Thread: Rex area camping

Default Rex area camping

Are there any good campgrounds or camping areas near Rex or the Rex trail? Going up with the camper and 4 wheeler in two weeks. Thanks.

You can park at the Clear Sky lodge which is right across the highway from the Rex trail. or better option for the motor home would be to talk to Jim and/or Vixxie at the Rochester Lodge. They have a big parking lot behind the lodge. I am not sure what they charge to park there or if they do. The last couple years we bought a room ($80) the first night we were there and they let us park our 2 trucks with goose neck trailers there for the next 10 days, while we were out hunting, free of charge.
    Jim and vixxie are nice people. I bet you could work something out with them pretty easy. Make a good enough arangement with them you might get breakfast and coffee every morning. (Its a family style lodge).

If you want to tent camp along the trail, there are a few areas that have become unofficial camp sights along the trail. Depending on how far in you want to go everyday, will determine if it is better to tent camp or run the trail back to the lodge/camper. Pray that the trail is froze up when you get there. It was NASTY when we came out Tuesday. Luckily though, the rivers have come down in level a lot since our trip in ten days prior.

The Rex trail Starts right at the Rochester. You can take off on your wheeler right from their driveway.

Good Luck. (don't forget your brown bear tag, stay alert for prvious gut piles along the traiil)

Default Not to hijack the thread, but...

AK4Life,

What were the trail conditions when you came out? Was it still pretty sloppy? Was the ice pretty thick on the rut-puddles yet? Thick enough to ride on? How far back did you get? Was there ice-damming at the first or second creek?

If you just want to park a single night the Clear or the Rochester are fine places. I'm kinda partial to those Clear Sky Lodge steaks after a hard run on the trail...

IceKing02

Exclamation IceKing02

The farthest point in that we made it, was about 5 miles past Fish creek. It got fairly cold in that area but we never saw more than about 3/4 inch ice on the puddles. The closer to the lodge we came the less ice I saw. There wasnt any thing damming up with ice as of then. The nip was in the air. I bet it wont be long.
    The trail was NASTY. Our list of broken parts this trip was enough to be compiled into a short story.

P.S. This should be started in a new thread BUT: DNR was flying down the trail in a helicopter all the way to the Wood River giving warnings that next year a 1,500 lbs weight restriction will be enforced.

Apparently (this second part is here-say) The complaints have been about of the buggies with tires, but the 1,500 lbs. limit will include track rigs as well. They did say there may be a possibility to have a permit granted. We will see........ Most people I talked to want it to be based on a ground pressure criteria.