Thread: Fenton Fly

Default Fenton Fly

Hi All, I live in Nevada and used to visit my dad in Soldotna (He lived in Alaska for 50 years) during summers before he died, and we'd fish for salmon on the Kenai and halibut out of Homer. My step mom used to tie this fly called a fenton fly (I think) and we'd use it to fly fish red salmon. I think this fly was also available in sporting goods stores in Soldotna for sale. Can anyone tell me about this fly and how to tie it? Also I would love to see some photos of this creation. I know Yakima bait company lists a Fenton fly, but they have no photos. Thanks for your help.

Keith

Isn't a Fenton fly pretty much an egg with a touch of yarn? I haven't seen one or even thought about them in years. If it is what I am thinking about I can probably tie up one and shoot some photos for you with tying instructions. Give me a discription of what you remember from fishing with your dad.
    Take Care

A fenton fly to me is a single hook with two corkies dangling towards the bend in the hook and yard attached to the upper shank of the hook. I used to LOVE this fly for silvers but I cannot find a fenton fly large enough for silvers anymore.

Here's the best picture I could find

http://cgi.ebay.com/18-FENTON-FLY-FL...QQcmdZViewItem

As I recall the fly was a simple affair with colored yarn and two corkies on mono line tied in to trail the yarn. Looked like a winged insect with a double tail. I think the worden lures that u found on e-bay are probably the original Fentons. I know that I caught a ton of fish on my step mom's home tied versions. Thanks for your help. Would really like to see a close up of this fly.

Keith

looks like yarn in an egg loop with a corkie between each hook to me.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

last i saw, the anchor angler in anchor point had them on the rack for sale.... but yea, it's just 2 small corkies dangling off a hook w/ mono or whatever and some yarn.... it's usually tied in chartreause and red.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.