Thread: Last Hunt of the season

Default Last Hunt of the season

Well it's the last weekend of Sept. After countless hours of shooting my bow at 3-D targets and a block from known and unknown distances and angels, in the open and in the field....I'm going to be taking my bow out for a two day hunting trip for antlerless in 20A. I'm actually supposed to be going as a camera man for a buddy, but if I see me a moose and feel confident, and my buddy already has his....I may or may not take my shot. I guess we'll see what happens. I'll let everyone know how it went when I get back.

good luck!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thumbs up Last Chance Hunt

A friend and myself went thursday after my work. He drove the 4 hours while i sleep. Sure felt good! Saw a wolf on side of road before Cantwell (big old grey and pot belly). Just on the other side of Denali town on the rocky slides saw lots of sheep. When we got to zone 3 we found a spot to set up tent 11:00 am. We loaded up and decided to go explore and get familure with area having not been their before. Went about 12 miles saw a moose on side of hill. Thinking it was a cow dropped friend off to stalk up hill ( his choice) I went around and side hilled. I had field of vision. When friend started up in trees the moose went running straight down hill to him. That's when i realized it was a bull! My friend could hear somthing but couldn't see anything. Now my friend is between moose and myself. I start barking at him and the bull is responding and comes out in open posturing like king of mountain and friend hasn't noticed yet(40 yards) Bull let out a grunt that's when it gets funny needless to say. My friend noticed then. He said the bull looked really big and he felt pretty small. He scared the bull off it was pretty exciting for him. First time seeing angry moose that close. Then we decide to go back down the hill to some trails we saw and start hiking this one and go about 20 yards and see 2 lynxs really cool. We follow the trail for awhile and see nothing but rabbits On the way back to 4wheeler we hear a cow calling. We head back up the road to another trail that we seen that went to water. We start hiking down trail it got real brushy but easy walking. We went about 75 yards and a cow steps out in front of me. Less than 20 yrds stuck her through the heart and in less than 5 min all she wrote. Shot at 7:45 pm and back to truck 12:00 am sitting at campfire. Very good day for us and something to enjoy till next year.

Default goods story and good luck

Diamond, good luck to you. Glad to hear you have been practicing and now I hope it pays off for you. Even if you don't get to release an arrow, just to be in range, knocked, and ready, is a real heart throbbing event.
    Pappy, good story. Sounds like a great place to be. Wish you had video to get the look on your buddies face with that bull. A wolf and lynx in the same trip and hares to boot? Wow, sounds like heaven to me.

hey Ak Diamond I had a cow spotted for anyone who needed help,and was saving it for daveinthebush when he was coming up here,but I musta missed when he came up,the two days ago I seen someone in that spot with a bow,now Im racking my brain over here trying to figute out where I seen some cows.Anyhow good luck to you all.Daniel

Default Failure but still a success in my book

Thanks to everyone for the good luck wishes. Man what a hunt. My buddy that i was supposed to be taping for didn't have a bow certification so he didn't even hunt. but I got withen 20 yeards of a HUGE cow. We saw it about 300 yeards out and I stocked it to about 60 yards before I love it in the trees. Got frustrated and decided to get back on the road and back to the 4-wheelers. when we got back on the road we saw it eating just inside the woodline about 20 yards from us. I felt my heart was going to explode. I nocked my arrow, and started looking for a clear shot through the brush. I drew back and the dang cow took about 4 steps forward and out of the opening. I stayed at full draw for about 45 secs looking for a shot but couldn't find one. So my buddy tried to push it foward a little bit more and that didn't work. It ended up spooking the Moose and we didn't see it again for about 5-6 hours. We spotted it again next to a beaver **** and again lost it in the tree line. Then while we were looking again we spotted a grizz, and then another grizz was circling around us, and then it started to get dark, so we decided to take that those things a sign that maybe we should get out of there. Exciting hunt to say the least. Came home with nothing but stories to tell. But you know what....I don't even care. It was a hell of a hunt.

Default Great

Great going! Glad you had a good experience. Now you are probably hooked with archery. The thrill of being so close to an animal is fantastic.

Hope to get my cow this weekend.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012