Thread: Seeking advice on guides / charter for 1st

Default Seeking advice on guides / charter for 1st

I am a collage student that has a friend in Alaska who said "come up for a week". So I am staying with him in Ank for a week.

So because I don't have a lot of money I was wondering if there was a guide or charter that was the best value for Halibut one day and the Salmon the next day (doesn't have to be the same charter). He said I could borrow a car, but I don't know if it is ok to drive to Homer or Seward just for a day fish trip?

Also is there a way to send some of the fish back to folks in lower 48?

Thanks again for your advice!

EDIT: I will be there July 29th through the 3rd of Aug.

Why don't you just do a combo for salmon and halibut and spend the next day taking care of your fish and see more of Alaska? Just a thought.

Default seward

My opinion, best bet for the limited time would be Seward, silvers are usually in, can usually get some nice halibut and even some rockfish (which are delicious) and its pretty out there, although the weather can be a little "sketchy" sometimes. Check with the chamber of commerce there, Im not sure of who is out there right now for good deals. But everytime I have gone its been a blast!
    Good luck!
    <*)))><

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45
    Why don't you just do a combo for salmon and halibut and spend the next day taking care of your fish and see more of Alaska? Just a thought.
    I thought I could space the trip out and get a better chance at getting salmon and halibut to send back... Maybe I am wrong in thinking that trying to catch too much in one trip out will lessen my chances of getting good fish to send back?

I have 4-5 days there... I could spend 1 day fishing half a day taking care of the fish etc, 1/2 day see more Alaska. Rinse and repeat?

I was planning on going to Seaward to take a sight seening boat to watch the glaciers "cavas" (is that the right spelling?).

I guess I was just looking for the best value for the money guide / charter. And I don't have to go fishing everyday, but I do like the Salmon, and my support group back home (parents) want me to send Halibut. What would you do?

I would go to Seward and book a combo charter for halibut and silvers 1 day then take part of the next day and get them shipped back home. That should only take a few hours and then you can take a cruise down the Seward Highway or Glenn Highway and see some more of Alaska. You could also go back to Seward and do a half day cruise whale watching/glacier calving and on your way back, stop and eat dinner at the Double Musky!

You can arguable make Seward a day trip, although its a just over 2 hour drive from Anchorage. The drive to Homer and Deep Creek is usually called the suicide run if you try it in a day, my advice after doing it just once is don't. Whittier is another option and is a legitimate one day trip from Anchorage. Whittier seems to be the most expensive however but you save on gas and lodging. There are a number of good charters that fish for salmon by trolling and then go for halibut as the tide changes so it can be done in one day and you pay for one trip instead of two. If I could afford it, I'd do a guided trip on one of the rivers for salmon and then a halibut trip. If money is somewhat of a concern, a combo trip out of Deep Creek, just plan on spending a couple nights there.

Thanks for all your advice. I have messaged Crackerjack out of Seaward to see if he has just one opening for a combo trip in late July.

Is Double Musky in Seaward? Im always in for good food!

The Double Musky is in Girdwood on the way back from Seward, they don't take reservations but in my opinion, the wait is worth it. Great cajun food with an Alaskan touch!

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45
    The Double Musky is in Girdwood on the way back from Seward, they don't take reservations but in my opinion, the wait is worth it. Great cajun food with an Alaskan touch!
    the peppercorn newyork steak is my favorite thing at the musky what do you like

Booked Crackerjack for the 1st of August, combo trip. I will post to this message after I get back to report on the trip experance! Thanks again for all advice.

Thumbs up Double Musky

Quote Originally Posted by ripndrag
    the peppercorn newyork steak is my favorite thing at the musky what do you like
    I love their gumbo!