Thread: How long should I take to hunt for deer on POW

Default How long should I take to hunt for deer on POW

I am wondering how long to dedicate for the hunt. I'd like to get out and about while I'm there. If I spend 10 days there I'm sure I could hunt 9 out of 10 but to be realistic how much time should I allot? Is deer something to spend that much time on or will I have a reasonable chance to harvest a good representation of the species in less time? I see Kingfisherktn scored in 5 days but I am not too knowledgable of the area. First week of Sept, road system, north island, would rather pack in than drive around.
    Joel

Default Joel

Sent you PM

kingfisherktn

Default PM me too ;-)

I goto Kodiak, Sitka, Ketchikan in October for some computer work, please let me know if I can any blacktails at night while there.....(will be at each place for 2 days)

you can try, they had massive winterkill this year. take the ferry over to the airport in Ketch, there are a few deer around. Bring xtra tuffs and good raingear.

Default The deer are there.

The deer are availabe if you look in the right places. My two sons and their two friends hunted POW in August. They only hunted alpine and saw between 60-70 deer with at least 30 being bucks. They brought home 6 bucks, 1-4x4, 2-3x3's and 3- 2x2's.

Good hunting Joel.

kingfisherktn

Default no deer

the winter snow killed off alot of deer on POW, would be better off hunting Prince William Sound or Kodiak if you were looking for alot of deer. You would have to hunt real hard to get any "nice" deer on POW.

Hunterh13, I would love to hunt those areas but to put it bluntly, I'd rather deal with a black bear than a brown on my first adventure in Alaska. Now I know what you are thinking so don't say it cause my ears are plugged and I'm chanting LALALALALALALALALALAL! Let me step in the shallow end of the pool-o-the-backwoods.
    Joel

Saw this buck killed by a local (are you on the board?). This was parked in front of the sporting goods store in Craig, he killed it that morning on the way out of his hunting spot. He was packing out the smaller buck he killed when this guy stood up. He used the quad to get to his location. I know a quad isn't going very far on POW unless its on a road. I'm guessing that this guy was actually driving to a blocked off road and then taking the quad past where its blocked off, then hiking into the alpines. Nice buck no matter what.