Thread: lead

Default lead

Does anyone have a connection in town to get lead for casting bullets? Back home we would get it from a few tire shops, they were more than happy for you to come take it by the bucket full. I have checked with a few tire shops here in Anchorage, and they looked at me like i was crazy.

Jake

I haven't been able to get any in awhile. I used to buy it for $20 a 5 gal bucket, but the place I got em from no longer sells em. A buddy traded me 6 buckets a few years back, and that's kept me in bullets.

You might have better luck from some of the smaller shops.

Is there an indoor range with bullet traps in or around Anchorage? If so, they're likely to be selling it. Too many alloys for muzzleloader use, but still useful for general cast bullets if you do your own testing and alloy work. Usually lots of jacket fragments and range dust mixed in, but they float to the top when the lead melts and you can skim them off. I'd sure flux before skimming the "dust" off however, because a fair bit of that may turn out to be tin or antimony that will re-enter and alloy the lead with fluxing. End result is ingots of a hardness probably too soft for use as-is for casting like wheelweights, but you can add your own tin or antimony to harden it up to your specs before bullet casting.

Call any scrap metal yard in Anchorage and they will be happy to sell you all you can afford, or haul off. You will have a big laugh, if you ask them first what they pay for lead before you ask hem what it will cost you.

Thumbs down

The scrap yard on King st will sell it to you for .75 a pound for raw wheel weights.
    They buy it for .15 . First hand knowledge on that .
    I go through about 2 tons of Linotype and about 3 tons of wheel weight lead a year and if you can find any in Los Anchorage for less than .75 get it !!!
    Ironicly I have mine USPS shipped up from the lower 48 in brick form ready to go into the casting pot for less than what you can get it at the scrap yard ,go figure .

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Well heck Rick, don't hold back. Please clue us in. Where does a fellow find such a great deal on metal?

Talking

Big Al
    No big secret . I put feelers out on other forums and watch ebay for guys that list many batches at a time and I email them tell them I am interested in a couple tons and can you help .
    I usually get it around .55 a pound shipped .

Went to the post office today and when I walked up with my pink slip the Postal Lady just groaned , is it heavy ??? they ask and then I have to go to the loading dock in back to get my goodies .
    600 pounds of soft lead today . It was a tad higher at .66 apound shipped .

Good luck .

RR

USS SARATOGA CV-60

My problem with that was the USPS boxes coming apart from the lead and loosing some along the way. I would say for ever five boxes received, three would be damaged.

I've never been able to buy lino that cheaply with shipping flat rate priority mail. Most people won't go more than 30 to 40 pounds per box, not that I blame them.

I wish I had a known source for pure lead, even a hundred pounds would be great to have on hand. It is much easier to find alloy, than pure lead.

Have you tried the large meplat bullets in .480 out to two hundred yards?

I'm thinking of getting one of those lever action Pumas in .480 Ruger and thought that flat nose would be perfect in that tube magazine. Make a good keep in the truck kind of rifle.

Default lead for sale

Great Northern Guns has hundreds of 2 lb. cast ingots that are the equivalent of wheelweight metal, but not at .55 a lb. Considering that pure lead is about $3500 per ton, that's a great price.

Talking

Al
    Yep you must explain in detail to the shipper how to prepare a Flat rate box or like you said it will fall apart along the way .
    If you get someone that has been doing it awhile you will have no problem .
    At the least it must be double boxed and nothing loose floating around in the box to damage it while in transport
    I had ten boxes show up yesterday at an average of 62 pounds a box and no loss of lead just the usual looks from the postal ladies when they see me come walking up !!!!
    They are very friendly postal Ladies here.
    Lead is very hard to come by here in Alaska .
    When I have family driving up from the lower 48 I always try to get them to snag lead and or alloy for me , has not worked yet but I still ask !!!!!

I have not done any testing of the heavy meplat .480 at long distances .
    I do have a few customers in the lower 48 that have some sort of .480 rifles , maybe a Handi rifle ?? that use some of my 530 Grain WFNGC .
    I have not asked and they have not shared how they do at 200 or any yardage for tha matter , they just keep ordering !!!!
    Sorry no help.

RR

USS SARATOGA CV-60

Thank you Rick for the reply. I really don't plan on needing any more lead in my life time as I have a lot on hand now. I just don't have any pure lead on hand other than wire for jacketed bullet making.

I do like your products at least the one's I got from you for the .500 S&W have worked vary well.

Keep up the great work!

I had forgotten about this ad on another forum. Anyone in need of alloy might want to contact this fellow. http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/Ya...num=1189632937