat them. Period.

Do some homework as a camp trails frame isn't the same pack. If it was Guides and many hunters wouldn't be spending the money he asks.

Like everything out there it is market driven. If there wasn't a market for a 500 dollar pack set up people wouldn't buy it.

It's not all rah rah and I am not a big fan of Barneys but his pack takes the cake.

Just like Sitka Gear. If it doesn't work it won't be around long as it is not cheap.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast