Thread: 6x6 & mud tire problem

Default 6x6 & mud tire problem

Seeing the picture of the stretched and lifted 6 wheeler reminds me of an issue I've seen this year. The guys with a full set of good mudders are stretching the chains out. Usually all the 6 wheeler needs is a better set of mud tires up front IMO. But to each their own. AKmud how are your chains doing? Who else here has mudders all the way around? And have you had any excessive chain stretch? My theory is the better gripping tires create way too much stress and somethings gotta give. Instead of the stock tires being able to slip or skid when turning the stress is transmitted to the chain. Any thoughts?

I have just over 1100 (about 500 with the big tires) miles on my machine and have only had to take one link out of the front chain (recently). The chain looks good overall, but another member....KK alaska I believe....said chain stretch is a sign of an upcoming problem. So, I will probably be changing it this winter just as a precaution.

I think driving style has a lot to do with how these things wear too. I tend to take it pretty easy in the rough/muddy stuff and it seems to work for me.

As for the bigger tires and stress.... I would venture to say that a track kit would place much more stress on the drive linkage than aggressive tires do. I think most of the stretch issues boil down to operator treatment and maintenance of the bike. If you are careful about keeping chain tension correct, the chain will last much longer.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    I think most of the stretch issues boil down to operator treatment and maintenance of the bike. If you are careful about keeping chain tension correct, the chain will last much longer.
    I would agree, but mud, could you ban WG for me, that web site he showed me is causing, um, well, how should I say this. POCKETBOOK ANGCIETY (sp)!!!!!!!!! Hold me back Mud, don't let me do it!

Thanks for the update AKmud. Looking back at the guys having the problem I will have to say they don't look to be the nimble types. KK also said he had the older style "gold" chain and I have also seen those stretch out for no apparent reason.

I stumbled on a half link for the chains also. It sucks that they made these machines where half the chain adjustment was gone on a new chain. Might be a good thing to do when installing a new chain in the future rather than taking a link out later on.

I agree with AKDSLDOG. That WG guy is a trouble maker That website (drool) is messing up my keyboard (drool, drool)!!

Hey guys, just a thought - It may not even be applicable here, but the chain you are referring to - when you replace it, do you also replace the sprockets? I know with motorcycles that utilize chain final drive it is considered taboo to install a new chain without also replacing the sprockets. This is due to the wear principles of the metals. The chain and the sprockets wear together, producing a wear pattern in the sprockets that will cause a new chain to wear much faster without the benefit of new, stronger sprockets to match.

Hmmm....drool inducing website? Do share!.........Edit: found it. Dang it, now my keyboard is messed up too!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Many people may not know to replace the sprockets with a new chain. I do know the rule, but am guilty of not following it. This is why I mention the half link. Seems a shame to give up half the life of a new chain because they couldn't build the swingarm the right length. The sprockets can get spendy too. $70 chain and $94 for the two front chain sprockets. Not to mention a little time consuming to change the middle sprocket unless you have a shop do it for who knows how much. I know, I'm making excuses, but that's the reality of it. The biggest thing is to keep that chain lubed and it will maximize the lifespan and minimize wear on both chain and sprockets.

Default 11 tooth

My mechanic recommeded that change my main drive sprooket to an 11 tooth from a 12 tooth and I've been happy ever since. I rarely need low range. 6 wheelers are high maint. If you want the 6 wheeler performance that is the price you pay.