Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tell your partner Horror story

Angry tell your partner Horror story

I've been reading the foum stories like ERIK IN AK who had a new hunting partner and the two of them worked great together and then SAPPER 2-6 who just had a partner bail on him at the last minute. Then there was WINKHINK's story of his caribou hunt that 2 buddies quit and abandoned him in the middle of a hunt. ( would to have beat someone) I just had a very successful hunt that was difficult and my wife was a fantastic hunting partner even though she has swore off bush planes. Anyway, I've read some other interesting stories of different BS that some hunting partners have pulled and I thought that it would be interesting to run a thread and share a story of things that have cost you a hunting partner or things that people have done on a trip that has caused you to say that you would never hunt with that individual again! Heck maybe some of the idiots might learn where they screwed up and understand why their old partner is always busy and can't go anymore.

I welcomed a new arrival to our remote neighborhood by taking him into a secret "locals only" hunting area. Swore him to secrecy and all the usual stuff. THE VERY NEXT DAY I went back in with another long time local, and ran into the newcomer showing the ropes to five of his buddies from town.

Ten years later this guy still doesn't have many friends in the neighborhood. Sure seems lonely.

Partner shooting a caribou and not knowing how to clean it.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Had a guy shoot a moose and didn't know how to clean it. He had one dull knife and no game bags. Never again.

Better yet. One the haul rd. With two of my buddies... Ran into this guy who was hunting solo.. My friend felt bad for him after awhile of him following us. Make a story short I had a nice caribou starting to cross the road. I was hiding on the other side of the road behind a dirt mound. As the caribou reached the middle of the road this idiot shot at the caribou. the caribou took off and I never got a shot off. But that wasn't what pegged my fun meter. It was the fact he shot in my direction.
    I came back to the road and asked him what the hell is he doing. And he said if I can't shoot a caribou no one will... I asked him if he knew it was illegal to shoot form the road? He said he did not care. OK.. Then I thought to myself. Then I asked him if his shoes are on tight. He said yes. I said good get walking you truck is that way about 4-5 miles... then I called the troopers.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I've made plans for weeks just to take some precious time off to put meat in the freezer and had a partner that over the same time frame bought a new rifle,new scope,lots of other hunting equipment etc....(long story) anyhow on the day we are to leave for the slope I walk over to the house to get him loaded up and his wife is on the patio and he's saying come on baby! and she points down to her 'Adam & Eve' and says if you want any of this anymore,you wont go hunting.
    Talk about freaking pissed.The whole idea was not to go up there alone and now I got screwed.Anyhow after I came back I asked what he do all weekend and he said we sat on the couch and played video games....oh! Ive got more stories like this on this fella.
    SO Im still looking for a reliable partner.Daniel

Syracuse, New York, Wasilla, Alaska, United States

Default Partner this year...

I had moose hunt planned this year and my original partner couldn't make it. So, I decided to start looking for another partner instead of canceling the hunt. (first big mistake). I invited a guy I have known for a long time and never felt real good about it. He is a good hunter but one of those guys that's all out for himself. He let me plan the whole hunt and do all the work. Five days into the hunt we were not seeing anything so he started complaining and made me call the pilot for a move the next morning. That evening I decided we should hunt and he chose to go to a place I showed him because he was too scared to hunt alone. I wanted to hunt there but didn't want to hunt with him so I went to another spot. An hour later I heard him shoot so I worked my way towards him. Three hours later, one fall into a floating bog up to my neck, and a number of prayers I vacated the area because I was unable to find him. When I finally found my way back to the lake where we had a canoe parked at 11:30pm (1.2 miles from camp) there he was. I asked where the hell he had been and he told me he went back to camp immediately after shooting the bull to get my frame, knives, and tarp so I could start butchering and packing his moose. I expect to help out a partner and I'm usually happy for them, but standing there soaking wet in the pouring rain at 11:30 pm and wondering whether I should kill him or not I was in no mood to walk the more than 1 mile back up hill to the bull to start butchering it in the dark. I explained to him that I would be going back to camp and getting dry and that I would help him with the moose in the morning. Once at the kill site I realized I was within 150 yards of the bull in the dark the night before and that I could have easily avoided all the drama of the night before if he had stayed with the bull instead of taking off like a jack rabbit back to camp with my canoe and leaving me up there until after dark. Once the butchering started it was like everything else on the trip. Me, all quarters, neck, cape and horns removed. Him, some rib meat and flank meat. Why didn't I just stop working on the bull and make him do more? Because it was pouring rain all day and I wanted to get out of there!!! I packed 1/2 the moose and the horns. He packed 1/2 and the wet heavy cape. This took considerable persuasion and finally a temper flare from me after he tried to demand I pack both front shoulders in one load and then take the cape cause it was heavier then the horns and I'm bigger then him. He chose to take the moose to another lake because it was closer than our lake and it was questionable whether the pilot could get in and out with an otter. Ends up the pilot felt more comfortable getting a cub in there so naturally there were extra charges. After his moose was all hung up he was done. I was finishing this hunt alone. He didn't want to get up and do what it took to get me a bull and I didn't want him with me. So I hunted alone. The pilot flew over early one day to check on us and he waived the pilot into the lake. He wanted to leave early so I conceded as I was not having a good time and didn't look forward to butchering and packing another bull alone. Back at base the pilot asked us to square up on the cub time so I told him to go in the office and take care of it. He protested in front of a bunch of other guys and I told him very clearly that I was not paying to fly out his $%^&*#@ BULL!!! The other guys standing around laughed at him and he stomped into the office. Naturally I unloaded all the gear and loaded the truck while he threw a temper tantrum about paying for the meat pick-up. When I got home I realized he had used 50 minutes on my space phone talking to his girl fiend for which I still have not gotten reimbursed. I tell you watch who you hunt with or things can go real sour. Planning another trip for next year with a different partner!! Jesse

