Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advice on tents

Default advice on tents

Hey guys I'm looking into getting a new tent and I dont mind spending decent money on it. Just looking for your info on what you perfer. I plan on using it during the summer and winter months. Im not planning on packing it a long way so weight is not an issue. Thanks for any advice

Default How big???

How many people are you looking at trying to get in it? If weight isn't an issue the Cabelas Guide Model tents have yet to let me down.

Default tents

I second the Guide Tents--------------used the 6 person model for 2 trips this year---one on Kodiak where the winds blew 45+ for 3 days and in Kotz. where the winds hit us at 75+---on neither occassion did the tent fail. We did however have to prop the wall up in Kotz. with 2 packframes to keep the poles from bending inside the tent.
    For a 2 person I would vote for the Moutain Hardwear Trango-------we used this as a spike tent on Kodiak and it was bullet proof

RC

Default Ak guide tents

I'm a cheap A#* when it comes to gear, and over the years have bought numerous crappy tents, I have always regretted it, my buddies have the 6 man Ak guide tents from Cabelas and those things are awesome, they hold up in strong winds and always stay dry. I'm going to break down and get one this year. I thought I was cool and went to REI this year and got a Kelty 3 season tent, HA,. it's a one season tent in Ak. No more messing around for me. Cabelas here I come.

Default Two tents for your purposes

I'd have a look at either the Bombshelter from Barney's Sport Chalet or the Arctic Oven from Alaska Tent & Tarp. Both are a similar design, provide enough room in which to stand, and offer numerous tiedown points for bad wind. They are very stout and would be suitable for winter camping in Alaska, unlike the Cabela's tents mentioned.

Best regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Kifaru

Just a thought. You might want to look into the Kifaur teepee. It has some disadvantages (no floor) but it comes with a take-down wood burning stove and weighs 8 pounds including the stove. That's for the 6 person size which I think would be perfect for 2 people and is adequate for 3.

If you get it, be sure to include the liner. We have had it in some pretty hard winds with no failures yet. It is pricey.

Default Cabela's Guide or Arctic Oven

We just got back from 10 days in the Brooks Range using an 8 man Cabela's Guide Tent. NO problems with wind and rain when you have that tent. If you are going in the winter I would opt for the Arctic Oven. That will definitely be going on my next trip. Going into a nice warm tent sure makes those windy, rainy days more bearable.

Even if price or weight doesn't matter, how large of a tent are you looking for? I'm a big fan of the North Face Mountain 25 tent. Its a 4 season 2 person tent. Its packed full of really smart features. Its the most well thought out tent I think I've ever seen. Its a $450 tent but its never leaked or perspired (no condensation due to smart design!) even when spending weeks in southeast alaska and being drizzled/rained on every day.

http://www.thenorthface.com/opencms/...5E&language=en

Sorry about not saying how many people I would have.

It would be normally 2 maybe 3

Keep the advice coming guys

Default North Face

I have a North Face Expedition 36 which is perfect for 2 people, and you could do 3 and still have some room to spare if they are not over 6'6". It also has lots of vestibule room at both ends. 4 seasons mountaineering tent, so it will take whatever weather you encounter. Only downfall is they are hard to find since they are no longer manufactured.

Check it out, I think you'll like the quality and value.

This thread is by a guy detailing his use of a Kifaru tipi in wintertime Alaska.

http://forums.kifaru.net/ubbthreads....=106633&page=0

Cheers

Default find me a tent...

If weight is NO issue then I second Strahan's suggestions... Bombshelter or Arctic Oven... However, you won't be packing a 40-50lb tent very far.... I was looking for a bomb proof tent that (though heavy) could be packed.

Take a look at this web site http://www.findmeatent.com/ and look under the expedition tents.

I own a NorthFace Himalayan 47. If the bomb shelter is "bomb proof" then this thing should be rated as a Nuclear blast safe fall out shelter.... And at 15lbs can be packed a little ways anyhow....

This site has lots of good tent info also. Detailed pics and specs of lots of tents.

http://www.moontrail.com/tents/tent_overview.html
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Wind, Rain, and Snow

If you are looking for a packable tent, consider the Mountain Hardware Trango 3.1. It is great for two and gear, and it will fit three. It has more vesibule area than any other like sized mountaineering tent. It will put up with all types of weather. You can set up just the fly and a ground cover, if you are looking to go ultra light.

I do miss hunting from a wall tent, or something with a stove that you can stand up in. Still I can put this in a pack and I know it withstand the weather.
    Chet

Give www.hilleberg.com a look. They don't come cheap though!
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

I do miss hunting from a wall tent, or something with a stove that you can stand up in.
    you can have your cake and eat it, too. check out the kifaru line. Patrick (founded mountainsmith and then started kifaru after he sold it) has spent most of his life working on how to travel comfortably in the backcountry under his own power. you all really owe this stuff a look:

http://www.kifaru.net/TIPI.HTM

Take a look at the Eureka line of tents, i've used several of them over the years and they are outstanding tents. K2-XT, Apex 2XT are what I have used in the past and they worked great but were not exactly what I was looking for though I am looking at the Outfitter Assault 4 for float hunting.

Default North face or Eureka

I have a North Face Mountain 25 excellent tent and a Eureka Timberline Outfitter 6 Man both excellent tents......make sure you get a footprint to protect the bottom!
    Alaska

Default Bombshelter............

If packing it is not an issue I'd go with the Bombshelter

The name is accurate

Easy to set up

The new generation at Barney's has a lot of improved features

Best of all right now they're on sale for almost half off.......which makes them my slam dunk choice

Default Cabelas XWT

I have two cabelas guide models but they have both layed on top of me in enough wind and bent the poles, no holes or breaks though. The XWT is twice the tent from design to material. I believe it will take the wind and rain the bomb shelter or arctic oven will at half the price. Since I bought my XWT the guide models became the cook tents. I haven't had it in really bad wind yet unsheltered, but I am sure it will take it easily.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast