Thread: Looking for moose hunting info

Default Looking for moose hunting info

I haven't hunted moose in over 10 years (too much sheep hunting). Yes, I am already making plans for next Sept.

I am wanting to fly into Shageluk(north of Aniak) and float the Innoko river and get picked up on the Yukon river. Anyone do this float? PM me!

The season is way more liberal if you hunt in unit 18.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Paradise Controlled Area

My thought is that I would find less hunters on the lower part of the Innoko due to the fact the area is closed to aircraft use.

I would need to find a air taxi to pick us up on the Yukon. Any ideas?

If an area is closed to the use of aircraft can you use a air taxi when you leave the area to haul game taken in that area? I was under the assumption you had to use an established airport and regularly scheduled flights.

Default why are you giving away...

my secret honey hole?

Default if it is your honey hole

you just gave it away. Honey Hole means it produces for you. Nobody knew that until now. I have seen some of my honey holes on here but never posted about them when I seen it. Now nobody still knows what it is. Not trying to bust your balls, but feel for ya. But chances are traffic won't increase on ya.

Default pick up

You must be out of the restricted area to be picked up.

Looking at the map it looks like a 90 mile float. About how many mile does one float in a day?

I was thinking about taking 12 days to do this hunt. Too much or too little time?

You aren't realizing that alot of the locals will be hunting and travelling that area. What you don't see in drop off hunters, you will see in local hunters in powered boats. You want to hunt an area that allows you to possibly float/paddle into less travelled sloughs or creeks. There are alot of places like that along the yukon. Shageluk and the Paradise area are unit 21. Shorter season. Unit 18 has a considerable longer season.
    Goalie, if you were smart you'd get a boat and offer drop hunts along the river.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default 12 days...

You could float the Innoko down & paddle back up a coupla times...figure if it's a 3 mph current, you're going to have @ least 10-12 hrs of daylight, you could easily do it in 12 days, with two days spent at every spike camp set up, you'd have to float only 6 times in the duration...

Bag the Innoko. The Golden moose land still holds monster bulls but hunting is getting harder there. Yes lots of locals will be running it.

Follow Martens lead. Go to Aniak and book with Inland air and fly to Unit 18 with Steve. You won't be sorry.

I seen one local boat in 10 days this year in our area that was it.