Wow. I don't know what to say in response to these stories. To be honest, I've never really had a bad partner. There was one guy in a party of three once that was somewhat of a jerk and who was completely lazy, forcing me as the 18 year old to pull the sled with both of our caribou out 4 miles because he was hacking and coughing from his years of smoking. But I didn't let that bother me too much, as I was asked along last minute as a tag-along. Other than that, my hunting partners have been great. There have been a few big guys that can't/won't carry much weight, but otherwise I've been lucky. I don't know where you guys manage to find these horror stories!

People suck, that's why I hunt by myself.

Default My fault

I left a guy hanging this fall for a sheep hunt. My fault totally as I "thought" I would have the time to do it with a wedding planned on Aug. 18 and another issue that had to be dealt with. I basically ruined his season and I take full responsibility for that. That is not like me at all, but didn't feel that I could give it a good enough effort for the short amount of time that I actually had. Had 8 days planned originally and ended up with 5 and heading into new country not knowing what to expect, a river that was a question mark, I just felt that it was something that wasn't fair to him at all to even attempt. For this I am sorry as I am an incredibly reliable person that gives 110%. This was one time where I let him and myself down.

Moral of the story: Don't commit to something if you have any types of important events to plan around or before. Things always come up and things take longer than expected, which seems to result in some type of disappointment to the people involved on both sides of the equation.

Mark

Regarding those who don't know how to clean an animal (or other tasks), some folks weren't lucky enough to learn these things early in life and need to be taught.

I don't mind doing the work. Hopefully, they'll learn.

I hunt (or do other things in the woods) alone often, and enjoy it, but not because "people suck". I do it for the same reason Christ went into the wilderness for 40 days and nights.........to be with God and His creation.

I've even been shot in the head by a hunting partner. It was an accident, and he was more horrified than the rest of us. Fortunately, I have a hard head, I heal well, and have good health insurance. No hard feelings.

"Stuff" happens......

Thumbs down

I was invited years ago to go on a moose hunt with some guys I worked with. One guy was a little "questionable", but nothing I figured that I couldn't deal with. With me being a sucker for a good moose hunt, I figured that I can tolerate it no matter what. The other fellas would make camp life a little better anyways, and they did.
    Well we get out there and the "questionable" guy shoots the first bull, a gorgeous 58" w/ big brows and palms. Yah, he's talking-up the BIG smack and rubbing it in pretty good to all of us like he's some ninja-hunter or whatever. Nobody says much back to him, just roll our eyes and let him run with it. I shoot a "legal" 40" bull the next day and of course I'm ribbed HARD for it from ol' chatty cathy. Same as lawdog, his moose was done and I busted my ***** helping him and now his "knee hurts" and he CAN'T do anything else but run his piehole in camp.
    On day 4, another guy shoots a 63" that was big, but not near as pretty or symmetrical as the 58". Anyways, the "questionable" guy gets so mad (I'm talking super-PISSED!) that his 58" bull wasn't the biggest anymore, that he up and left IN THE MIDDLE OFTHE NIGHT. (Unbeknownst to us, he had conveniantly packed most of his stuff while we were out getting the last load of meat from the big bull). Here's the kicker, we used this guys truck and trailer and one other guys truck and trailer for the 8 hour drive. Well guess what, it's gone and there are 3 of us with 2 atv's, an Argo, 3 meat trailers, gear and 2 moose to fit into one pickup and a small trailer. Ain't happenin'....
    So, mucho extra $$ had to be uneccessarily dealt out due to 2 extra 8 hour trips because of this guy bailing on us. Needless to say, I've never even considered going hunting with him again. I had some "unfavorable" words with him when I saw him again in town too. My displeasure was clearly spelled out to him. What kills me is that he acted like it was no big deal. I couldn't believe it... What a spoiled punk for a 40 year old... Jeesh!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    .....Well we get out there and the "questionable" guy shoots the first bull, a gorgeous 58" w/ big brows and palms. Yah, he's talking-up the BIG smack and rubbing it in pretty good to all of us like he's some ninja-hunter or whatever. ......

