Thread: 375jdj

Default 375jdj

Anyone have actual experience with the 375JDJ in a 14" Contender? Putting one together on a G2 frame, ported barrel from Warner Guns. Wondering if a 3 ring scope mount is essential or if an all steel set-up on 4 screw base is satisfactory. Thanks

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

No experience with the 375JDJ but I do have experience with the 430JDJ and the 411JDJ in 14" versions. I used nothing but Weaver rings and bases on both of them and they held up very well. 1 rear ring and 1 front ring is all I use on my Encore barrels and that is all I used on my Contender barrels when I was shooting the Contenders. That includes the 500 S&W and 45-70 barrels.

Default 375jdj

Thanks for the info Allen. I found a used Leupold double dovetail TC base for $10.00 and actually had two equal height Leupold rear (dovetail) rings in my "I'll probably never need this stuff but you never know" box. Ought to work well. Impressive ballistics on the cartridge.

I use the Leupold Dual Dovetail base and rings you mention on my 445 supermag which has a pretty stiff recoil and it works well. I have also used the weaver bases and rings with other barrels and it has served me well.

Default 375 Jdj

I shot my buddies contender in a 375 JDJ and it was pretty brutal. It had a 15 barrel, but was not ported. He did however have the 3 ring base on his. I am not sure that it is essential, but it is more of a comfort confidence factor. It was fun to shot, and we had a good time for a while shooting steel silhouette targets with it. I really enjoy the round it is a good shooter. Good luck with yours.

Whit

Default 375JDJ Thumper

Yeah, I figured the thing would kick so I am having some pretty interesting porting done from the place I'm getting the barrel from, Warner Guns in Warner OK. The porting, which is their own design costs less then $50.00. 36 venturi shaped ports 360 degrees around the muzzle, angled back 10 degrees. The Leupold base is pretty stiff with the 4 holes pretty close together. The base screws are fine thread which makes for better grip. That and the dual dovetails should make for a pretty good set-up. I expect to enjoy this beast.

Default planed loads??

Mouserboy, what loads are you planning to use for it? We were loading 270 and 300 with 4064 it was pretty accurate. We never did crono it though. But I am think somewhere between 16 and 1800 FPS.

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    Anyone have actual experience with the 375JDJ in a 14" Contender? Putting one together on a G2 frame, ported barrel from Warner Guns. Wondering if a 3 ring scope mount is essential or if an all steel set-up on 4 screw base is satisfactory. Thanks
    Yes I do. I have the Encore, 15 in. barrel, non ported. Encore/ Weaver base,4 screw, three split Leupold rings. I have no problems with 270 Hornady bullets, 48 grains of 4895, Fed 210 primers, and reformed 444 cases. Recoil is ( stout) even in the heaver Encore, i"de go with a three ring scope mount. Be carefull what scope you choose, some pistol scopes are to short to fit in some 3 ring setups. I use a 2x Leupold and have no trouble, the 4x lLeupold will not fit on my gun in that mount setup! Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Default 375jdj

I have researched the most efficienct reloading components and it appears that AA2520 is the best powder for this cartridge, so I will start with that. It looks as if 2100fps and 2000fps for the 270 and 300 grain bullets respectively are easily reached, though I will work up my particular set-up from softer loads. I also want to try the 250 grain Barnes Tripleshock.
    I have been told by some who have used them that alloy Weaver bases are acceptable, but I will stick with the all stell Leupold and see how it handles. Yes, the short tubes used on many scopes these days are very problematic when mounting on a number of common receivers. Thanks

Just for the record, it is mauserboy, not mouserboy. 8*)

I have researched the most efficienct reloading components and it appears that AA2520 is the best powder for this cartridge, so I will start with that. It looks as if 2100fps and 2000fps for the 270 and 300 grain bullets respectively are easily reached, though I will work up my particular set-up from softer loads. I also want to try the 250 grain Barnes Tripleshock.
    All this time I wondered why the original post was in the handloading pages....Now after the scope mount is resolved, we ease into the real reason it was here....I see, very clever.

I'm just joshin' Ya. I have much and many trials and tribulation with the various JDJ's including this one and an even greater number of other wildcats on this frame and other guns also. I won't get into all the calibers or bullets but will just say a couple of things if you want to hear them. I wonder about your research that came to a ball powder. Was it just the highest velocity of all those you saw listed?

In short barrels, faster and more consistant (accurate) velocity can be had with faster burning and easier to ignite small grain extruded powders.
    They are ultra clean burning and very consistant velocities.

With 270 grain bullets, 48.0 grains of H4895 (max) will give 2000 fps as will 45.0 grains of H322 (max). Also RL-7 or H322 are top notch for the 220 to 250 grain bullets. These powders are quieter and will not give the high muzzle flash of 2460 and 2520 powders.

I have a long list of loads for these guns, in the JDJ's and some of my own (better) wildcats based on the stronger 307/356 Win cases. I no longer have any desire to shoot them.

You said your barrel was from Warner, I'm not familiar with them enough to know what twist barrel they make but the "standard" twist is for 1 in 12" twist but that isn't needed for 250 grain (lead) or lighter bullets. I once had a 14" with 14" twist barrel made and it was pretty decent to shoot with the 225 to 250 grain bullets. If your barrel has a tighter twist these loads will be over max and recoil will be worse. Recoil for you with the porting will be ok though.

When shooting a heavy caliber ported pistol the scope mount MUST be very strong. This porting provides for a double shuffle in the recoil and it will test the mount and scope. These are the only calibers that I will use lock-tite on the base screws. The Leupold dual-dovetail (two rings) will hold the scope and the four screw steel base is enough but correctly torgue the base screws and add a dab of 242 lock-tite to them.

