Thread: Unit 13 near Chickaloon

Default Unit 13 near Chickaloon

Headed towards Chickaloon for the weekend. I was hoping to find some grouse and or ptarmigan. Does anyone know if this is a good area? I'm bringing my bow, do i need a side arm for bears? New to that area, thats why i'm going. Just wondering if i need to worry about Bears in that area. Saying that, i know lot's of you are saying " duh, it's Alaska, there are bears everywhere". But i know that some area's are way worse than others. Thanks for your help guys/gals.
    All your success stories i have been reading has me drooling. I have been busy the last 3 weekends with hockey tryouts for the B&G club team I coach, so now I get to go out with that being over.
    Hope to have some good pictures and stories for you guys on monday.

I've been told that's a great area, not only for spruce grouse, but also for ruffed grouse.

Good luck!

thanks Mark

Eagle River (Home!)

Are you going to ATV in once you are there, I've heard there is a decent trail system there, my father talks about driving a Jeep North of there in the 60s and having a camp set up there. A lot different back then, once I took him back there and he did not recall much out that way.

I will have an ATV. Hopefully the weather is not to bad, and the birds are everyewhere. Any one else going up that way?

Weather was great and i found a few birds. Not to many around and trails are sloppy. Camera was dead so no pictures. I managed to get 6 birds with my bow.