Thread: Garmin Rinos???

MNTS_R_MY_PLYGRND

Default Garmin Rinos???

Looking at these just have a few question. If you have a Garmin Rino can you see where all other garmin rino users are in relation and ones that you don't want to know where say your treestand is at or do you have to program the rinos to talk to eachother to be abale to see where they are at?

You can turn the locating feature on or off. Also they only transmit their location when the mic is keyed. And we all know using a radio for hunting is a no no. So if you are just using the gps function you will remain hidden. I've been using a couple 120's for about 7 years now. Rarely use the radio as it eats batteries faster. Actually worn the rubber off the buttons on the one I use the most. Would that be warranty?

I also use a 120 and am looking into the 530HCX. Does anyone have any use on it...good or bad? The 120 is a good GPS in my eyes I just can not get it to interface with my computer for the mapping software I have.

What type of software are you using? I've always been able to get my 120 working with a variety of software programs. I have a 530 and a Fortrex which are a bit on the tricky side to get to interface sometimes, depending on the software.

On another note; my wife uses a Forerunner which came with some interesting software that tracks all sort of stuff.

I am using the Nat. Geo. TOPO program and the box says that it should work...I am have problems with it when it ask's what comm port to select and I have called Garmin about it and they dont really know. My buddy had a 60csx and that all worked fine when I dumped his info into the computer. What are the issues with the 530's that make it tricky?

I use the same topo program with my 120's without a hitch. Let us know about your computer and what the error message is and one of us might be able to figure it out. I have used this topo program for a few years now.

Default 120 Rino

With the Nat'l Geographic TOPO software I use the below settings with my 120, I've selected the eTrex GPS as there is not a 120 Rino option and it works great.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default 530 Rino

I can get it to work on a two year old Dell laptop with the Nat'l Geographic TOPO software but not on my 5 year old desktop. If you can not get your PC to talk to your GPS you may look at this link:
    http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/

You can also check out: http://www.geocaching.com/ (they have a free membership plan along with a members price, I just have the free one).

I can get all Garmin GPSs (120, 530, Fortrex and Forerunner) talking to Garmin mapping software but I prefer the Nat'l Geo TOPO software for hunting and fishing by far.

Thanks for all the info guys and I will go out to get the cable....I will let you all know how it turns out. THanks again

Default Software

What is your opinions on the best Rino Compatable software for downloading maps as far a detail of terrain and ease of use??

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    With the Nat'l Geographic TOPO software I use the below settings with my 120, I've selected the eTrex GPS as there is not a 120 Rino option and it works great.
    The issue might be trying to find the right COM port on your computer. Since the TOPO software doesn't have a 120 setting I left mine on "none of the above" and have no problems either.

As far as downloading maps to the Rino, I use Mapsource. Works fine for me. The only wierd thing is when I go to download tracks and way points to the computer the maps on the computer have no elevation lines nor any detail at all. I've tried to change settings and nothing works. Is this the way it is or am I missing something? I do have all the latest updates downloaded.

Well guys I went and got the cable...and still a no-go. Once again I called Garmin with the issue of the comm port and it was still a no-go. I am just going to upgrade to the 530 HCX. Thanks for all your help and info!! If you want a good deal on a 120 let me know. Thanks again

I use the 530 and have a friend that just got the 530HCX. The HCX came with Topo2008 that is just as detailed as USGS topo maps. He put a 2gb flash memory card into it and I loaded the WHOLE state of Alaska into it....took 835mb.

For the money...I'd get the 530HCX just because of the much better maps and ability to load a ton into memory.

Regular 530 just has 56mb of memory.