Thread: Black Bear spot and stalk Hunt's

Default Black Bear spot and stalk Hunt's

Looking for a good place where I can rent a boat or possibly a guided hunt for spot and stalk black bear hunt's in the spring. It is probably not that important where it is out of but I think the best time of the year is in the spring (May). I guess you stalk them on the tidal flats or green areas in the spring when the bears come out of there dens. Thanks in advance.

Default Kenai

I did this hunt in May and had a great experience. We chose to use a transporter for a little over $2,000 each for 5 days of hunting and fishing halibut. Great boat, great hunting, ok fishing, secluded area and we all got bears even after passing up lots of them.

If you are interested in a transported hunt I can refer you to our transporter. He would stop the boat whenever we spotted something then take us to shore on the skiff to do a beach assault.

He was really careful not to spot or judge bears for us (wouldn't let us in the wheelhouse with our binocs) and we had to care for the meat, but there are so many bears it wasn't hard to spot them on our own.

Default Rent a Boat

Since not every body has $2000, and you said rent, there is a place in Whittier that rents boats, they are a sponcer on this form in Fishing I think. A couple of raft type places also, where you could add your own motor, or maybe they have.
    Sure the full service cartering and pampering would be nice but you are still at the will of some one else. But they would know the area & water, but if you didn't find a bear out of Whittier I'd go see an Eye Doctor soon.

What was included in the hunt? Food. I found a place out of Homer that puts you on a 60' foot boat for $2400 for 5 days or $2600 for 6 days and it included food. I would be interested in you transporter as well. Here is the link! www.homerocean.com/bear_hunting.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Toucan View Post
    I did this hunt in May and had a great experience. We chose to use a transporter for a little over $2,000 each for 5 days of hunting and fishing halibut. Great boat, great hunting, ok fishing, secluded area and we all got bears even after passing up lots of them.

If you are interested in a transported hunt I can refer you to our transporter. He would stop the boat whenever we spotted something then take us to shore on the skiff to do a beach assault.

He was really careful not to spot or judge bears for us (wouldn't let us in the wheelhouse with our binocs) and we had to care for the meat, but there are so many bears it wasn't hard to spot them on our own.

Default Whittier Boat Rentals

There's a place in Whittier (possibly the same one mentioned above) that rents boats by the day or week. Call 1-866-ON-R-BOAT. Here's a link to their website: http://www.alaska-boat-rentals.com/

Default Reference

Yes it included a fully stocked galley with a fridge for our use anytime we wanted. The skipper cooked each evening meal but we made our own bfast and lunch. He has a washer & dryer on board so we didn't need lots of extra clothes. We brought our guns, a $20 sleeping bag that we left behind, our license/tags and personal stuff. Everything else was provided.

When we weren't hunting we were fishing or watching videos or relaxing on board. Very laid back. Also, there are 2 seperate showers off the bedrooms. Just a very comfortable hunt. I gained 5 lbs during the 5 days on board.

As for being at the will of someone else, we called all the shots. He stopped the boat anytime we wanted. The deck hand took us to shore on the skiff whenever we wanted. But it was nice to have the transporters knowledge of the area and his expertise at the helm.

Here is the url. http://premiersportfishing.com/bear-hunting.htm Talk to Travis. I highly recommend him.

I'm not sure if the boat thing is an objective for hunting black bears, or just the way you have heard of it being done but POW island can be done spot and stalk really easily without a guide. You can rent a vehicle in Ketchikan and take it over on the ferry or rent a vehicle from one of the two places on the island that rent rigs. From there you can hunt the clearcuts. Bears walk out onto the roads of the clearcuts to eat the first grass of the year in the afternoons and evenings. From there you can easily stalk up on a good number of bears. This past spring we camped across the valley from a clearcut and glassed bears on the road every day. Started to name two of them even. PM me and I can give you some ideas of places on the island to go. If you have google earth I can even send you KMZ files of the exact clearcuts. Guaranteed that you will see bears.