Thread: Accuracy of a 22

Default Accuracy of a 22

I have always shot my 22 with open sites, but this season I put on a Bushnell scope for hitting grouse in the head.

When I sited the scope in, I could never get the pattern quite as perfect as I would have liked.

How tight of pattern at a particular distance is reasonable?

I hope you mean group but maybe it looks more like a shotgun pattern. A good rifle with good ammo will usually shoot into one inch at 50 yards from a rest. Mostly the problem with a 22 is the ammo. I have found that generally the forty grain not the 32 or 36 hot shot stuff, will give the best accuracy.

I have CZ's that are 1/2" at fifty for five shots and with some ammo even better.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default followup

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I hope you mean group but maybe it looks more like a shotgun pattern.
    Yes, grouping is what I meant. Thanks.

A good rifle with good ammo will usually shoot into one inch at 50 yards from a rest.

I have CZ's that are 1/2" at fifty for five shots and with some ammo even better.
    That is excellent. I dont do a lot of shooting so I dont have a good rest. That might be part of my problem.

I have never really paid attention to what ammo I use. I generally use whats on sale. CZ's? I am sure this is something quite common, what are these and where can I get them?

My best has been about 3/4" at about 20 yards.

Followup question for anyone: how much does a bullet change course with 50 yard shot? If something is sighted in for 50 yards, should it be just as accurate at 10 or 15 yards?

Ceska Zbrojovka rifles made in the Czech Republic. Bolt action 22 caliber model CZ 452 ZKM. They also make others, such as the CZ 511 ZKM Semi-auto 22 and centerfire rifles also.

They have the best barrels and just shoot the best of any 22 caliber rifle. There are exceptions but they are usually very expensive. A good CZ 22 bolt gun is about $200 to $400 depending on model.

A good rest can make a big difference but the cheapest ammo is rarely ever the best. Your 3/4" group at 20 yards would translate to about a 2" group at 50 yards.

A 22 rifle sighted in at fifty yards will be even more accurate (smaller group size) at shorter ranges. The trajectory cannot be predicted until I know how high the scope is as mounted on the rifle and the actual velocity but there won't be but about 1" different in point of impact (POI) between 25 yards and fifty yards with high velocity ammo.

What rifle are you shooting? I've shot 1" groups and less at fifty with the CCI Velocitor 40 grain copper plated ammo and some Federal blue label HV 40 grain stuff. There are lots of different 22 ammo made by each of a half dozen makers. You'll have to try some of each with a good rest. For the best groups you'll probably have to use the target or match grade ammo.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I hope you mean group but maybe it looks more like a shotgun pattern. A good rifle with good ammo will usually shoot into one inch at 50 yards from a rest. Mostly the problem with a 22 is the ammo. I have found that generally the forty grain not the 32 or 36 hot shot stuff, will give the best accuracy.

If the factory makes the same size error in loading the powder, in grains, then that error is a smaller percentage of the larger loads ...do you think that's why a 40-grain load is more accurate than a 32 or 36? Or something else? Have you observed this with all 22s, or just a certain brand/barrel length, or just your gun? Just curious. My 100% stock Marlin 60 shoots nearly everything inside of an inch at about 100 feet (that's feet, not yards) and suspect that it's better than that, but maybe I'm not better than that.

And one thing that I've noticed with the Marlin 60, which has those 16-grooves in its micro-groove barrel, is that the waxy feeling lead bullets that you can buy (certain brands) screw up the accuracy in a hurry and you have to clean the barrel with solvent and a brush every 50 rounds or so to get the accuracy back. Shooting only the copper plated solids resolves this problem. I've always wondered if those micro-grooves are sensitive to fouling. Seems like it.

Thanks,
    Brian

I have a Marlin model 39 with a Leupold 2X7 scope. From a rest at 50 yards will shoot into a group the size of a quarter all day long with WINCHESTER Super X ammo. I once, just for the heck of it, put five boxes into the group. I've never cleaned the barrel using this brand of ammo.

I have a Remington 40 X that does much better using Laupa. This with a 36 power Leupold and Jewel trigger. If I do my part will go into .250 to .300 for five shots @ 50 yards. Once in a while it will surprise me and go under .200 @ 50 yards.

Now the Remington gets a lot of barrel maintenance, not because the ammo is a fowler, but it just shoots a tighter group with a clean barrel.

I'm a sucker for a good .22 rf, always have been, good ammo is what is needed if you expect to get good performance from your rimfires.

I've seen more than a few Ruger 1022 that worked over will shoot .250 all day long @ 50 yards using good ammo.

I just sight a .22 rifle I have to a distance of 25 yards or so, which is plenty far for grouse. However, I don't use a scope, but a red dot sight. I got the sight when on sale in Fairbanks, and paid $39.00 for it. When not on sale it costs twice as much locally.

What I like about a red dot sight (or green dot sight) is that the dot is very clear as I center it on the grouse's head. Sometimes I center the dot at the base of the neck, and that works well too.