Thread: A hunt of highs and lows

Default A hunt of highs and lows

Hay all

Just got home to oz today after my hunt. Man what a trip, a lot of highs and a couple of lows. I posted a pic of my grizz in the photo gallery, but here it is again. I hunted 20a right on the Wood River. Had a great time in Alaska. Everybody i met was real friendly. A big thanks to Snyd for letting me into his house and food sight unseen. I lost the first day of my hunt due to weather stopping the plane from flying. Finally got hunting on the second scheduled hunting day. To try and stop me ranting, I'll try and put the rest in point form.

THE HIGHS

- On the frist hunting day, shot at a wolf. Neither my guide or myself didn't notice I was trying to shoot through the snow a foot in front of the muzzle. And glassed a Dall ram that would have gone 45" (in my guides opinion) I am going to try and get a still off the video I got or post some of it on youtube, beautiful animal, didn't know if I could take him, got the go ahead from the outfitter two days after the season ended

- Put a stalk on a big ol' Black Bear, but while we where going through a gully that had us unsighted, a BIG blonde grizz must have ran him off, cause thats what was standing in the Black Bears place when we topped out. The wind and terrain ruined any chance of a stalk on the blonde.

- Saw a real nice Caribou Bull, but didn't draw a tag

- Spotted two Bull Moose bedded in a clearing from about a mile away and commenced to stalk them. Same deal again, whilst we were unsighted TWO grizz came into the same clearing and pushed the Moose out. Shot one of the bears, went straight down, but got up and took off when we got close. Then we had a wounded grizz to follow up. My guide did a fantastic job and about a 1/4 mile later we were about 29 feet from a wounded bear in the willow. We both fired about the same time and the bear chose to run away from us instead of over us we ran to where we could see the South end of a North bound bear and shot again. A big roar from teh bear and it layed still. Magnificent animal. Fur about 3 or 4 inches long, good sized head (F&G measured it at just over 22 inches) A very pleased hunter. Made it back to the cabin a little past midnight.

- Saw another pack of wolves from too far away to do anything about being led by a big black animal.

THE LOWS

- Not scoring on a Moose

- Only saw four Bull Moose the whole 9 days

- Stalked to within 40 yards of a Bull with 3 brow tines but just couldn't stretch him to 50 inches so we let him live to breed another day.

- All and sundry said they have never seen the moose so late coming off the flats into the mountains (must have heard I was in town)

- Getting the nod from the outfitter to shoot the big Dall two days after the season closed and my guide not knowing whether I should shoot or not

- The outfitter. 'nough said. If you want details PM me (check my old threads and you will see who I went with)

Had a blast though. Seen lots of critters and I am told (please correct me if this is wrong) that my bear is on the bigger end for interior grizz. Don't know what it squared, but estimated at 6 1/2 to 7 foot.

Thanks to everyone that gave me advice on the forums and you can bet I will be back.

Cheers

oz
    il vaut mieux Ítre bon que la chance

I am glad you were able to connect on such a good looking Grizz! Sounds like you had a good hunting experience overall though. If Alaska is one thing that is unpredictable! Hope you are able to make it back for another hunt or just to visit.

Oh, you can be assured that this aussie will be back in Alaska just as soon as I can get there. It sure was a great hunt.

Default sorry we missed you

Snyd said you were coming in, but we were heading out at that time. Would have been fun to visit, but I know you were in good hands with that guy. Can't imagine a more gracious host.
    Sounds like a good experience all in all. And however low the lows were, they sure did not get you beat down. Never know what next time will bring. And now you have contacts to help smooth things out a bit.
    So congratulations on your adventure,

Default quality hunt

Sounds like the hunt was a complete success. You didn't come home empty handed and you were able to experience alaska in so many different ways. I can't understand the guide not knowing. Did you have a extra tag or what was reason he didn't know? Sorry I'm not that familar with the sheep regs. Congrats on a wonderful hunt!!

i've heard of another guide up in the wood who told his clients to shoot a ram and was 2 days past season as well...hummmmm
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

a 45 inch ram and the guide didnt take you after it. A 45 inch ram in 20A. Hmmmmm.

Yeah, 45 inch does sound big, it is not a number I have seen bandied around when talking sheep, but this guy was big. I did not have a sheep tag but i was told I could have used my grizz tag for the sheep because of the value thing and he wasn't in a controlled use area, to the best of my knowledge. A NR Alien Grizz tag is $650 and a sheep is $550. For the record, no one told me to kill the ram after the season closed, but I was asked by the person who flew me out of the bush if my guide had killed the ram, he was asked that question by F&G. I don't know what was going on there, but something sounded a lot odd. I will post some video of the ram somewhere so everyone can see and we'll see what the consensus is on length. We were difinitley in 20a and we also saw another band of sheep, ewes and lambs, on the other side of the river.

For my curiosity, how is a ram measured to come with the final measurement i.e. 45 inches?

oz

Quote Originally Posted by ozhunter View Post
    For my curiosity, how is a ram measured to come with the final measurement i.e. 45 inches?

oz
    Sheep are measured along the circumference of the outside of the horn. 45 inches indicates the length of the horn. You're right in saying that you haven't heard such a number being bandied around here, for such a length is nearly unheard of. Not impossible, but highly uncommon.

I also think the guide was not being totally honest with you about Moose habits. They don't come to the high country from the flats in the fall. Matter of fact, you were in prime summer/fall range for Moose, if you were seeing the critters you posted of. Therefore, I would conclude that area is devoid of Moose. They leave that area in late fall and head to the flats. I know the area in and around Dry Creek and Wood River real well. Moose and Caribou have been hit hard by the bears and wolves over the past decade. If you choose to return, I would suggest you concentrate your Moose Hunt to the west a few hundred miles. Way better genetics for Moose out that way and less pressure. If you are willing to pay the big bucks, it just makes sense to go where you can get what you hope for.

Default Imho

To me a 45" ram is like a true 9' interior griz - sort of a once in a life time sighting....just to help you judge the relative uniqueness of such a ram. 13 yo is also somewhat on the exceptional side for a ram (with 10 to 12 years old being more of the upper limits of max age) and certainly consistent with his size.