Thread: Free standing or tunnel tent?

Default Free standing or tunnel tent?

Pros and cons of each? Been looking in to the Hilleberg tunnels and they sure look nice. A little spendy but 5 or 6 lbs for a 2 or 3 person 4 season tent sounds intriguing. Blackfoot seems to like his Hilleberg tunnel. Anyone else?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Bibler

I really like my bibler eldorado. They are just as expensive as the Hillenberg but gosh I was on top of a bare ridge at 6500 ft in that nasty thunderstorm front that came through in August and it didn't even shiver in 50-70 mph winds and snow/crud/sleet/Hail.
    I used the extra guidelines and this tent is killer 4lbs 13 oz for a two guy tent.

The year before much lesser winds killed my three season tent- Ripped the fly and completely twisted the poles to death and retired my pitbull as a hunting partner. She didn't die but whenever I climb over 5000 ft she tries to break for the trail head.

I didn't have any condensation problems and I liked it good enough that I bought a Black Diamond First Light(Beaver Sports has them on super sale) as a back up. 2lbs. Good warm weather version of Itent using silnylon.

Sincerely,

Thomas

I have a katium I purchased at Barney's excellent tent very easy to set up and sturdy in the wind. Very roomy inside and light to carry. I am no expert but I do love this tent and selected this over the other Hilleberg models.

Quote Originally Posted by Tag View Post
    I have a katium I purchased at Barney's excellent tent very easy to set up and sturdy in the wind. Very roomy inside and light to carry. I am no expert but I do love this tent and selected this over the other Hilleberg models.
    So, has it a problem for you that it's not a free standing tent? I am very intrigued with the Hillebergs but not sure about them not being free standing.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I've had the same dilemna as you Snyd, but i'm leaning more and more to the free standing tents made by Hilleberg.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    I've had the same dilemna as you Snyd, but i'm leaning more and more to the free standing tents made by Hilleberg.
    Ya like the Staika or Tarra Spendy though.

I also like the looks and specs of this Big Agnes tent. Mad House 2

Sure would be nice to be able to actually see some of these in person. Not happening here in Fairbanks unless someone knows somethitng I don't.

Last year on a sheep hunt we were racing nightfall down a creek in a steep gorge that was choked with brush, rocks, etc. We finaly were able to find a patch of sand just large enough to sort of pitch the tent. Thankfully it was freestanding. Not sure if we could have pitched a tunnel tent there.

Default Hilleberg

I really looked over the options with the Hillebergs. After considering it, I chose the Kaitum because it has the most room for the weight. I usually hunt with a partner so the extra room is nice. I almost ordered the Jannu, but after considering the minimal vestibule space, I decided on the Kaitum. I really think if you spent a hunt in that tent, you would fall in love with it. No need to leave gear outside, even with two people. We comfortably fit our gear each in our own vestibule, and still have plenty of room to get in and out. Also, the one complaint I had heard about the Hillebergs is that they had condensation problems. We kept the vents open even in high winds and rain, and never got wet or had condensation problems. The nice feature that I will probably use on my spring bear hunts or late fall hunts, is using double poles for extra strenght for snow and wind load. Looking at a set of carbon fiber poles for the second set.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Ya that Kaitum looks like a nice tent. I like the pic of it from your sheep hunt this year. Did you find the fact that it is not free standing to be a detriment?

ThisThia must be the tent you are talking about???
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Default Snyd

At first I looked at the Jannu and others because I was more comfortable witht the free standing tent. I have had North Face free standing tents in the past and there's just something about pitching your tent and being able to move it around intact, makes you feel like it is stronger or something? I think my NF free standing tent may take the wind a little better if the guylines come loose as they did on my Kaitum during our sheep hunt. But, if they are staked down well enough, I believe the tunnel tent will take the wind just as well. My father in law did not secure the tent better when the wind picked up, and I was sleeping out on the mountain with my sheep, so when I got back the lines were not tied down. As soon as I re-staked them, the tent did just fine. The thing that really impressed my is that the material held up and did not rip although when I got back to camp it was flapping loose in the absolute ridiculous gusts of wind. I really believe that my other tents would have shredded. I am impressed with their quality and wouldn't be afraid to buy any of their tents, including their free standing tents. Their claims about superior fabric is not hype in my experience.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Default Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    ThisThia must be the tent you are talking about???
    Yeah, that's the one.

Default Black Diamond...

I got a Black Diamond "Guiding Light" tent for a recent 13 day canoe trip in SW Alaska. It is a freestanding tent and I couldnt imagine using anything else. I camp along Alaska rivers and the gravel requires freestanding tents. I couldnt imagine using a tent that required stakes. Mesh rock bags (15" x 22") worked well for support in high winds on a recent trip. Search on Campmor ... mesh bags, and you will see them. Worked like a charm. The tent is larger than most ultralight tents. Sleeps 4 and weighs like 5 lbs. Awesome tent. Single wall and rock solid design. Very, very, sturdy in the wind. Super lightweight tent. Amazed at how small it packs down. I used Kelty tents on two previous canoe trips up in the Noatak Preserve and thought it was time to upgrade. Glad I did. Sometimes you really do get what you pay for. Take a look at them. It was 100% waterproof (does require seam sealing) but only took about 1/2 hour to do. Incredible tents and takes up less space in the backpack than you could imagine.

I have a Namatj 3GT in Salcha you're welcome to look at Snyd.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    I have a Namatj 3GT in Salcha you're welcome to look at Snyd.
    Thanks for the offer! I may just take you up on it sometime. Like in the spring I'm getting in the downhill ski mode now! Come on snow!!