Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GLOCK 20(10mm) for bear protection?

Thumbs up GLOCK 20(10mm) for bear protection?

What do you guys think? Obviously when im hunting i will have a cannon(444 or 338), but when im fishing/camping im thinking im going to want somthing more compact.

How about a super reliable 10mm semi-auto with more energy than a .357mag, holds 15 rounds, can shoot 200 and 230grn hardcast bullets at about 750ft-lbs muzzle energy. Greater sectional density than a 125grn .357mag, and a bigger hole. Light to carry and much more compact than a hugh 460S&W or 500S&W.

Also, with a 6" aftermarket barrel, it will be pumping out about 950 ft-lbs at the muzzle. Thats close to a .41mag

You guys and gals seem to know your stuff, so im going to keep asking ya'll questions. thanks...

Default touch up work

If I were going to use a 10mm auto for "close in bear work" I would file off the front sight!

Default sight?

what does filing off the sight do?

Default here we go!!!!!!!

You had to ask.

Wink that's an old joke up here...

so it doesn't hurt too much when the bear shoves it up your asterisk.

man...you walked into that one... <GRIN>
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default heehee!

BWWAAHHAAA! Didnt think there was anyone left!

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default Awesome

I love it- no offense aggiehunter, but I haven't seen that one work in quite awhile- great fun!!!!

I would think that a .44 Magnum, or even better, a .454 Casull revolver would be much better. However, if all you have is a 10mm pistol, use that. The problem I can see is with the ammo, since most pistol ammo is designed to shoot humans. If the bullets were hard-cast or similar, they would penetrate much deeper on bears.

I know of a young guy who was charged by a black bear a few years ago, and he killed it with a .40-caliber pistol before the bear got close enough to bite.

Default Lead bullets & Glocks...

used to be non-compatible. Not a big fan of Glocks so I don't keep up with them - but if this is still true then you're limited to jacketed bullets..
    Two men say they're Jesus, one of them must be wrong...

Default Nevermind..

just reread the original post and noted the aftermarket barrel...
    Two men say they're Jesus, one of them must be wrong...

would rather have a 10mm than a 22 or a rock but I will stick with my Red Hawk!

This summer I came upon a black bear while mountain biking, my wife and kids were not far behind me. I spotted him at about 20 yards and he was looking the other way on the trail. Once I got off the bike stopped the family and had them get off their bikes I noticed the reason the bear was looking the other way was there was a group of moutain bikers coming in (7 or 8 people), they were attempting to chase the bear off. The bear turned and started to slowing walk our ways, as both parties attempted to yell the bear off the trail I finally shot in front of him when he was in the uncomfortable distance (about 10-12 yards), he continued to stare at us and we kept yelling at him, finally he moved off the trail and heading into the brush about 20 yards were he looked our way and both parties continued on our ways.

I came up to the other group and they asked me what kind of pistol I had. Told them a 45 which he stated was probably a little too little a pistol for bear. I asked him what he had and he said no guns or spray. Well truth is I'd like to have more of a gun but this one is a loaner and it works quite nice until I can financially reason a larger gun. But something is better than nothing I figure, if a 45 cal round is a bit weak as some would say a 10MM round is to there will be plenty of his buddies following the first one, if the bear did not go down it will defidently feel like it went through a heck of a fight when a clip is empty, especially if you get some practice shooting in.

Talking Aggie

Quote Originally Posted by AggieHunter View Post
    what does filing off the sight do?
    I am sure glad an Aggie asked that before I did.

GO LONGHORNS

Randy

you *******s! Hahahahahha
    I actually remember reading about that like a year ago (the sight thing). Yeah being an aggie is tough sometimes. hahahah But it comes with the territory!

Remember..... the best aggie jokes come from aggies! Its part of our tradition. Proudest member of the fightin' texas aggie class of 2007! WHOOP!

I dont know fellows.. if one round of 10 mil is enough to blow a 4" chunk out of a 250lbs hog at 50 yards and send him straight down, then surely 15+ rounds is enough to take down a mean bear?

10mm 230grn: 950ft-lbs of energy x 15 rounds= 14,250 ft-lbs of energy
    454 casul 240 grn: 1923 ft-lbs x 5rounds= 9,615ft-lbs of energy

??????????????
    Anyone?

Thumbs up DOUBLE TAP AMMO(10mm)

Check this stuff out.....
    especially the 200 and 230grn stuff

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...30738b66142f7c

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default Data

Interesting data, unfortunately I only carry 300-350 grain bullets for my 454...and it is a 6 shot pistol...I like my chances over yours... Plus, whose to say you will get all 15 shots into the bear- if one is close enough to warrant actually shooting, I doubt you will get 15 well placed shots off- it will most likely only be a few- again, I like my chances...
    Last edited by sockeye1; 09-25-2007 at 23:13. Reason: more info

Thumbs up Whhoaaa!

Im interested now! You have a 6 shot 454??? I like that a bit better. What brand is it? Do you buy buffalo bore ammo or what?? How much was it?

I do have something to add however....

Whose to say you will get your shots into the bear either? Is it better to have a gun that you can shoot accurately and fire repeatedly or a gun that will fire a cannon shell that might be fired inaccurately? I guess what im saying is if you miss on your first shot of two, I might have been able to shoot it 4 or 5 times and land two good hits in the time it takes you to recover and fire again. I guess is might depend on the quality of the shooter then? But btw, the 300 and 350 grn bullets have quite a bit less energy than the 240grn load i listed. Penetration, which is a factor of sectional density, is still about the same for the 230grn 10mm and the 300grn .

Im playing the devils advocate here maybe, but its a good discussion...

Default choices

Given the choice If I only had time to get off one shot It had better do the trick.

i carry a 10mm colt 1911 for my handgun and i love it. i've shot a grizz, dall sheep and mountain goat with mine. the 10mm is probalby the most underated hand gun, just because numbers on paper don't show that great, don't mean the field work aren't impressive! i'm shooting 200 grain hornady XTP in mine and its been great! i'd rather have it in my hand than a 44 only cause i shoot it better, more comfortable quicker follow ups and i can load it iwth one hand with my scalp pulled over my eyes...hard to do that with a 44, specially when its lodged in your backside...but a clip..you can change that no matter how deep that gun is located.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast