Thread: Late season lakers at Lake Louise

Default Late season lakers at Lake Louise

I am looking at a trip this weekend to Lake Louise. Has anyone fished it this late? Patterns? Lures? Anyone else thinking about heading up?

Thanks,
    Mike

boy, I just pulled out my ice fishing gear yesterday. Have to send the cover in to get a window repaired.

Started going through my ice fishing rigs for lakers. It's the only thing to fish worth fishing!!!!! The incidental char up to 19 lbs isn't bad either.

Fished it a couple weeks ago and was skunked. We ran everything from Rapalas, spoons, jigs to herring rigged and nada. The fish were showing 50' deep and some at 80'. The most showed between the last island and the creek to Susitna through the deep trough.

Mike-pulled my boat last weekend from up there.Caught almost a doz.on several different set ups.Did well on silver krocks with the sparkly center's.Also caught a few on cut hearing.I too seen several fish in the 30' to 50' depths but all our fish were caught in the 15' to 20' depths.Most fish in the 6 to 8#'s,nothing huge but at least we had action.If you have the bug then it's worth the drive.If your into bunny hunting,pm me.

they will be on the shoals and creek mouths spawning ect. They will also be fattening up on whatever they can find...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Powder monkey's right. I haven't been there this year but right now they are shallow for the most part. I've caught them on just about anything I've thrown at them. Check the regs, I think it's still one Laker per day and it must be 24 inches or longer to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Mike-pulled my boat last weekend from up there.Caught almost a doz.on several different set ups.Did well on silver krocks with the sparkly center's.Also caught a few on cut hearing.I too seen several fish in the 30' to 50' depths but all our fish were caught in the 15' to 20' depths.Most fish in the 6 to 8#'s,nothing huge but at least we had action.If you have the bug then it's worth the drive.If your into bunny hunting,pm me.
    Thanks for the info!

Steve - Last trip we got 10 fish about that size. I was fishing large "lures" trying for a fattie while my buddy got 8 fish in the first few hours. I changed up and got 2 in a couple hours. They were nice fish, nothing over 30" though. A friend got a female and she was post spawn. I would believe that they should be following the thermocline layer up and eating like crazy.

No bunnies for me. They are too cute and cuddly when I have a nice steak in the fridge.

I hope you got done what you wanted/needed to on the cabin. I am looking for a lot myself.

AK2AZ - I have not seen any fish brought up from 50' or more. We had some "bigger" fish follow up from 40ish. Personal experience says that the fatties are just below the small ones. They cannot beat the smaller ones to the lure. Fish slower. 1.3-1.6 MPH GPS. Tow a bucket if you have to. I have trolled the area that you did and have not done well there. There is a short troll near the creek that has done well, but it is very small. You have to do figure 8's to stay on it.

If the weather is decent I will make a last try.

Thanks all,
    Mike

I caught this 30 incher with a # 5 silver vibrex with a fish pattern on the blade on a near by lake(it's a secret spot) of lake louise at the begining of sep. with 2 casts in knee deep water and I was done. Can't ask for much better luck than that and it was the biggest I've caught

nice, fish...but then I have to ask, it looks like it came from a nuclear waste plant pond....definatly oddly colored.

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    nice, fish...but then I have to ask, it looks like it came from a nuclear waste plant pond....definatly oddly colored.
    That picture tells me that the lakers up there spawn end of Aug to Early Sep.

06tributeman - Nice fish. Were you in knee deep water or the fish also? I was believing that they spawned on underwater ledges about 20 feet down.

Mike

Thumbs up

The lakers are spawning in the shallow water from mid Sept to early October. Try jigging around Bird Island in 15-30 feet of water with lead head jigs and a white plastic leech. Cut your motor & drift over the spawners ~ you can see them below you on a clear day. Try a 4-5 foot ultralight pole with 4# test line, it is a blast but it is a two man operation ~ one fishes & the other runs the boat to keep up with the fish. Biggest fish we ever caught was 16#.

dirtofak I was in knee deep water and so was the fish. If you look at the picture again I was fishing at the edge of the grass right behind my head, It stays knee deep for about 70' out from the grass and then drops off. I caught mine about 15 ft. out from the grass after the guy I was fishing with lured him in with his lure. he had already caught a 24", 26.5" and 28in before I said screw it I want to try. Most of the ones you could see coming to the suface were about 10 to 25' out from the grass(note: there was no creek around us)