Just got home to oz today after my hunt. Man what a trip, a lot of highs and a couple of lows. I posted a pic of my grizz in the photo gallery, but here it is again. I hunted 20a right on the Wood River. Had a great time in Alaska. Everybody i met was real friendly. A big thanks to Snyd for letting me into his house and food sight unseen. I lost the first day of my hunt due to weather stopping the plane from flying. Finally got hunting on the second scheduled hunting day. To try and stop me ranting, I'll try and put the rest in point form.
- On the frist hunting day, shot at a wolf. Neither my guide or myself didn't notice I was trying to shoot through the snow a foot in front of the muzzle. And glassed a Dall ram that would have gone 45" (in my guides opinion) I am going to try and get a still off the video I got or post some of it on youtube, beautiful animal, didn't know if I could take him, got the go ahead from the outfitter two days after the season ended
- Put a stalk on a big ol' Black Bear, but while we where going through a gully that had us unsighted, a BIG blonde grizz must have ran him off, cause thats what was standing in the Black Bears place when we topped out. The wind and terrain ruined any chance of a stalk on the blonde.
- Saw a real nice Caribou Bull, but didn't draw a tag
- Spotted two Bull Moose bedded in a clearing from about a mile away and commenced to stalk them. Same deal again, whilst we were unsighted TWO grizz came into the same clearing and pushed the Moose out. Shot one of the bears, went straight down, but got up and took off when we got close. Then we had a wounded grizz to follow up. My guide did a fantastic job and about a 1/4 mile later we were about 29 feet from a wounded bear in the willow. We both fired about the same time and the bear chose to run away from us instead of over us we ran to where we could see the South end of a North bound bear and shot again. A big roar from teh bear and it layed still. Magnificent animal. Fur about 3 or 4 inches long, good sized head (F&G measured it at just over 22 inches) A very pleased hunter. Made it back to the cabin a little past midnight.
- Saw another pack of wolves from too far away to do anything about being led by a big black animal.
- Not scoring on a Moose
- Only saw four Bull Moose the whole 9 days
- Stalked to within 40 yards of a Bull with 3 brow tines but just couldn't stretch him to 50 inches so we let him live to breed another day.
- All and sundry said they have never seen the moose so late coming off the flats into the mountains (must have heard I was in town)
- Getting the nod from the outfitter to shoot the big Dall two days after the season closed and my guide not knowing whether I should shoot or not
- The outfitter. 'nough said. If you want details PM me (check my old threads and you will see who I went with)
Had a blast though. Seen lots of critters and I am told (please correct me if this is wrong) that my bear is on the bigger end for interior grizz. Don't know what it squared, but estimated at 6 1/2 to 7 foot.
Thanks to everyone that gave me advice on the forums and you can bet I will be back.