Thread: Ruger Mark II skeleton stock

Default Ruger Mark II skeleton stock

Does anyone have a good suggestion for a Ruger Mark II 300 Mag stock? It is one of those skeleton style stocks. Thanks a lot.

I've got one for the 338. Jim

My original post was pretty vague after reading it. I want to get a heavier one or one that would absorb some recoil better than the skeleton stock. Thanks

Replace it?

I bought a Ruger with one of those boat-paddle, dished-out, ugly, monster stocks. "Oh well, it works." I thought.

But when I took it to the range, it shot fantastic!

Since I won't be using this rifle for hunting in Alaska I ordered an exhibition grade stock from Richards Microfit. I love it now, both how it shoots and how it looks.

My Alaska hunting guns have synthetic stocks. If you want them even heavier, like my Encore, you can simply add filler.

http://rifle-stocks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by doug carlo View Post
    Does anyone have a good suggestion for a Ruger Mark II 300 Mag stock? It is one of those skeleton style stocks. Thanks a lot.
    Yeah, I've got a suggestion for that stock! Keep it in your boat for a paddle just in case your motor gives out. It would work for beating king salmon over the head too. That stock has a very narrow "pad" that really digs into your shoulder. Check out H-S Precision. I think the price is a little less than $300.
    http://www.hsprecision.com/pss20.htm

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

doug:
    If it were me, I'd get a Hogue stock for it. They make one for a Mk II, but not the older Ruger action with the tang safety.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I have a Ruger MK II, stainless, in .338WM. I decided to replace its stock with a Hogue Rubber-Overmolded. The other Hogue stock costs around $200.00, twice as much as the one I have on my rifle, but while mine is pillar bedded, the other has a full aluminum bed.

Now, don't expect a pretty stock when you buy a Hogue. These stocks are just functional, and work very well if what you want of a rifle is a hunting or work tool. They do have a plush recoil pad that absorbs recoil well, something that is lacking on the Ruger boat paddle stock, and the rubber outer layer does not make noise when hit by branches and such.

Thanks for the suggestions. Any of these stocks should take out some of the recoil I would think. Doug

Quote Originally Posted by doug carlo View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. Any of these stocks should take out some of the recoil I would think. Doug
    Yes, it should work fine. Also, you can wear a Past "Magnum" recoil pad for shooting long sessions at the range. This recoil pad is just a sort of shoulder protector made of foam, and is held over your shoulder with a couple of straps. They are sold for right and left-hand shooters.

Default Add a Pad

I've got a Ruger MK II 338 win mag with a skeleton stock and I just put a bigger, softer recoil pad on. I think I paid $30 for a "limb-saver" (don't qoute me though) and it's very manageable for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bustedknee View Post
    Replace it?

I bought a Ruger with one of those boat-paddle, dished-out, ugly, monster stocks. "Oh well, it works." I thought.

But when I took it to the range, it shot fantastic!

Since I won't be using this rifle for hunting in Alaska I ordered an exhibition grade stock from Richards Microfit. I love it now, both how it shoots and how it looks.

My Alaska hunting guns have synthetic stocks. If you want them even heavier, like my Encore, you can simply add filler.

http://rifle-stocks.com/
    Hey there bustedknee, I just checked out that link and the prices are a lot lower than what I anticipated. How much work is involved with finishing the stock? I'm getting interested one of the laminated wood ones.

MyTime

I have a tan web BELL and CARLSON on my Ruger M77 300 win mag Stainless. Did a little bedding and with a new trigger this stock gun now shoots .375 inch 3 shot groups with handloads. Only thing that has ever been bad was the front sling swivel stud broke out of the stock, I was shooting it off a Carldwell Lead sled, I had my butler creek bipod attatched and hanging free and clear of the rest, I am guessing that over the 8yrs of having the Bipod on it under tension that it stressed the area and while shooting it on the lead sled which moves very little with recoil that stored energy finally broke it loose. I contacted Bell and Carlson they said to send it in and they would either fix it or replace it for free, I let them know that if they couldnt fix it I would rather have it back minus the sling stud, because of the bedding work I had done to it. I sent it in the had it for less than a month I got it back fixed, the repair was not noticible and have had no other issues with it.
    Overall very happy with it, great product and AMAZING customer service/warranty. all for around 250.00

HUNT HARD HUNT SAFE
    WILL

If anyone wants to sell the boat paddle stock from a .338 win mag M77/MkII please send me a PM.

Check Ebay I bought on from some guy in Canada for 50.00 and like a Sadistic fool I put my 375 Ruger MAG into it for spring Brown Bear,
    RLTW
    HUNT HARD HUNT SAFE
    WILL

Quote Originally Posted by MyTime View Post
    Hey there bustedknee, I just checked out that link and the prices are a lot lower than what I anticipated. How much work is involved with finishing the stock? I'm getting interested one of the laminated wood ones.

MyTime
    Different computer and username, but most just final finish. I did bed mine. If I had it to do over I would pillar bed as well.

You can final sand then oil it or stain it then varnish.

One of my buddy's liked mine so much he bought a new Savage then ordered a richards stock and it will not your eyes out. It looks like some of the old walnut Winchester stocks.

screwedbygoogle
    original username modified by google