Thread: recoil pad

Default recoil pad

While remaining reasonably priced, what would anyone suggest as an effective recoil pad which won't add too much thickness and length to the rifle.

Pacmyhr Decellerator pad.

Ditto Bill's recommendation

Default recoil pad

The Sims Limbsaver pad.

Whichever you choose, be really careful about the length of pull. You are likely to have to trim the stock a bit to make room for it, even with long arms like mine. Try this: Unscrew the buttplate and tape the recoil pad in place. Put on your hunting coat and mount the rifle quickly. If the recoil pad drops to the floor, it's time to shorten the stock.

Another fine-tuning tip: Gently grind and round the top end of the recoil pad, enough to break that square corner and round it on about a 1/4" radius. Your looking for the lines on the buttplate of a fine double shotgun here. The slight rounding will dramatically cut down on the incidence of your rifle snagging on your coat when you raise it quickly to shoot.

I prefer the Limbsaver over the decellerator. Depending on what you're shooting, before you do any trimming of the stock, you might want to try a slip-on recoil pad and see how you like a _longer_ lop. My own experience has been that most folk with moderate to heavy recoiling rifles shoot a rifle that has a tad too little lop. Lengthening the pull takes out some of the bite. There's certainly too much lop, but factory stocks seem to be a bit short.

YMMV.
    He fears his fate too much or his desserts are small who fears on just one touch to win or lose it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S.
    Pacmyhr Decellerator pad.
    I put one of those on my 300 RUM and it works great! It was the same thickness as the stock pad.

Limbsaver recoild pad is the best imo,really takes the punch out of the recoil

I prefer the limbsaver. For me its been effective, easy to install, reasonablly priced, and reliable.