Thread: Eddie Johnstone Rifle

Default Eddie Johnstone Rifle

I have a rifle that has no cal markings on it the only markings on it is the Name Eddie Johnstone. How do I find the chamber & caliber for this thing. Any body heard of it?

Default Eddystone Rife

It probably is a deriative of the 1917 Eddystone Rifle that held five 30/06 shells.

We would have to see it to make sure.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Do a chamber cast to find out what cartridge it is chambered for. If you haven't done it on your own before, take it to a gunsmith to have that done.

Default A photo, if possible would help greatly...

Many times, a gunsmith will apply his or the customer's name to a rebarrel job. The rest of the rifle could be anything under the sun from a Mauser, an 03 or one of the myriad commercial actions available.
    Any marks on the receiver?

Default No Marks

No other mark any where, I took it to a gun Smith and he couldn't do it. Have not tryed again. 1917 Eddystone yes it hold 5 shells and 30.06 chambers and reject perfect, but not going to pull the trigger. Looks like a fine gun, stock needs to be refinished but I'd do that only if I wanted to sell.
    Good info Thomas if you saw you could tell more I'll PM you and maybe we could work that out. I get home I'll check it out more thanks. Dan

Default Eddystones

There was some guy who bought a bunch of them and converted them to 300 winchester magnum down in Montana and then brought them up to Alaska in the early 1980's.

The barrels were still marked 30/06 yet they were chambered for 300 Winchester magnum.

Well somebody from Valdez brought one of those things up to our place. We used to have a place with a 300 yard Range in Kenny Lake. Sure enough,
    they thought to try and shoot a 30/06 in it. It didn't kill the guy but it bloodied him up pretty good and blew up the rifle.

You are best to take it to a gunsmith or somebody who knows their stuff
    when it comes to figuring out its chamber. I am too short in the tooth and tied to a school desk. There are several people on this forum who really know their stuff and can help you.

The Eddystones are pretty strong actions but you shouldn't just try 06 ammo.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Default U.S. Model of 1917 EDDYSTONE....

Quote Originally Posted by alaskapiranha View Post
    No other mark any where, I took it to a gun Smith and he couldn't do it. Have not tryed again. 1917 Eddystone yes it hold 5 shells and 30.06 chambers and reject perfect, but not going to pull the trigger. Looks like a fine gun, stock needs to be refinished but I'd do that only if I wanted to sell.
    Good info Thomas if you saw you could tell more I'll PM you and maybe we could work that out. I get home I'll check it out more thanks. Dan

Dan,

On the right side of the front receiver ring is the inscription above. If your rifle is a 1917 Eddystone rifle they are quite obvious in appearance. My guess is that it has been "sporterized" or shaved in various places and may not be identifiable, in which case care in determining the actual caliber would be prudent. The 1917 rifle was made in the Remington owned plant in Eddystone, PA. I had to chuckle at your original post, but I don't know what the rifle is. Some barrels were made by JA (Johnson Automatic) but Eddystone is the plant location.

This rifle will hold six rounds in the magazine not five, and it is called (correctly) the model 1917 not the P-17. The British rifle was the P-14 in 303 British caliber and the original was the 276 calibre P-13 which was abandoned for the 303 Brit. There never really was a P-17.

"I took it to a gun Smith and he couldn't do it." What does that mean? He couldn't tell what it was or couldn't tell the caliber? Not much of a smith.

Could you post a picture? Or if not I'm sure if you google Eddystone 1917 there will be a picture there somewhere. These rifles were like nothing else. The cock on closing instead of the standard cock on opening. They are not stamped 30-06 or at all for that matter unless they were imported back into the U.S. after 1968 then on the bottom of the barrel will be 30-06. If the bolt hasn't been recut to accept a magnum case head and if it is still 30 caliber or with the original barrel, it is very likely a 30-06. A very simple chamber cast will tell all.

What are your plans for this rifle? Do you want it for collector value or as a hunter? If an oiriginal 1917 rifle that's a good find. I bought my first one for about $17 from the DCM in about 1971.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Super Great INFO, Thank You Very Much All

I have had the gun for 10 years, got it from an estate, for helping them take care of personal matters. Not so much into collecting, nor do I claim to know bunchs about guns. To cover all my needs I have a 30-30, .270W & .300 win mag. If I can not kill it with one of those it's a safe animal. The though of a 30.06 addition as a all around gun is great.
    I will post a photo and I thank you very much for all the info here. The gun smith I took it to just said he could do it, didn't ask if every or just right now. Don't know one, havn't been to one since there was an old man in Muldoon in the 70 by the Bowling Alley.
    I could work harder on the chamber thing but I don't think I'll ever fire it anyway. The history and or how they came to be is way more important. Looks like that got answered. Though I did a web search and failed to find info. Hence why I asked here.

Great INFO and experience here Thank You very much. Photo in October, maybe I'll post it for sale with pic.

Default Photo's of Eddystone

Boy again Thanks for all the info. No gun buff here, love hunting and outdoors but never learned any thing about different guns --> exact markings, no caliber
    US
    Model of 1917
    Eddystone
    ser# xxxxxx
    Lets see if photo work
    Last edited by alaskapiranha; 04-27-2008 at 15:10.

An evening with wood files on that stock would be a worthwhile venture. Vary good grain layout on that stock. You really have a prime rifle for the home gunsmithing project. No finner safety has ever been made than that style on the Enfield! Yes that good of wood sure could stand a little work.

If it was mine, it would get rebarreled to .375 H&H with action work. Does it still cock on closing?