Thread: Ak Hunting News: California Congressman Wants Aerial Shooting Ban

Arrow Ak Hunting News: California Congressman Wants Aerial Shooting Ban

This news clip is from Alaska Hunting News. Discussion is welcome. This news feed is robot generated.

Congressman George Miller (D-Calif) wants to halt the use of aircraft in the taking of wolves and other wildlife by blocking an exemption in existing federal legislation that allows states to use aircraft to take wildlife in the administration of wildlife.

Miller's legislation, the "Protect America's Wildlife Act" or PAW act was introduced by Miller along with Rep. John Dingell (D-MI), the dean of the House and floor manager of the debate on the original Airborne Hunting Act, and Rep. Norm Dicks (D-WA), the chair of the Interior Appropriations Subcommittee.

The legislation's sponsors did not suggest alternate methods for managing predator populations, even in situations where depressed game populations could hurt subsistence harvests.

We welcome news tips that are useful to the community. Please send tips and links to complete stories by email to webmaster@outdoorsdirectory.com.

Angry California punks

This guy is obviously an uneducated pos. This Miller creep, along with John Toppenberg (head of the local Defenders of Wildlife-is he from California too? If not he should be!) insist that aerial hunting is unethical and not fair chase. These guys can't divorce themselves from the fact that it is NOT HUNTING. It is predator control. Go to their (DOW) website and see what "hunters" have to say about aerial predator control. Hmm... Interesting that they interview four hunters, all from North Seattle-er...Southeast. The website is full of misinformation and makes me sick.

Anyone else see clips of DOW wold hunting video aired on the news? Great footage...shot in the '70s! Apparently one of their "wold kills" in fact is a wolf being darted not hunted. These people suck.

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images

funny how the state that houses the smut epicenter of the world (hollywood) and some of the worst gang violence in the country (LA) insists on trying to be the nations morality dipstick.

Lujon what I think is funny is how the one Republican most held dear by the Grand Old Party was not only an actor for Hollywood, but also a Californian! <grin>. Man, haven't any of you ever been to Orange County or farther south to Nixon country? California's a mixed bag really. Anyway, just wanted to throw out there to not blame the state, or people (like me <grin>) from there, for one congressman's actions. And Tim, I don't know whether Miller is really a "creep." Certainly I disagree with some of what you have to say from time to time, but I wouldn't resort to throwing out derogatory comments about your person. If I did, I sure don't think it would reflect well on me.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Lujon what I think is funny is how the one Republican most held dear by the Grand Old Party was not only an actor for Hollywood, but also a Californian! <grin>...
    Held dear by whom? The party?

Not by me.

I can understand if you aren't one of them and don't want to be lumped with them but a large group of somebodies elected them.

Get out now! While you still can!

Channel 2 in Anchorage conducted an unscientific poll on this issue yesterday, and about 2/3 said NO to such a ban.

See http://www.ktuu.com/global/story.asp?s=7135034

David

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default Good news...but

I like that almost 60% of people that voted in KTUU's 'un'scientific poll would oppose a federal ban on aerial wolf control- but does it worry/sadden anyone else that roughly 4 out of 10 said they would support the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT intervening on the issue??

Reminds me of a military class (Airman leadership school) I went too the instructor was asked by one of the students what the difference between Republicans and Democrats was. The actual response was "Democrats are for poor people and republicans are for the rich" I came unglued! (probably why I didn't get any awards out of the class, knowledge isn't a requirement for leadership I guess) I put torpedoes on target and called her out in front of the whole class. Democrats core belief is a strong federal govt while the republicans are supposed to stand for strong states rights with the idea that the states can best govern themselves on most issues. One could launch a pretty successful argument that the last eight years haven't totally gone that way but it has been an extraordinary eight years. Of the 27 people in that class I was the only one who even knew the central beliefs of the parties. Sad we preach get out and vote or MTV "Rock The Vote" but probably less than 10&#37; of the population understands what the core beliefs are of the two main parties. I would tell all to teach those around you, the schools aren't doing it, Just like we can't be divided as hunters because of personal views on things like bear baiting and using dogs we need to preach the maintenance of each states RIGHT to govern itself on all but truly NATIONAL issues!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Reminds me of a military class (Airman leadership school) I went too the instructor was asked by one of the students what the difference between Republicans and Democrats was. The actual response was "Democrats are for poor people and republicans are for the rich" I came unglued! (probably why I didn't get any awards out of the class, knowledge isn't a requirement for leadership I guess) I put torpedoes on target and called her out in front of the whole class. Democrats core belief is a strong federal govt while the republicans are supposed to stand for strong states rights with the idea that the states can best govern themselves on most issues. One could launch a pretty successful argument that the last eight years haven't totally gone that way but it has been an extraordinary eight years. Of the 27 people in that class I was the only one who even knew the central beliefs of the parties. Sad we preach get out and vote or MTV "Rock The Vote" but probably less than 10&#37; of the population understands what the core beliefs are of the two main parties. I would tell all to teach those around you, the schools aren't doing it, Just like we can't be divided as hunters because of personal views on things like bear baiting and using dogs we need to preach the maintenance of each states RIGHT to govern itself on all but truly NATIONAL issues!
    I would have said that the main difference between the 2 political parties was well known to surgeons.

Surgeons prefer to work on Democrats since it is an easier and more simplified surgery process.

They (Democrats) got no heart and no guts, and their head and their butt are interchangeable.

jedi
    Last edited by Brian M; 09-28-2007 at 08:18. Reason: language

Bushrat, you're right name calling does make the caller (me!) look stupid! I couldn't help it though, the wolf hunting video they aired wasn't even from the same era! That made me snap.

I'm sure not all Californian's are horrible people-its easy to blame out-of-staters for being anti-wolf and predator control; it seems un-Alaskan to be against hunting and trapping (like DOW and John Toppenberg).

Jedi: I lmaf at your post!

Tim

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Lujon what I think is funny is how the one Republican most held dear by the Grand Old Party was not only an actor for Hollywood, but also a Californian! <grin>. Man, haven't any of you ever been to Orange County or farther south to Nixon country? California's a mixed bag really.....
    All true. I'm from Orange County, and it's still a bastion of conservatives on the coast surrounded by liberals. It really reminds me of the Anchorage/Mat-Su relationship.

San Diego used to be an amazingly conservative big city, but I'm not so sure about that anymore.

Get away from the coast and north of the Bay Area and you find a majority who are conservative and real tired of the kooks.

Tim, I ain't happy about some congressman from California trying to intervene in this either. Nor am I happy with the stunt of having a cute captive wolf in front of the cameras! I just think when we argue a point publicly that if we leave out the name-calling we come across a lot better.

And David, that KTUU poll was ridiculous cuz it used the term aerial "hunting." I keep harping on this, but every time this issue comes up hunters are getting a black eye, and part of that too is in how we as a group respond to these things.

We have likely gone too far with the aerial control efforts in the recent past with how we dealt with this publicly. What Alaska and our BOG under Murkowski decided to do was basically tell everyone else to screw off, even Alaskan hunters like myself who opposed some of the programs. Frank and the BOG publicly espoused a tough-guy "we don't care what you think" attitude. Mostly this was directed at Outsiders from the lower-48, but that kind of public relations imo is plain stupid and it has and will come back to bite us as hunters. There is a body of Alaskan hunters out there unhappy with the extent of some of the control programs, for various reasons. As I have said before, all those signatures for the ballot initiative (to ban public aerial gunning) from the villages come from a heck of a lot of hunters too. As far back as the early 70s, most all of the pred-management studies and programs spoke to the need to garner public acceptance in order to be able to continue with these programs when needed. But we totally shifted from trying to educate and inform and work with the public and moved to just a "we don't care what you think" mode of doing things. Twice the public voted to ban aerial gunning, and twice after the two-year statute the legislature overrode the will of the people. Every time this issue comes up - and it will be big again in the media next year - both the media and hunters somehow quote or infer aerial gunning as "hunting" and we lose the respect of more of the public. This $400k the state is spending now on a pred-management education campaign will be interesting. We'll see what they come up with and if it helps at all. My only hope is that it is unbiased and fair and speaks to some of the issues that concern hunters like myself.

Newsflash:

Most Alaskan want to ban Aerial Wolf Shooting
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Ban Hunting-yes!

This is not hunting this is predator control to help stressed game populations!

I don't want to eat store bought meat! Send these liberal AH to a slaughter plant, will all be eating cabbage.

Louie