......On day 4, another guy shoots a 63" that was big, but not near as pretty or symmetrical as the 58". Anyways, the "questionable" guy gets so mad (I'm talking super-PISSED!) that his 58" bull wasn't the biggest anymore, that he up and left IN THE MIDDLE OFTHE NIGHT. (Unbeknownst to us, he had conveniantly packed most of his stuff while we were out getting the last load of meat from the big bull). Here's the kicker, we used this guys truck and trailer and one other guys truck and trailer for the 8 hour drive. Well guess what, it's gone and there are 3 of us with 2 atv's, an Argo, 3 meat trailers, gear and 2 moose to fit into one pickup and a small trailer.......
    That guy isn't a bad hunting partner.

He's a bad person. I don't ever want the displeasure of even meeting that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    That guy isn't a bad hunting partner.

He's a bad person. I don't ever want the displeasure of ever meeting that guy.

I agree... He's a bad seed alright. There are other stories that I've heard from other "good people" who have hunted with this guy and it never changes. He just happens to have knowledge/access to great areas, some money and toys. It's ALL about him, just ask him... It's sad really...

Default Wow

I had a feeling that we might get some interesting stories and they are certainly starting. I'm one of the newer members but I think that as this continues we should take a poll, vote, give a prize to the best horror story. I think that LAWDOG is starting to lead the pack. I do LOVE the way ALASKA GRAY dealt with that *****, i hope the state troopers gave that boy what he had comming. It makes you wonder where the heck these people come from. I would swear that those kind of people couldn't exist. I took to long to type, sorry LAWDOG, I think that SWAMPDONKEY just took the lead.
    Last edited by tboehm; 09-28-2007 at 11:29. Reason: took to long to typw

Reading these experiences about your hunting partners has reinforced my opinion that I need to just keep hunting with my wife, kids, and the dog. Over the years I have hunted with partners here and there but never had one that I went with all the time. I must have been lucky in my choice of partners because all our hunts went well or it was mother natures fault that they didn't.

Default Man, what do you say to that????

WOW - I cannot believe these stories! I can't even find words to sympathize with you guys. Iíve had many hunting and fishing partners in the past, especially during my college days and have never even come close to these cases!

All I can say is that I hope I find a partner who is willing to work as hard as I and patient enough to educate me about hunting in Alaska. Yes, I have done my homework, but all the studying in the world is not the real thing.

Better luck to you guys in the future!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Reading these experiences about your hunting partners has reinforced my opinion that I need to just keep hunting with my wife, kids, and the dog.......
    My best hunting partners have always been family; wife, brother, brother-in-laws, Dad (who didn't even hunt).

My ďpartnerĒ I had known for 26 years (our families were friends) but hunted with very little since heís ethically challenged to say the least. I parted ways with him last year after he took someone into my hunting spot.

I hadnít talked to him from Sept. Ď06 to July Ď07, when he finally called me wanting me to go with him to check his bait station on the Deshka. (I donít even think its legal to bait in July, I donít know as I havenít done it, and I doubt heís taken the required baiting class.) He called trying to smooth me over and tell he didn't hunt my spot this year, but I told him I don't care and gave him another piece of my mind. I honestly think he figured that since we were friends he could do what he wanted and I'd get over it, and I haven't and won't.

Tim

Angry

I almost forgot...Mr. Niceguy stood me up on a Kenai Mountains Caribou hunt in '05 too. I put in for the tag knowing (and confirming) he'd go with me as he's a slope worker. Anyway, he fills his sheep tag with another buddy and then calls me about 10 before the our hunt to tell me he's not going since he shot a sheep and that if he shot a brown or black bear in Resurrection Pass he couldn't afford to have a rug made or get a mount done! I was floored and explained to him that I had given up my annual moose hunt to take time off in early Oct. to fill this tag with him. He told me he'd re-think it and didn't call me for two months. Did I mention that our families were friends and that I'd known him since 1980!!!

Tim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast