Thread: Delta area bison hunt

Default Delta area bison hunt

Other than the less than stellar odds of drawing a tag, what can folks tell me about the Delta area bison hunt? I've always dreamed of a bison hunt and will consider applying next year just in case I get lucky. Do most folks use snow machines during the winter to get their bull or cow out? One other note, just exactly how to you manage to haul out a mature bull? A big moose is one thing, a big bison is.... Well they're big. Those of you who may have participated in this hunt, is it a quality experience? By that I mean it's an enjoyable area to roam around and your odds of encountering critters are pretty decent.

I'll tell you in 2 weeks , Because thats when I drew a tag for ....
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I've heard that you can pay a farmer out there to hunt on his land then he hauls out the meat with his forklift...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

This might be the guy you are talking about out at Delta

http://alaskawildgame.makeswebsites....ellaneous2.htm
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Default Delta area bison hunt

Any idea is the herds spend most of their time on private or public? Likely a combination of both...? If I were to go, I'd likely only be interested in hunting public land. Living in the Dakotas the past 8 years, I had plenty of opportunities to hunt bison on private land for the right price. It would have amounted to little more than shooting one in a big pasture. Definitely not something that interested me. I'm sure the herds up here on private land are free to cross property boundaries and are not fenced, but I can't say I'd be looking to pay to hunt them.

Best of luck on your hunt Roger!

Being lucky enough to have gotten drawn one year then the following my son got drawn, we both took two very nice Bulls on public lands. Now the private lands are nothing like private ranches in the lower forty eight, there really aren't boundaries for the animals, and these fields are huge by any standard, surrounded by some of the thickest cover that the Bison head to at any sign of danger. They are no care free like some of the ranch animals, they are very skittish and wary of any thing.... We traveled by highway 4 X 4 then hit the feet when we spotted the bison, pretty long stalks and a couple busted each time. Once we got an animal down, we were able to drive close to it for butchering. They are very alert to Trucks, ATVs and Snowmobiles. Private land owner normally charge a tresspass fee, ($300.00) if you kill, first come, first served, most of them we met were excellent people. It really isn't bad considering they don't let other hunt on their property while your on it. It is the an outstanding hunt and such good fun, good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    This might be the guy you are talking about out at Delta

http://alaskawildgame.makeswebsites....ellaneous2.htm
    Nope not the farmed animals, I talked to someone who was going up with his buddy who actually drew a bison permit so I assume they plan to hunt wild bison...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Some farmers do mot like to bison on there land. so these farmers tend not to charge any money. Other you can look at paying any where from
    $250-400
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Just make sure that when you do find the bison, and its not on public land make sure you ask permission to hunt on the land before you shoot anything.!!! Take out a few russians while your at it...
    Last edited by AK Trout; 09-29-2007 at 08:21. Reason: spelling

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

We Deltoids find these conversations to be very interesting...

There are three fenced farm herds that usually sell a 2 year old bull for >$2500.....not really a hunt...

The wild herd is managed to a fall population near 500....360 pre-calving, I think is the number....

Early hunts will often find the herd on public lands....take advantage of early hunting if possible....much easier. About half of the harvest is on the Schultz Farm properties....

As Cohoho says, these bison get smart after a bit of hunting and become almost nocturnal.....field feeding at night and spruce hide in daylight.

A tilt bed trailer and a come-along are very handy for loading whole animal...remember your string for tieing off the anus.....pay attention to the anatomy part of the ADF&G class as bison are built different than moose and caribou...make a clean kill in a field....do not let that bison get into the bush....

This can be a very challenging hunt....enjoy it!

VernAK, if you're hunting on one of the private properties and take a buff do the property owners require or appreciate that you dispose of the gut pile, and would it be an advantage to have a 4 wheeler with you or will a 4wd pickup do the job? Thanks for your help...

The Delta bison hunt is a great hunt if you like seeing road hunters, people, roads, farms, livestock, houses and did I mention people. It's neat seeing the bison, but the hunt is less than quality if you like remote hunting experiences. Put in for Farewell if you want to actually have a real hunt

Hatfield,

Most of the landowners don't worry about the guts much as the wolves and ravens will make short work of that mess.....but they want all the bones and especially legs removed so they don't get into combines and mowers etc...

ATVs or snowmobiles can be very useful at times....depends on snow depth.