Thread: black bear with a bow

Default black bear with a bow

Going to go look for a black bear up in the berries this weekend, wondering if anyone has taken one this way and had any advice.

Never really tried it. Would like to, but I'm still tryin' to tag one with my rifle before I go with my bow.

I believe most people bow hunt for blackies out of stands but I'm sure there's a few here who stalk em'.

I'd take a backup along if I were you, and good luck!

Jon

I took a nice bear on spot and stalk a few weeks ago with a bow, but it was on a river munching on salmon. spot and stalk is easy if you keep the wind in your favor, they are pretty forgiving with noise and movement. I walked to 18 yards of a young bear in the spring, she was just feeding on the side of the road eating grass and we walked right to her with the wind in our favor.

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter83 View Post
    Going to go look for a black bear up in the berries this weekend, wondering if anyone has taken one this way and had any advice.
    Very doable! The beauty of hunting bears on the berries is that they generally stay put. I have seen them camped out in a patch of blueberries for several hours at a time. Just keep the wind in your favor and noise to a minimum and you shoud get a shot. We are flying west of town Friday afternoon and plan on doing the same thing. Good luck.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Set and wait when you find a good area. Don't be in a rush to go after it once you find one. Once you made your mind then head after the bear..
    Sometimes it better to let them eat and see which way they are heading and get in front of them...
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Just my thoughts

If you think your legs are strong the Turnagain arm area has several nice bears, bring some hip boots to cross the river, then be prepared to work for a while, GL

Completed my first successfull bow hunt yesterday, taking a black bear on berries. This is a very doable hunt as noted above once they are focused on eating blue berries they are very approachable.

My partner and I got to 30 yards in fairly open ground with the wind in our face, bear never knew we where there. Made for a great video.

I now see what the attraction to this sport is about. LOL

Let's see some video!!

Jon

thanks for the advice and good stories, I'll let everyone know how it went when i get back. Leave tomorrow at 6am.

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post
    Let's see some video!!

Jon

Just now trying to figure out the whole video down load thing. I'll post it up once I get it all figured out.