Thread: Sheenjek River??

Default Sheenjek River??

I am just starting to plan next years moose hunt. I am thinking about floating the Sheenjek River. It will be me and at least 1 other guy with the posibility of up to 4 in our group. Has anyone floated the Sheenjek this year or last for moose, caribou, or bear?

Default Try Buck Nelson

Visit the website that Buck Nelson has. Buck produced a video, 700 Miles Alone, from the Sheenjack area. Even if you do not hunt that area, Buck's video is a must have for any Alaskan hunter. bucktrack.com is the website. Buck is a great guy and will more than likely chat with you about his experiences in that area. Enjoy.

Contact Larry Bartlett at Pristine Ventures, he can tell you all you want to know about the Sheenjek. Cost of flying there won't be cheap and you might have company, since Buck floated that river it has become a popular place.

Default www.bucktrack.com

I tried using the website for Buck but it seems to not be working at the moment. Thanks for the info so far.

Default 700 Miles Alone

You can also check out a summary of the DVD and buy it from this site:
    http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...031cf2d12ce4a2

Look at this too:

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/boa...l/sheenjek.htm

I had some friends a few years back put thier boat in at Circle and then staopped at Ft. Yukon and hired a flight itno the head waters. They took their boat up the Sheenjack a ways and beached it. Then loaded up their rafts and gear into the plane. This was the first part of August. It took them 23 days to float it and it did get a little cold on them.

The only bad issue was a bunch of Califorina grennie-weenies cusing them out for taking their jet boat up the sheenjack.

Good luck and have fun!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

If you know someone with an airboat, that is a good way to go. Cheaper than a float and gives you some additional mobility. You can airboat all the way up to the headwaters. Some really good moose habitat there. Look at the topos and if you reach the last really big swamps that is the place. A friend took a celebrity up there this year and took a 72 inch bull. Big rascal.

Default fly in float out

I was kinda thinking about getting dropped off as far up as i can float and then float 50 miles in about 10 days and get picked up.

Anyone now if the caribou are around that area around the 1st part of Sept.?

Is there typically lots of airboats and other float hunters on that river?

Quote Originally Posted by A_K_H_U_N_T_E_R View Post
    I was kinda thinking about getting dropped off as far up as i can float and then float 50 miles in about 10 days and get picked up.

Anyone now if the caribou are around that area around the 1st part of Sept.?

Is there typically lots of airboats and other float hunters on that river?
    How's this river these days?

OH GREAT!! People are running air boats to the SHEENJEK head waters!! Is nothing secure from you motor heads??Is this not part of ANWR! We could not even have a chain saw above the koness when I was a hunting guide up there in the 70's.
    Better bring a lot of fuel or even better yet- find another river!
    Some wild places should be left to nature and hard work!! Say what you like-- Just my thoughts!!
    Goo