Thread: Another dissapointing hunting season

Default Another dissapointing hunting season

I don't have much time so I will keep this short and sweet. I got my moose and caribou meat,this year, yet I am a bit dissapointed in the hunting future out there.

I hunted one of the most populated hunting areas of the state this year. There were big rigs, argos, wheelers, track rigs, utvs, and wheelers galore. With all the opportunity to take kids hunting I saw 3 kids under 20 out there. Kinda makes me afraid for the future of my 2 kids. My 12 year old did amazingly well on a 450 honda this year, 30 miles back. He was the one in camp that made the adults "buck up" and work and hunt and he led by example.

I know I might be a broken record on this issue of kids and hunting, but I think it is important for kids today and the future of hunting. Our lifestyle is declining as hunters.

I know why people take kids hunting. Why don't parents take kids hunting?

It is nice to know that there are "ALASKANS" out there, no matter where they live.

Default missed my kids

I did get to hunt sheep with my son, and ducks with both my daughter and son. My annual Yukon sojurn was completed sans kids due to other committments. I missed them.
    My son is as eager as a good bird dog, and a really good hand in camp and during a hunt. He brings a lot to the table, and at 17 and really fit (superman XC skier/swimmer), we could have used that muscle too.
    My daughter is more laid back, but really likes the camp and hunting. She is normally our protector from invading grouse. At 13 she is much stronger, fit, (stud athlete soccer/swimmer) and more capable too. She is an exceptional shot and brought home a moose 2 years ago.
    We try to get out not only with our own kids, but other families too. If I am not taking them, somebody else is. You are right, the kids need all the chances they can, and the earlier, the better.
    I have a good friend who waited a long time to get his kids hunting. His daughter no longer likes to go out at all, and his son, while liking the hunt, has done so little that it is not near second nature, or even his first choice of things to do.
    Good hunt? Yes. Something missing? Yes. Hope next year at least one will be able to go. My son heads off to college next year, so only time will tell. The next adventure is a MI deer hunt this November with my daughter.

soon to be back in Alaska

Default Take a kid hunting, anybody's kid

There are a lot of familys that use 4 wheelers and dont hunt. I came from a non hunting family and it is difficult to find non family members to go hunting with when it is not a priority from adults. So ask your neighbors kid if they want to go hunting even if the parents do not hunt. There are a lot of people who are interested but can not afford to spend thousands of dollars on equipment when they dont know where to go or what to do when they get it.

Did you learn where to shoot or how to skin an animal only from reading books and waching video? Those areas are usualy glossed over by the hunting shows. If you dont have a family member to give you a gun to use while you tag along to learn the basics it becomes an expensive and daunting task to try to learn own your own. Take a kid hunting, anybody's kid, even if they are in their 20's and teach them what to do.

Mountains of VA

It is a fact all across the US. Less people are hunting (sale of hunting licenses are down) and less hunters are passing the tradition on to our young people.

My mom used to complain about all the time I spent afield. And she could be a witch about it.

My Dad told her he would much rather know I was in the woods with my rifle than hanging out with bad influences, getting into mischief on some city street.

None of this is news to me and should not suprise anyone. All one has to do is read the responses on this very forum, to see why youngsters are disappointed and disgruntled. When they ask a question, they are told to research it out for themselves. They are told go read a book on the subject.
    They are told to learn it the hard way, "like I had to do".
    They are told that planning a hunt is so difficult, they have to pay for a consultant to do that for them. They are told that by law, the elders of our society have priority over them and therefore, if their chances for reasonably easy hunts are non-existant. They are told....They are told....So they do what is easier and that becomes their reality, drugs, booze, social life, further education, politics, all the things Real Hunters ignore in life. Hmmm, where did I go wrong in my decision making? Fact is their opportunities are far fewer than the ones we each enjoyed and seemingly be losing sight of that fact.