Thread: My first coyote and salvation after a long unsuccessfull moose hunt

Thumbs up My first coyote and salvation after a long unsuccessfull moose hunt

I finally rolled my first coyote! I haven't kept track but this was probably my 10th or 11th set over the last year since I first became interested in coyote hunting, and first with my new FX5. I was having no luck hunting bears in the Caribou Hills (after having spent much of the week hunting moose on Tustumena), and I had heard some coyote chatter late the night before, so the next morning I set out for a little knoll on top of a small ridge with my caller and 338. The sun was warm so set out my caller down wind from where I figured the coyotes would come from, laid prone on the tundra and started calling.

I started with some vole squeaks and crow calls hoping that I might call in a curious black bear, but I soon fell asleep having been so relaxed by the suns heat and the distinct lack of bugs and wind. I'd wake up every 20-30 minutes and hit the crow call again. The last time I woke up I saw two coyotes headed right for my caller at a distance of about 200 yards. My rifle was already in position so once my nerves were calmed (its taken me over a year to get to this point!) cranked the 3-9 Bushnell up to 9 and squeezed off a 225 grain TSX. When the light weight T3 came back to rest and I got my eye lined back with the scope I saw some feet flying around then nothing. I gathered myself, took a few minutes to let him expire and further calm my nerves. I had spent the last 6 days unsuccessfully hunting moose/bear, so this was salvation or sorts.

Its not a big coyote, but its my first.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Nice shooting Brook! Glad all that time finally paid off. I am concerned on the lack of killing power of the mighty 338 though. Think I will have to bring my 375 for the coyotes. Just kidding.

I really like the picture from your shooting position looking down your rifle! Pretty cool.

Awesome job! I'm really interested in coyote hunting too, but no luck as of yet. Did the 338 blow him up very much? Or not too much pelt damage? I have a 7mm Tikka T3, they are really nice rifles, but I also have a Ruger 338.

Looks like you had a blast, literally! Nice shooting.

I would guess 2 .338 holes. Solid bullet in and out. easy to sew up a small hole like that.

great pics love the one from your sniping nest. what kind of caller were you using? I keep looking at the electronic ones with the remote just thinking that being able to set the speaker away from your position seem like the best way to go. I am realy interested in getting out for some predator blasting since I got skunked for everything else this year.

There was a 1/4" hole going in and a 2-1/2" hole going out, never hit bone as I shot him right behind the ribs. I won't post pics of the exit, but I will say that there was quite a mess. If someone wants a picture or accurate measurements for ballistic research I can email you one along with data on the load and rifle. I would have loved to find the bullet.

I bought a Fox Pro FX5 because I liked the digital readout on the hand held remote, their top of the line reputation, and its compact size and light weight. So far I'm very happy with the purchase but the lower cost of the FX3 is pretty attractive. (I like the digital remote because I want to have lots of calls for any situation without having to worry about keeping a list handy. Bear hunting, but see a coyote in the distance, etc)
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    great pics love the one from your sniping nest. what kind of caller were you using? I keep looking at the electronic ones with the remote just thinking that being able to set the speaker away from your position seem like the best way to go. I am realy interested in getting out for some predator blasting since I got skunked for everything else this year.
    Next to the ability for one person to hunt like two people I think the best part of a remote caller is the ability to make loud calls without damaging your hearing.

If you ever want to go out on the Kenai let me know.

Thanks for the info on the caller I have been looking at the foxpro website and I think I just added one more thing to my hunting wishlist. I would probably end up in an even more expensive divorce if I bought one anytime soon! But I have a heck of a wife that just bought me a new 325 wsm A-bolt for moose season so I couldn't blame her for being a bit tiffed. I think I will go down to Chimo's and see if they have any of the 139 grain hornadys for my 7 mag though, the advertised ballistics show it being a point and shoot operation out to 300 yards.
    I am waiting on my truck to be delivered as it is getting shipped up from my last duty station but then the wife and I are planning on making a trip down to visit family in Kenai. It would be nice to meet the lady behind the Alaska 4x4 network
    That website as well ODD helped me keep my sanity while in Iraq this year!

Default Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info on the 338 holes bgreen. Oh and Lujon, I was just looking at those hornadys this weekend and was curious too. If you test them out with your 7mm let us know how they shoot, I might have to get some.

Default Overkill

How about a 22 hornady,223 or a 17 cal for yotes,thats like taking a 7mm and going bird hunting.Glad you got a yote

let me check the gun locker.... 22 hornady-no, 223-no, 17 cal-no, 7mm Mag yep got one of those. Never understood the word overkill dead is dead and I don't have the cash to throw down on a dedicated varmint gun at this time but one day I will have a 22-250 in my colection.

Ya, I have a .243 Sako thats a great coyote rifle, but I dont carry two rifles when I'm headed out bear hunting. Also, I would never take a 200 yard shot at a coyote with any .17, and likely not a 50 yard shot. The minimum I'd consider would be a .204 ruger. I had a .338 because I was in the woods looking for bears in prime grizz country. I brought my .44 mag for backup and my .338 for hunting moose and bears, and my wifes .22 pistol for stupid chickens and figured that was enough firepower for the week.

I'm going to try some 185 grain loads this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Thanks for the info on the caller I have been looking at the foxpro website and I think I just added one more thing to my hunting wishlist. I would probably end up in an even more expensive divorce if I bought one anytime soon! But I have a heck of a wife that just bought me a new 325 wsm A-bolt for moose season so I couldn't blame her for being a bit tiffed. I think I will go down to Chimo's and see if they have any of the 139 grain hornadys for my 7 mag though, the advertised ballistics show it being a point and shoot operation out to 300 yards.

I am waiting on my truck to be delivered as it is getting shipped up from my last duty station but then the wife and I are planning on making a trip down to visit family in Kenai. It would be nice to meet the lady behind the Alaska 4x4 network
    That website as well ODD helped me keep my sanity while in Iraq this year!

Sounds like we'd probably get along pretty well. Your welcome to meet my wife Molly, she is pretty supportive of my outdoor hobbies too, and like you, I have to be carefull to not push my luck. If your thinking that Brook is the Lady behind the Alaska 4x4 Network, you might want to know thats me, a 6'4" 260 lb man with lots of scars and tattoos.

well heck never saw a photo and thanks for the correction! I will probably have to take you off my list of potential fly in hunting partners since I am 6'5 245 lb, on most charters we would only be authorized to take rifles and stay under the weight limit. Would definitely enjoy getting out on the Kenai Pen since I have only been down that way for whats in the rivers never whats around them!

Thumbs up

Way to go Brook. If you have time Mon. or Tue. at work, swing by. I decided it had been so long since I had taken a moose with a 30-06 that I would give it a go just for kicks. (left my 375 H&H at home for the first time in a YEARS)
    Ended up taking my first brown bear a 30-06. 1 round, no tracking needed.

Just a side note. I shot a coyote years back with my 375 and hit bone. The exit hole was 3-4 times that of what you described yours as. Have to make sure you get a completely broadside shot and your bullet doesnt come any where near that shoulder or backbone (when throwing bear medicine at them)