Thread: Recovered TSX

Default Recovered TSX

I managed to recover a TSX bullet from the brown bear I shot last Saturday. I shot the bear twice with my .375 H&H. My bear load was a 270gr TSX bullet over a stiff charge of RL-15.

The first shot was a pass-through on both shoulders, which put the animal down. It got back up on its hind legs and thrashed around a bit, biting at its shoulder. I put a second shot into it, to anchor it to the river bank - no chasing brown bears in the dense brush for me, thank you very much!

For the second shot, the bear was on its side, facing away from me. The bullet entered behind a shoulder, near the spine. It broke several ribs on the way in, and paralleled the spine all the way to the base of the skull. The reacted to the second shot like it was hit by lightning. Lights out! The second TSX had traveled through about 3 feet of brown bear, punctured the skin to leave, but never exited. We found the bullet when skinning the animal; it just popped out and fell in my lap. A perfect X-Bullet mushroom - just like the magazine ads. I weighed the bullet, once I got home, and it weighed 270 grains. Pretty tough to beat that kind of performance.

This was my first experience with Barnes bullets on game. With this kind of performance, though, I don't think it will be my last.

Photos:

I wish I had the same experience with the 200gr TSX I was shooting this year out of my 300RUM. My recovered bullet out of the moose, or should I say fragments, were so minute in size I lost track of all the pieces laying on the tarp. The moose was quartered slightly to the left. The bullet went through the chest, broke a rip, fragmented, and most of the pieces laid up against the shoulder blade. I did happen to find the base, but there were no petals and only a fraction of the base remained.

I should have kept the pieces but it slipped my mind at 2am while loading up meat in the dark while being completely dehydrated and exhausted.

I recovered 3 225 TSX from a 338 wm out of my moose this fall, all were perfect examples of expansion & penetration. The shot was broadside at 225 paces the bullets were under the skin on the far side. I didn't weigh them but they look complete to me. Water Gremlin, how long of shot was yours? Anyone else shooting these out of an ultra mag to compare to?
    KK

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    I wish I had the same experience with the 200gr TSX I was shooting this year out of my 300RUM....
    Sorry to hear that. I know the feeling of disappointment when quality gear doesn't work the way it should. Been there myself with lots of different things.

Out of curiosity, what are you using now for bullets? Have you found one that holds together at Ultra Mag velocities? I've got an Ultra I need start tinkering with....

Default Bullets

Dan, try the Barnes in the Diablo. I bet you'll be happy with the accuracy and the performance. The other one I would use is a Swift A-Frame.

Water_Gremlin, I'd be interested in the distance to the moose also. And at what point do you think the bullet failed. You said it was dead.

I am thinking that the the only other bullet that might make a better showing would be the TBBC or the A frame. I don't think many would show that text book mushroom shape. If the TSX won't stand up to the Ultra mag there aren't many bullets that will. The best move would be to get the moose to back up some. Distance helps lots of bullets.

I don't think of the X/TSX as failure prone by breaking up they are more likely to "fail" to expand and become an FMJ spitzer, not become a grenade.
    They do generally seem to perform better in the smaller calibers (less than 338) at higher velocity, maybe this high velocity and the moose bones were a bit much. I would consider this more a failure of the caliber than the bullet.

But I don't think W/G said there was a failure of the bullet, just the frustration of picking out the pieces. I wonder does injesting pure copper cause brain damage, too. Hmmm!

Dan, how'd you get all the meat and blood out of the petals?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

The load was 30 cal 200gr. TSX, 77.5gr. RL 22, New Rem 300RUM brass, GM215M Primers, COAL 3.6".

This load shot incredibly well out of my rifle, so I decided to use it on my moose hunt. It is no where near a load max load of H870 in terms of bullet velocity, but I figured this load would do the job on a moose. I have heard stories of the Barnes bullets penetrating both shoulder blades of a bear or moose and coming out with four perfect petals and retaining almost all of it's weight. It seemed like a great load.

I shot my moose at 100 yards. The moose instantly dropped and never took another step. The bullet may not have had four perfect petals but the most important part is the moose did not trott off into the woods injured. I was disappointed I didn't recieve the perfect four petal recovered bullet I have heard so much about. BUT either way I have meat in the fridge...... And that is what matters.

i just got back from my goat hunt in alaska and took a 10 1/2 year old billy,i use blackhill ammo 300WM that used 180gr XXX bullet i shot the goat alittle over 100yds bullet went straight through both lungs and did not hit any bones and he dropped right in his tracks.i wished i would have found the bullet but it was a pass through,i was very impressed with these bullets i think i found what i will be shooting for now on.

My experience with 225 gr 338 on moose is exactly like Dan's. Wonderful bullet. J.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Dan, how'd you get all the meat and blood out of the petals?
    I picked the meat out with my pocket knife and a tooth pick. I kept rinsing the bullet in hot running water between picking attempts. The hot water made the meat soggy and easier to remove. The petals didn't give up their catch easily, though, the process took about 10 minutes.

I wanted to get the meat out to get an accurate weight of the bullet, but after I removed all the meat, I kind of regretted it. I think it looked better with hunks of meat in its claws.

Here's a picture of the bullet when I first removed it:

Smile

Dan,

That is great performance on the bullet for sure, I like to recover bullets. I have used a tooth brush to get the gunk out of the folds of the recovered bullet but it makes the tooth brush taste funny for a couple of weeks. I heard of maybe one other individual getting that performance from a 270 grain TSX.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

If you will dip the tooth brush in urine, it works faster and removes the strange taste (so I'm told).

The moose I shot last month with a TSX also went down fast. 200 yards, quartering away, 270 grn TSX, and .375H&H with lots of RL-15. Bullet entered the back third of the rib cage, took out a rib, liquified the close side lung, then exited the base of the neck/chest on the far side (in a straight line from penetration). No bullet fragments, no bullet...which is my typical experience with the X's...I've never recovered an X bullet. It's a nice picture, Dan. Hang on to that bullet. I wish I had a recovered X from any of the moose, brown bear, black bear, caribou or black tails that I have shot with them.

Recovered several X bullets from game most all looked just like like the above picture. Most all I recovered came from my ultramag the only one I ever lost the claws on and had the base was one that went completely through the spine of of a moose at about 10 yards.

Default 7mm TSX

I have been reviewing this post for some time now and I finally have a chance to share my pictures and experiences with every one.
    I shot a small bull last month with a 7mag loaded with a 160 grain TSX, 64 grains of H4831 at 140 yards. This was my first moose and first big game animal so I was extremely nervous and I thought I missed the bugger. It did not jump flinch or make any noises but after I waited for a couple of minutes I could hear it wheezing. It fell about 15 feet from where I shot it. A high rear lung shot and was poking out the membrane on the direct opposite side from where it entered. The bullet did not stay intact as you could see in the picture although I am impressed it was down so quick with such a small caliber. I assume it caused some major internal damages and hit some ribs on the way. One pedal remained.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 102_1866.JPG   102_1865.JPG  

I didnt use the TSX but the newer MRX on my Goat hunt 2 weeks ago. I was also not able to recover the bullet because it was a complete pass-through at 150 yards. But after seeing the shock damage inside I now know why the Goat died shortler the shortly after the shot. Gun was .308 Win, 150gr MRX,49.5 gr of BL(C)-2, new Remington brass,Federal 210 primers. Worked like a champ and I am now 100% sold on Barnes Bullets.

Tim
    If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
    If you can read this in English, thank a Soldier.