Thread: Juneau Goats?

Default Juneau Goats?

Anyone try to arrow a goat in the bow hunt only area around here? Anyone have any advice? Any advice in general on bowhunting goats? Should be a sufferfest, can't wait
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

buddy of mine hunts it pretty regularlary, or that area. Says there are very very few goats around. Dont think he's hunted it yet this year but from what he's seen it's looking slim.

Sorry I can't help you on them. He's shot a few now around the juneau area.

Default little experience

2 years ago we climbed up out of JNU for bow only goats. It was severe clear and hot the whole time, no kidding. I got a stalk on one, but he pegged me at about 80 yards, so back up and out I go. Then my buddy and his boy go up over the top to a pass above where Mr. Billie headed. My son and I started a slow march up behind him and gently moved him the right direction. At one point we were both hanging out in space in not very promising surroundings.
    We made it up and over and my friend made a great 20 yard shot on a record book billie. We boned the meat out on an ice field and spent the night laying back to back on the moss in just our clothes. there were goats around, but not a lot of huntable billies that we could see for sure.
    He lives there in JNU and went back up to another spot this fall. He found old beds from last year but nothing fresh. He is a very good hunter, and said it looked like your folks tough winter was even harder on the animals.
    My guess is that the whole area is hammered. Pickings may be very slim. If you do go, be sure you talk with F&G about shooting billies vs nannies. They shut the whole place down when more than a couple females are taken out of the area.
    Maybe go talk with the local flight tour operators. Never know what those guys might be seeing. I know they were up there flying every day we were hunting.

hunted it few years ago(????maybe 8-10) with two younger friends in mid Oct, winter came 2 weeks early that year. took boat around to south side of area. saw some but tough with fresh snow. no close encounters. one of the guys took 20-30 slide with small Avalance, luckily small hill to trees and no harm.
    good supportive boots (i use older koflach green plastic mtn.boots), 4 point cramp on's, 150+ feet of rope and long handled Mtn. axe are musts in my book. DON'T DRESS TOO HEAVILY FOR CLIMB. i wear long johns and nylon running shorts if not too windy and raining. good leather gloves. safety glasses to protect eyes from brush ( friend scratched cornea and could not shoot bow one year) go off mtn. same way you get up there. mark back trail with " bright eyes" so if coming out in dark you can find your way easier. head lamp very useful as well.
    expect lots of windy wet weather. synthetics and good rain gear
    get above them.
    they can not count! if you and partner are spotted , one get out of sight and continue stalk while other mills around in plan veiw worked for us once when busted at 3-400 yards , except partner missed 100 yard shot (rifle)
    good luck and be safe
    they are my favorite critter to hunt. but may never get to hunt them again.....getting too old. may try once more with my pistol?????
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER