Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yesterdays Grouse hunt

Default Yesterdays Grouse hunt

I watched the wind all day long and wouldnt you know it,right about the time Im going to get off of work it dies down,and I hit the woods on the way home...Here was the first ruffie 10 minutes into the hunt.

Of course I had to break out the new Weatherby on this one

I managed two ruffies and then I ran into two Sprucies running together.SO I figured why not as I want to see what they are eating.After getting them home I noticed the Spruce have been eating Spruce needles,so thats it for the season on the Spruce Grouse for me.
    And of course the pups had to help me out in the kitchen

Today I went out even tho its real windy and I saw squat,anyhow hope ya'll have a good weekend.Daniel

Default nice picts dan

But how did you get out of the house with the shotgun in your hands without the dogs being upset? I think my old lab knows the difference in sound between the 11-87 for ducks and the ruger Red label which I use for upland birds mostly. He sure gets a forlorn look on his face when a gun goes in the truck and he doesn't.
    great photos, wish I had the knack.

Daniel,

You can always make jerky out of the spruce grouse. Good seasoning and a dehydrater works wonders.

Do you cook your birds whole? I made the mistake of carrying birds around in their own juices before, and decided the best course of action (for me) is to clean them as soon as I kill em.

Default Spuce eating grouse?

Whats wrong with grouse that have been eating spruce? Does their meat taste different than it should?

Question Taste

I was wondering the same. Is there any good recipies for spruce grouse?

Ron

Default recipe

I like to wrap a slice of hickory smoked bacon around each breast and then bake in oven and when done pour gravy over everything ( stuffing and sweetcorn ) I've eaten spruce grouse all through the season even when they were eating spruce needles and I think they taste fine and the wife never complains so maybe it's the way I cook them.

My son and me went out on thursday ,bird hunting.We ended up with 7 Spruce and 1 Ruffed Grouse.Today we cut 4 into small chunks,browned with some bacon in a pan.Added water to level of meat ,simmered added 2 packs of brown gravy mix.And served over rice......GOOD...
    Last edited by Webmaster; 10-03-2007 at 09:41. Reason: language

Ak River Rat......ha! your to funny,yep my dogs go ape when I'm breaking out guns and when I load them up..kinda like teasing them they stay in the garage cause they know I wont forget them,or they turn into three shadows and freaking trip me up all over the place,so now I either load up the night before,or mostly like now I just leave the shotguns and equipment in the truck.

As for the Spruce grousethe rest of the family likes them,but I do cook mine differently and they taste awesome,its just that when the wife gets lazy on cooking them her way ugh! even the boys don't want her cooking grouse anymore after having it cooked my way mmm,mmm.....good.

NO I dont cook mine whole.I breast them out,and I only fry them in alot of butter.I also use three different types of seasoning.Sazon & the three types of Adobo.

Im gonna try and get out again tomorrow for some grouse and ducks hopefully.See ya'll out there.Daniel
    Last edited by Webmaster; 10-03-2007 at 09:39. Reason: Language

Quote Originally Posted by Northernl View Post
    Whats wrong with grouse that have been eating spruce? Does their meat taste different than it should?
    To me it taste like eating a evergreen car air freshener
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahaahahahaahahahaa hahahahahaha! thats how I feel about them.Dude that was way to funny.Daniel

My wife would have me by you know what , if I laid down so dead grouse in the house. Nice birds along with that beautiful gun .
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by danthedewman1 View Post
    My son and me went out on thursday ,bird hunting.We ended up with 7 Spruce and 1 Ruffed Grouse.Today we cut 4 into small chunks,browned with some bacon in a pan.Added water to level of meat ,simmered added 2 packs of brown gravy mix.And served over rice......GOOD...

Close to Anchorage??

Wow. I gotta get out soon....

Jon
    Last edited by Webmaster; 10-03-2007 at 09:42. Reason: language in quote

Thinking of heading out wed.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    You have eaten an evergreen car airfreshener? That explains a lot!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    You have eaten an evergreen car airfreshener? That explains a lot!
    yep and it does not taste like chicken
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Gary your a riot hahaha! My wife is so down to earth and cool.SO long as I get no blood anywhere and I pick up my mess Im good to go.And just so you know Im rotting out that bear skull and she made me take it out of the garage cause it was purdy rank in there Daniel

Default Making grouse taste good (even needle eaters)

1. Clean your grouse as soon as you kill them. I use the "step and pull" method. All you should have left is the breast and the heart.

2. As soon as you get back home, clean your birds of all residual feathers, then soak them in cold saltwater for a day in the fridge (it draws out the blood). Some people like to use vinegar too. After soaking, drain them right before you cook them.

3. Sprinkle your whole bird with a ready-made seasoning like Johnny's, both inside and out (or use a mixture of salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne, and Italian seasoning).

4. Place on top rack of barbeque on low and begin to bake. I throw on a few wood chips for flavor.

5. Mix up some bacon grease (or butter) with a worcestershire sauce and with a basting brush, coat the inside and outside of the baking birds. Turn over, and repeat the process. Do this about every five minutes for about 30-40 minutes, or until when you poke the thickest part of the breast only clear juice bubbles out.

6. Serve with wild rice, or grilled plank potatoes (these could be cooked on an aluminum foil sheet with butter, salt and pepper on the rack right under the birds, so as to catch the drippings). I also like to have a wild low bush cranberry relish alongside the birds.

Bon appetite'

Thumbs up Sayak recipe,

drool, slobber, yum!

Thumbs up 2nd to the Slobber! (Sayak)

Holy Cow! I just ate breakfast and I am ready to devour some spruce hens cooked that way!!

Do you bone out the brests or leave them on the breastbone...Just curious...

Cheers and good Hunting!

Jake

Wow folks actually do use those high dollar shotguns in the field! Still hunting birds with my K-mart special or a sling shot myself. The red label and weatherby are worth more than my truck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast