Thread: naked island

Default naked island

Looking for info on naked island regarding deer hunting. If you have experience that would be helpful. I'm planning on heading out there Oct. 26
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Charterboat Operator

Default naked

worst thing about naked is all those briary little bushes you have to go thru to get up and into the great clearings. they hurt like h#$$ when you dont have any clothes on!!

anyone ever hunted Perry Island?

So I take it you had to go high for the deer? When did you hunt them?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

gary ,i used to hunt that regularly have not in 5-6 yrs i hear it is getting alot of pressure. transporters dropping off people and private boat traffic.
    good luck Pat
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Over hunted

Over hunted since the Whittier tunnel. Deer are going to be up high and work down as the snow pushes them down.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Done Perry

North Perry I think is more open by every thing was on the South End? Maybe thats why to open. Some of the best Blue Berry, but Oct 26 may be to late. I don't think I'll find any the first week of Oct, but I'm taking Bisquick and Mrs Buttersworth just in case.

been there a couple of times and have only seen 3-4 doe's and you will not gain much altitude on this island. it might be 600ft above sea level but don't quote me on that.
    why not press on to montegue island? it's not much farther, and much better hunting.

On reason not Montague is the weather. I just heard that Naked has deer all though not big they have some.. Not looking to limit out here. If I can get i in the freeze life will be good.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Naked

There are decent amounts of deer on Naked, but you need to be proficient at hunting in brush and timber as there are few opennings.
    Peak and Story Islands also have a few. Story has a few nice meadows if you anchor near the old fox farm on the south side of the island and head up.

Default Almost all of them have deer

I finally broke down and asked the question to fish and game on which islands have deer on them. I looked all over the internet and found nothing except for Monty and Hitchenbrook. Fish and game told me that almost every island in unit 6d has deer on it. Namely, Naked, Storey, Hawkins, Green, Perry, and even a deer coming off the Dutch Group. Hard to believe the Dutch Group, but thats what I heard. Word from ADFG is that the deer flourish on the big islands. They will be on the little islands, but not as plentiful.

Kammer
    22' Seasport

Default little islands

They use the little islands to island hop or just to get away from predators. When you're swimming from island to island, you might be thankful for a rest stop. There's a little island in the mouth of Esther Bay that can't be over an acre. One summer there was a doe and her fawn on it for a couple weeks. I think she was just protecting her fawn from bears.

Spring bear hunting we spotted tons of deer sign on the main land.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I've seen sign on big Culross Island also. Tons of droppings and tracks. Also I recall seeing tracks on the mainland near Mink Island. Who knows where they will turn up next.

Kammer
    22' Seasport

I know where they are on the mainland... Doesn't take much imagination to figure out where they travel, imagination or knowing people who have lived in the area for 20 years...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Well I let you know if they are on naked here soon.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK