Thread: lug nut question

Default lug nut question

i bought a new snow machine trailer for my argo drove all the way to fairbanks to moose hunt made the trip fine but the the next day drove about two miles down the road and i see my tire in the road all the lug nuts fallen off ,so went to fair banks bought new lug nuts put on tight
    drove another two miles and they fell off again why ?

Inspect the holes in the wheel, they have probably wallowed out from being run loose.

If it has studs, replace them. From being run loose they can have stress cracks. Most of the time when run loose they break off anyway.

Or does that trailer have lug studs that thread into the hub?

When tightening the nuts, snug them all up, doing a star pattern, then go back around a few times. Best to use a torque wrench, 80 ft/lbs.

Then drive for a few miles and check the torque on them again.

Was it the left side that came loose?

Good luck

thanks for the info and yes it was the left side why do you ask ?

With the assembly turning counter clock-wise it has more of a tendancy for nuts to come loose, or if left loose back completly off.

Alot of older vehicles the lugnuts on the left side are left hand thread. So if you're working on something and can't get that **** lugnut off, maybe it's a lefty. Some of them have an L stamped on the end of the stud.