Thread: How much insulation for boots...

Default How much insulation for boots...

What is your personal preference for boot insulation versus the temperatures and weather you will be using the boots in? I have a friend that wears 200 gram thinsulate danners year round, no matter what. I also have friends who think they need 1000 gram thinsulate if there is snow on the ground.

I am in the process of choosing a new set of hunting boots, these will be for hiking through anything and everything, in the fall/winter but not in -40. I actually have been looking at the Irish Setter Elk Trackers and Deer Trackers, they seem like really good boots, and they are the general direction I'm looking for. Can't really decide between 200 up to 600 grams insulation.

So what do you guys think? Any other suggestions?

Thanks, schmidty

Wow, its been a full year since I started this thread and no one responded. Well today I went and bought some Irish Setter Elk Trackers with 600 grams of thinsulate. They are real nice boots and that is about the right insulation for me.

No one else must own any boots or have any preference huh?

schmidty

Never saw your post last year or else, but i can tell you you made a good choice. i have the irish setters big game trackers (i think that is the name) in 800 gm and they are the most comfortable boots i have. my only regret is that i should've gotten them in 400 or 600 gm. the 800's are great for being active in winter here in anchorage, but outside of winter, even fall, they are very warm and i sweat a lot. you should be able to use those in all but the summer months (maybe 5 months out of the year?). 200 gets a little cold when you stop in the winter.

good luck with your boots! you'll be happy with them

I havent been on here a year, but I have a pair of Ft Jacksons by danner that I wear. They are 600 thin. and I do fine with them.

The thing is the amount of activity you'll be ingaged in and your bodies metabolism has a huge bearing on what type of footwear you'll be comfortable in. If you're constantly on the go, you really don't need much insulation. If you're spending a goodly amount of time standing still, then you need way more insulation.

Personally I've been using leather mountaineering boots and find them sufficiently insulated for down to -30. I don't spend alot of time standing/sitting at low temps so don't know how well they'd do in those conditions. It would probably be best to carry a pair of low temp pack boots or bunny boots for when you aren't active.

Wow I own a pair of Irish setter 800's and they are too hot for summer and way to cold for real winter. I wish I could get my $$ back. The boots offer no real support for long hiking. This forces you to curl your toes to keep your feet from sliding around un uneven terrain which eventually ends in blisters. I think there are three boots that cover 98% of AK situations. You need good knee high rubber boots, a pair of mountain boots (like the Lowa's, Kenetreks, Miendl,), and a pair of good ole bunny boots. You can add your favorite flavor of waders to the mix to catch the extra 2%. I can't find a single situation that my Setters out performed my Kenetreks. I would be comfortable in uninsulated boots the vast majority of my time in the field but I honestly believe that 200-400 gram thinsulate is not going to make an appreciable difference to most people.
    I hope you like your boots, if they are comfortable to you then that is what matters. Mine kept me dry for about a year but now they get water in the sole and squeek when I walk plus it eventually seeps up into the footbed so they are mostly retired after one season, I will still take them out chassing bunnies in Oct/Nov for SHORT hunts (3-4 hours) close to the truck on fairly level terain.

I've been pretty comfortable with 200-400 grams during this time of the year and even during colder temperatures.

A lot really depends on socks and level of activity. I like wool pretty much all year round. On my hunt my boots were 400 gram Cabelas Professional Guide boot with a pair of Danner Ft Lewis Go-Devils as back up.

Where I live on the AK PEN they're adequate for the weather we have down there.

My moose hunt this year was also an equipment shakedown and I'll be making a few changes such as spennding a little extra money and switching to the Bean boot.
    Now what ?

I wear a pair of Danner's in 600 gram and they seem to do ok, in Jan/Feb when it's below zero and I'm not walking a whole lot I wouldn't mind a bit warmer though.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post
    I wear a pair of Danner's in 600 gram and they seem to do ok, in Jan/Feb when it's below zero and I'm not walking a whole lot I wouldn't mind a bit warmer though.

Jon
    Pffffft..............When it's that cold I'm breaking out the Lacross Icemans.
    Now what ?