Thread: Becoming an Outdoors Woman Group??

Default Becoming an Outdoors Woman Group??

I know that a group of Becoming an Outdoors Woman exists as the News Miner posted a full article on the group within this past month.

I want to know if any wives on the board have participated in such events?
    Are they successful?
    Are they enjoyable?
    Would you suggest it to someone?
    And...
    If you didn't like it, what specifically about it was there that you didn't like?

I see that in the Fairbanks area, they did some kind of moose hunt during the month of September, but I didn't catch the whole article.

Can anyone elaborate?
    Thanks in advanced!
    ~COtoAK
    Lurker.

Default becoming an outdoor women

my wife took part in one of their long weekend seminars back in June. she and a coworker seemed to enjoy themselves but they skipped out early to come home cause they heard i was catching kings on the deshka.

Quote Originally Posted by A_K_H_U_N_T_E_R View Post
    my wife took part in one of their long weekend seminars back in June. she and a coworker seemed to enjoy themselves but they skipped out early to come home cause they heard i was catching kings on the deshka.
    Yikes! A weekend seminar in June!? I don't know about you, but I am kind of selfish with my Alaskan summers. Kudos to your wife for at least trying to stay for it! I definitely don't blame her in leaving, though. I would have done the same!!!
    Lurker.

Default Yes!

I attended one in New Mexico and it was great, everything from cleaning game, shooting (defensive, rifle, pistol, beginner, advanced) cooking, tracking, car maintenence?????, I guess anything you could think of. The gathering of like women was inspirational as well. I think whoever is in charge puts the different classes together. Ours was held at the NRA center in Raton. At first I thought it would be too beginner but found it just the opposite. The one in NM was only two days so didn't interfere with hunting and fishing. Good luck!

Wink I can see it now, pink camo

and lace on it's way in and 'what not to wear'. This could lead to some interesting sights in the wild! grin

kingfisherktn

Quote Originally Posted by nmhunter'swife View Post
    I attended one in New Mexico and it was great, everything from cleaning game, shooting (defensive, rifle, pistol, beginner, advanced) cooking, tracking, car maintenence?????, I guess anything you could think of. The gathering of like women was inspirational as well. I think whoever is in charge puts the different classes together. Ours was held at the NRA center in Raton. At first I thought it would be too beginner but found it just the opposite. The one in NM was only two days so didn't interfere with hunting and fishing. Good luck!
    This is great. Had I had known that there was a group like this when I lived in Colorado, I would have done something about it.. instead I was trying to summit all the 55 (with 3 unrated) 14,000ft mountains.

Thanks for letting me know if your experience. I really appreciate you taking the time to post!
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    and lace on it's way in and 'what not to wear'. This could lead to some interesting sights in the wild! grin

kingfisherktn
    Yes yes... of course you got me again. I don't blush that often, but on this one I did...
    Blah.
    Well, the husband knows... and that's all that could be said about that.
    Lurker.

Default Becoming an Outdoors Woman info

Give a call to Cathie Harms at Fish and Game in Fairbanks. She can give you more information on such groups.

I was not sure if you had seen the official site for Ak but here it is. i am going to take their summer course next year.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Regio...OW/BOWhome.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by sherpa View Post
    Give a call to Cathie Harms at Fish and Game in Fairbanks. She can give you more information on such groups.
    I have seen her name before. I'll give her a telephone call. Thanks for giving me a contact person!
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by akcowgirl View Post
    I was not sure if you had seen the official site for Ak but here it is. i am going to take their summer course next year.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Regio...OW/BOWhome.cfm
    This is a more indepth link than what I had previously found!
    Thanks for posting it!
    Lurker.