Thread: Something different......

Default Something different......

....something better.

This has often been my response to the question; "Why would you want that wildcat"?

Not always better but almost always different. It doesn't have to do something that any existant cartridge can't do, but often it adds a versatility to the old hum-drum calibers. The WSM family of what is rapidly becoming outlaw calibers, is a good place to try the something different. I have done this many times just because I can and sometimes it doesn't go very well, but usually it is a very good working caliber. The easiest cartridge case I have ever tried to wildcat is the WSM case. When necking it up to the bore diameter that never was I find it capable of a very broad range velocities and bullet weights. The 358 WSM for instance can be loaded down to below 35 Whelen velocities or well above that old favorite's performance. You can make it as mild as you want for whitetail deer in grampa's orchard or throttled up for that once in a life time trip to Kodiak for coastal brown bears. Isn't that what we call an all around rifle?

Certainly the 35 Whelen has its followers and the 350 Rem Mag is gaining in popularity again. There are also several fans of the 358 Norma and some attention to other 35 caliber wildcats. It seems the 358 Nukalpiaq has recieved its share of attention after only a very brief exposure. So for you 35 caliber lovers how about this 358 WSM, it doesn't really have an official name, so you could do the honors.

It was skipped over by my gunsmith friend when he made these WSM's into big bores, his 338 to 416 Alaska Express calibers. I made the 358 WSM back in '01 along with the 338 and the 365. There was about three rifles of each made back then but all are much loved by their owners who had their own reasons for wanting something different. My 365 Jorge, (the name of the owner) as it is called, seems to be the most unusual caliber in elk hunting camp but always one of the most effective. The owner seems to revel in hearing the question; "What caliber is that dang thing anyway"? Or just, "What size is that bore"?

I think the 338 and 358 are more realistic and down to earth, particularly when trying to find good bullets, as is the 375, but it is a little heavy as a good deer caliber, except with the excellent 235 grain Speer semi-spitzer. The 338 is the equal of the fine 338-06 with a little added thump at the long line, so it is an extremely versatile round. It is not the equal of the 338 Win Mag, but may very well replace it for someone who has grown tired of the 338 mag's level of recoil. It would just require a little closer stalk.

If you're looking for something different or for somethin in between the old standards and the established heavier mags, you might consider a custom rifle in one of these wildcats. These WSM....Winchester Shouldda Made...calibers.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Smile

Murphy

I couldn't agree more .
    I love wildcat calibers and my last rifle built was just that although it is not a WSM type caliber but a tad larger .
    I had a 500 CCM built for me . The CCM is a Cyrus Compact Magnum and the neck Diameter is .500 just a tad larger than the .338.
    The cartridge used was a 338 DSM (Dakota Short Mag ) that never came to light by the Dakota people although they had a mess of brass made by Jamision brass .
    The 338 DSM case size is the same as the .416 but shorter .
    The rifle builder used this case and necked it up from .338 to .500.
    The range of bullets used for the .500 Dia are quite a few , from cast to jacketed .
    I also can use sabots if I want to go to even a lighter weight of bullet .
    I use sabots in .452 and .429 DIA.
    Hodgdon has a few loads on their reloading page and two of the reduced loads they have with trailboss is my lead bullets , 400 conical (spire point) gas check and a 450 LSWCGC .
    I do have loads worked up for my 700 and 610 Grain FNGC bullets .
    This rifle is now being custom built for customers .

All I can say is when you touch off a 700 in this 8.5 pound rifle you know it .
    I guess I have magnum itis .I love nothing but very Magnum Rifles and Hand cannons .
    I need help !!!!!

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Default 358 Nakiuq (Naki)

Murphy,
    Here is my recommendation for a name: 358 Nakiuq. In the Yup'ik language "nakiuq" is translated to mean; he is a good hunter. And for those folks that prefer a shortened version the cartridge can be called 358 Naki which literally means: to be good at catching game. (The 358 WSM is a good hunter and is good at catching game).
    Now I am just gonna have to save up and plan for another 358. Murphy can I have this name put on my reloading dies, regardless of the final name selected? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    Murphy,
    Here is my recommendation for a name: 358 Nakiuq. In the Yup'ik language "nakiuq" is translated to mean; he is a good hunter. And for those folks that prefer a shortened version the cartridge can be called 358 Naki which literally means: to be good at catching game. (The 358 WSM is a good hunter and is good at catching game).
    Now I am just gonna have to save up and plan for another 358. Murphy can I have this name put on my reloading dies, regardless of the final name selected? Thanks.
    Yeah the 358 Naki, sounds good.

I think Redding will put any name on any of these custom calibers, even though they make it under some generic name. They call this the 35/300 WSM.

I have all of the WSM's from 6.5 to 416, they have been a pretty popular bunch. I have the quote for your Nukalpiaq, e-mail me and I'll send you a copy.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?