Not to dispute anyone's use of the Weavers but the aluminum base will loosen as the holes elongate with this level of recoil, if you shoot it very much. And contrary to what Mr. Jones says, 10 year old girls don't shoot this caliber very much.
    Last edited by Murphy; 09-29-2007 at 22:11.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default O.K. Murphy

You'll notice that in my original posting my first sentence asked if anyone had any actual experience with this cartridge, which covers loading and shooting. I then asked a specific question about the mount.
    I researched articles and reports on the 375JDJ cartridge and found that several people, knowledgeable by what they wrote found that AA2520 gave good performance. None made mention of high muzzle flash or level of noise, neither of which is a deciding factor for me. Obvious by the velocities being the same or better then some extruded powders, burning is pretty complete. AA2520 is slower burning then H or IMR4895, but isn't a slow burning powder, just slower then 4895. No, I don't go just by the max velocities, and I rarely go over 90% loads unless it is a cartridge that requires a max load for best accuracy. The quantity of powder required for reaching specific velocity is one thing I look for, meaning if a cartridge with a certain bullet weight requires less powder to reach the same velocity as another requiring more probably means it is more efficient.
    I have used ball powder for a number of different cartridges over the years I have reloaded for pistol and rifle and I like certain characteristics. None of the articles I read on this cartridge called for a magnum primers, most suggested that the Federal 210 or CCI 200 work fine. I don't foresee any ignition problems in that case with AA2520. But, it is the powder I am starting with and as has often happened in the past I may very well gravitate to another powder if it seems the right way to go.
    In my experience, the .444 Marlin case is a strong case, but adjusting a case for headspacing in a TC Contender requires a few steps that aren't necessary for another pistol.
    The barrel is a TC manufactured barrel, but Warner does the porting. I had a long talk with Ray White, the "hands on" guy at Warner Guns regarding the porting and his theories about porting, based on his understanding of physics and his ideas make sense to me. His porting is not straight hole bored, but rather cut in a venturi shape for easing the "sharp edge" the felt recoil. He has designed his porting to deal with the double tap of recoil caused by the bullet breaking at the muzzle and the mass of the gases both. Hope this clarifies.

When referring to the 2460 and 2520 powders that were made for a rifle I mean they will give less consistant velocities than 4895 or H322 or RL-7 in a 14" barrel. I am well aware of where they fall in the burning rate table. Ball also give greater muzzle flash if that isn't a consideration so be it.

I'm sure Warners muzzle brakes work and hopefully he understands the physics behind it. His brakes may not give the fore-aft shuffle of some of the brakes and that will make the scope mounts last longer.

And as for your original inquiry, looking over the list of responders, you only have one with actual experience with the caliber (Whitlock) since you have discounted my input. I'm glad you have found "knowledgable" people to turn to.

You obviously read something into my post that wasn't there. Have a good evening.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Murphy, was up?

Wow, did I push a bad button or something? You asked me to explain the whys of my choices along with several other inquirys and I did. It seems to me you are reading something into the post. I didn't mean that you weren't knowledgeable, just that the articles I read were done by people who seemed to know what they were writing about. If I had known you would have taken it soooo personally, I wouldn't have responded at all. But, that would have seemed rude to me. I always appreciate your experienced postings, but as you may recall from previous postings, I know a little stuff too. Guess I'll have to choose my words more carefully in future. You have a good evening too.

Wink

Forgot to say that if you use Hornaday 270 grain bullets make sure that they are the round nose,and not the spire point type. The tec I spoke to at Hornaday said that you should expect no expansion from the spire point type in the JDJ, it"s a much tougher bullet, and made for higher impact vel'S.Bill
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Default Spire point a no-no

Thanks for the tip. 8*)

I have been told by some who have used them that alloy Weaver bases are acceptable, but I will stick with the all stell Leupold and see how it handles. Yes, the short tubes used on many scopes these days are very problematic when mounting on a number of common receivers. Thanks

Just for the record, it is mauserboy, not mouserboy. 8*)
    I think mouserboy really fits You said, "I figured the thing would kick" Really???? Now that was a good guess and I think you are right about that. Sounds complicated that porting you are having done. Could you be so kind and go into the theory of it's design. You make it sound quite deep actually. Sure hope it works for you. I find myself enjoying your posts somewhat in the same way I like reading reviews by rock stars on Post-mordernism versus Modernism from a pragmatic, existential, objective absolutism, with a fundamentalist perspective on cultural impact. Really deep, keep it up, good work. What do you intend to hunt with this cartridge and TC?
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

What did you put in your coffee this morning?

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    What did you put in your coffee this morning?
    You would not believe how strong my coffee was.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Quick Googling

http://www.gunporting.com/atfaudit.htm.htm

He's an x LA cop with some ATF problems

http://www.gunporting.com/

Huh? Are they #6 or #8s?
    These ports are extra large for .375 and up caliber firearms. This porting will flow the gasses another 30% faster than our basic porting. Basic cost is $70.00 plus insured shipping back to you. The Thompson Center barrel shown below has had the base screws increased from 4 to 6 and the screw sizes increased from 6 - 48 thread to 8 - 40 thread size. This increases the strength of the barrel to scope base interface by about 300%.

Anyhoo, Oklahoma Quantum Physics complete with "venturis" in this shotgun barrels.

OBTW, I used four rings.
    Porting does little to reduce rearward recoil, just helps reduce muzzle rise.