Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pinochle

Default Pinochle

Has anyone been on this trail recently? I am hoping to ride this trail next Friday and I am wondering about trail conditions. I hear it has snowed in Eureka and I know that white stuff will only be creeping down the Glenn. I am hoping it will be traversable next weekend.

I may try it on Sunday if the weather (and wife) permits. Will let you know. She rides also, but I don't want to take her down (or up) the HILL!

Barlinator, if you do go and make it to the infamous hill update me on the conditions. I have made it up and down this hill in some of the worst summer conditions but an icy hill will definately make me think twice. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Barlinator View Post
    I may try it on Sunday if the weather (and wife) permits. Will let you know. She rides also, but I don't want to take her down (or up) the HILL!
    Watch the ribs!!! Especially, 1 -10...on the right side. Thanks for the plastic...Looks like it will come in hand. Got a spare pod, front bumper, front rack, front storage box, front right side light, rear rack, and rims? If so, let me know.

AKMuddy
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

I hear you on the ribs Muddy. Have been keeping up on her progress and understand she is doing a bit better!!!

Gremlin. Due to the crap weather today, did not get out.

What an awesome trip!!!! one of my all time favorites!

When we arrived at the trailhead it was snowing and bone chilling cold. Every mud hole was covered with about three inches of ice. The ice made for one of the smoothest pinochle trips I have ever been on. For the summer Pinochle riders you might now what I am talking about. By the look of Hick's Creek Hill some hunters had a bad trip. If you had trouble at Hick's Creek Hill send me a pm I'll be more than welcome to help you out before the hill is covered with snow and ice. Make it QUICK!

Our total round trip was every bit of 50 miles, and we could have easily traveled farther if it wasn't for the lack of day light. I have never been on an atv trip with as many exhilarating high points. I love Knik but this trail takes heart and dedication, and to top it off it's much more fun. To be blunt this trail isn't for the faint of heart. Two legs may be able to take you up almost vertical mountains you can't get their without an wheels.

It's all about the adventure.

Default Pinochle

Guess you went on Saturday. I was headed up there and decided to do Kings River instead as I knew I would not take the wife and girlfriend down the hill. That would not allow for much riding. Ended up stopping at Kings River for a ride. Had a nice Knik ride yesterday. While there was a bit more mud than usual in the woods, several of the water crossings are nonexistant. If the weather holds, I am making a guys trip to Hicks next saturday.

What happended to the hunters Gremlin? Any secrets to the hill? I have only taken the main trail down and up. I have seen a little used trail a bit to the north that goes down the hill. Is it any better/worse?

The hill wasn't too bad. There were deep ruts that was troublesome for a SRA machine but any IRS machine will do just fine. There are some mogules half way up the hill that can be dangerous if the rider is not leaning as far forward as possible, but otherwise the freeze made most of the mud like concrete. Small atv's will float right on top of the ice. That's if it has re-froze from me busting through the ice at every mud hole. My machine is much heavier and couldn't float on top of the ice.

An argo trailer was left half way up the hill. It looked functional but had a bum tire. I assume the ruts were too much for an argo with a trailer and just couldn't make it up. I let it be, but I would tow it to the top with the owners permission.

The picture I posted is an older one but I wanted to show the scenary of the area.

It is a great ride. I think that anywhere you busted through will be rock hard by Saturday. I hear you on weight forward. A couple of weeks ago, I was going up a really steep, smooth, loose rock hill. I hit it fast and put all my weight above the handle bars. At exactly the steepest part, the machine stopped immediatly and slid the the bottom of the hill with the brake set. While my weight distribution was fine, I managed to hit the kill switch!! Luckily is slid straight back and did not go sideways or it would have rolled.

This is one trail I have not been on yet, would like to go. Maybe next summer we could hook up for a run?

Default Boulder or

Guys, I'm not exactly sure if this is the same hill you all are talking about. I parked at the 91 mm of the Glenn. Rode up the hill then got on the Boulder Creek trail. This hill was doable with the last 50 feet being rather steep at the top. Coming back down was a little un-nerving. This was this past Sunday. Saw 2 real nice bulls with several cows and 3 sheep. Actually, right next to the wheeler are several sheep tracks. Hadn't been up this trail in all the times I've ridden Boulder. Someone help fill me in..Is this the same trail?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    EricL

Well, after looking at WG's picture some more, I'm guessing it is a different area. Where is the trail head for this ride??
    EricL

mile 91 sounds about right. You can see Matanuska Glacier from the parking lot, but your pictures do not look like Pinochle.

Here's a picture of the hill.

Maybe, next weekend, we could organize a forum ride at Pinochle. That's if you don't mind the cold, and or, getting up early. It's an hour and a half drive from ER.

Default if its sunday

i would be in forsure would really enjoy another wide
    if it saturday i will probably have to work but if not i would still be in

Quote Originally Posted by EricL View Post
    Guys, I'm not exactly sure if this is the same hill you all are talking about. I parked at the 91 mm of the Glenn. Rode up the hill then got on the Boulder Creek trail. This hill was doable with the last 50 feet being rather steep at the top. Coming back down was a little un-nerving. This was this past Sunday. Saw 2 real nice bulls with several cows and 3 sheep. Actually, right next to the wheeler are several sheep tracks. Hadn't been up this trail in all the times I've ridden Boulder. Someone help fill me in..Is this the same trail?
    The Pinchole trail goes into Caribou Creek, not Boulder Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    The Pinchole trail goes into Caribou Creek, not Boulder Creek.
    If you take the trail far enouph it's supposed to go allthe way to boulder. Havnt made it that far. Usually when I go there I hang a left at the lake and head up the mountain. Last week I made it up high enouph to stall my machine. Thats only cause I didn't rejet it for the altitude. I was about 2200ft above the recomended max for my Jetting. EFI would be nice

Quote Originally Posted by mr soft View Post
    If you take the trail far enouph it's supposed to go allthe way to boulder. Havnt made it that far. Usually when I go there I hang a left at the lake and head up the mountain. Last week I made it up high enouph to stall my machine. Thats only cause I didn't rejet it for the altitude. I was about 2200ft above the recomended max for my Jetting. EFI would be nice
    That left trail at the lake is a deadend, that's a pik taken at the top where it deadends that WG has posted in this thread. You have to keep going down to Caribou and turn left in order to put on any miles in the Pinochle trail system. Somebody fed you some bum info if they said they drove a atv over Chitna Pass to Boulder Creek. It's a Caribou/Sheep Trail and I've gone as far up it as anyone, I'd like to see some maniac go past where I turned around People have MADE IT on snowmachine and people have DIED trying on snowmachine. How about a 1500 foot DROP!
    Like I said you have to go down Divide Creek to Caribou Creek and then turn left and keep going FOR HOURS if you want to see the BEST of Pinochle trail.

Man guys, I'm making notes for next spring already!! Thanks for the info.
    EricL

Eric L's ride started at the "Puritan Creek/Boulder Creek" trailhead MM 91, there is also a trailhead at MM 89 right across the bridge to the left, usually tons of hunters camping at that one. That ride he took is kinda short but the views are spectacular and by far my favorite ride...real easy to miss the turn up to the top of the mountain if you dont know where to look for it...If you miss it you hit one hell of a mud bog and end up down by a river...after looking at Water Gremlins photo I'm looking foreward to trying the Pinochle trail...not to sure I have the skills though...photos were from the top looking down
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast