Thread: Peltor PowerCom report

Thumbs up Peltor PowerCom report

I purchased 2 sets of the Peltor PowerCom noise canceling wireless communication headsets. I used them for on board communication on my recent Yukon trip.
    Prior to the trip I first tried them on the boat for one v one comm. The PTT feature worked well and the button is easy to find and push. The VOX feature is delayed on the first word spoken, so you have to say your partners name and then start talking. The on board communication was good.
    Next I dropped my son off on a long stretch of river. We kept in line of sight and I progressed out to 2 miles. For the most part he heard and understood me for the entire distance. I started losing what he was saying due to motor/electronic interference and hull interference at just over 1.25 miles. At 1.5 miles I really had to strain to understand him. At 2 miles I could hear him but not understand him. At 2 miles I slowed to an idle. I could understand very little.
    At 2 miles with the motor shut off, I still had a bit of a problem hearing everything clearly. He said he heard me pretty well. When I got out of the cabin and faced his direction, it got better.
    Generally I did not feel like boat to boat comm would be very good past 1 mile, if that.
    The headsets come with a push button system to change the menu. The voice telling you what the selection is sounds female and well, not very sexy, but she gets the job done. You can select on each menu from a setting of 1/low to 5/high. You can adjust volume, squelch, surround, channel, sub-channel, and change from low power (close range/battery savings) to high power.
    The units are not too heavy, but after wearing them for the most part of 11 hours my ears felt pinched. But they used to feel pinched while wearing my David Clark Aviation headset also. The next day my ears started to get sore after just a few hours.
    The noise cancelling worked really well. My boat is powered by a Yamaha 150hp V-Max. I had the prop unit on. I have never had a dosimeter on board, but the noise level is well above 85db based on experience.
    When the boat is off, and the surround is turned up, the amplification is also very good. I was going to try them while calling moose (but never got around to it) just to see if I could hear any better. remember, being a com set it would be illegal for 2 or more people to wear them and use them for hunting/communications.
    I just purchased another 2 headsets. Next year boat #1 will run while on channel 1 and boat # 2 will run while on channel 2. If one wants to communicate with the other it is just a matter of going through the menu and changing the channel. As I recall there are over 13 channels and 30 odd subchannels for vice versa. Well more than I would ever need.
    On low power and in use for approximately 30 hours, the 2 AA batteries were only changed on each headset 2 or 3 times. (Sorry, it was a long trip.)
    All in all I am glad that I made the decision to purchase them based on just the one trip this year. I will also keep them on board for use while I have the jet unit on during the summer. I may have to get yet another set for the other 2 members of my family.

Default Great info!

Thanks for the review. I've been thinking of getting a pair of these for our lengthly annual trips down the Yukon as well. I believe the PowerComs have an audio in jack so that you can plug in an mp3 player as well to kill the silence between conversations. I think you need a Peltor adapter to do this and hey're pretty proud of them.

Again, thanks...I'll put these on my x-mas list!

Default adapter

I don't recall seeing a port for an adapter, but will look when I go home. I do wish that they came with a padded bag, but will go find one myself as they are way to costly to be stepped on. At least for a working man. I might even see about a Pelican case or similar. Being cheap I might even go to Value Village and see if there is an old small hard sided suitcase. Never know what a guy can find.

I have a pair my wife and I use on our boat. They work great and we don't leave home without them. I don't regret buying them and have over 100 hours of use on them so far on the boat. Also, work good on the 4 wheelers.

I got mine at Pro Tec Alaska in fairbanks.