Thread: Goat hunt gear

Default Goat hunt gear

My buddy got drawn for a goat hunt this year. We have most of the gear we thought we may need until we remebered crampons. They are very expensive. Does anybody know where to get them cheaper than $119 a pair? Are they abosolutely necessary? thanks
    klickman

Default yes

I have the Kahatool (sp?) crampons from Barney's.....I think AMH may have them as well. They are not as extreme as mountaineering crampons, but are all you should need. Plus they will fit onto almost any kind of footwear. Mine have proved invaluable for crossing steep areas of snow, wet slippery grass and other unstable terrain. If I remember correctly they cost around 150.

If they will see limited use check the military surplus shops around town. They usually have a few used sets in the $50 range.

www.backcountry.com might have some, if you are using crampons you are probably gonna want ropes and mountaineering gear...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

www.craigslist.com has had a bunch of climbing gear and crampons on there. Any adds that list mountaineering equipment or climbing look in. So far they have been from $10-$150 on there depending on how high tech you want to go.

I'll second the Kahtoola endorsement. Mine are great on high, slick, steep slopes and alpine snowfields. They're loud on rocks, but quick and easy to put on/take off.

AKPM, the crampons in question are not the mountaineering design. They're designed for hikers and hunters on the slopes, not ice climbers.

As a general rule, I'm of the opinion that mountain goat hunters ought not go where we need ropes and harnesses to get - makes getting out with a goat far more challenging (or even life threatening) than it needs to be.

Default Not required

Stay off of where you need them. OR use the rest of the info and carry a set. I try to plan around taking them but have carried them plenty as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 Mauser View Post

AKPM, the crampons in question are not the mountaineering design. They're designed for hikers and hunters on the slopes, not ice climbers.

Ummm my mountaineering crampons are not ice climbing crampons (they are completely different, ice crapmons have toothed front points which allow front pointing on blu ice while mountaineering crampons have all smooth points they are lighter but less versitile), I don't know of any other kind of crapmon... Unless you plan on glacier travel or being on steep snow slopes (both of which you want mountaineering gear and knowledge) I would reccomend against them just another 2 things you have to carry and large metal spikes tend to grab gaitors and make you fall, they also provide no traction on rocks... I learned that the hard (and freaking scary) way.

That being said I got mine off www.sierratradingpost.com for like $50
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

As an absolute minimum bring insteps--you can get them for $50 at AMH. Goats live in the ice and rock. It's almost always steep, dangerous country. You need absolute, rock-solid traction to hunt here. Pinching pennies on adequate gear could get you seriously hurt or killed.

Default Still disagree.

I don't agree with your "at a minimum" comment. I hunt goats pretty much every year and without crampons or insteps 50% or so (I own both but they have a place). I do use them on occasion but it very much depends on where you are going. If you are in the rocks and off the ice, why would you be wearing crampons? Just my viewpoint and seriously, if you aren't gonna be on a glacier or other ice of sorts, why the metal?? Am I missing part of the story?

FWIW I bought some for my goat hunt and it wasn't for ice , it was for the steep grassy slopes, they bite in that stuff waaaay better than boot soles. Those steep grassy slopes are slipperier than snot when they are wet and thats where the crampons are a must.