Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: best rifle for $600 to $800?

Thumbs up best rifle for $600 to $800?

Im about to buy a rifle for alaskan game and ive settled on the 338win. Im interested in what alaskan hunters use and recommend as far as brand of rifle. Im definitely set on getting a stainless model probably with a synthetic stock also. What do ya'll think..... Im down to essentially a few rifles:

(no particular order)

remington 700 stainless XCR 26" barrel
    Browning A-bolt stainess stalker w/ boss (26" barrel)
    ruger 77 or 77hawkeye stainless (24" barrel)
    Weatherby Vanguard stainless (26" barrel)

Im looking for a accurate rifle, but reliability and durability are just as important. Any other rifles you might suggest? Kimber is a little out of my price range right now but that might change

Default Tikka T3 Hunter

According to the website the Tikka T3 Hunter (Which is stainless synthetic) is listed around $625. The claim 1" groups out of the box at 100 yrds with factory loads.

Default what rifle

Most of the time the Remington XCR is beyond the price range you have set, as is the Browning A-Bolt II, if you are talking about new guns. I think it is hard to go wrong with the new Ruger Hawkeye. The one bugaboo on the M77 Mk II was the trigger and that has been resolved. That would be my choice.

Ok.... but lets say price between those four guns isnt an issue. If you had to pick the best one, which one would you take?

I own a .270 winchester model 70 stainless/composit, and it is the best gun i own. Its too bad winchester isnt building them anymore

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    According to the website the Tikka T3 Hunter (Which is stainless synthetic) is listed around $625. The claim 1" groups out of the box at 100 yrds with factory loads.
    I bought a Tikka T3 stainless in 300 WinMag a couple of years ago. It's now my basic open-country rifle. It shoots great.

4 round detachable magazines are available for it, too.

Default Ruger M77

My little M77 .338 with a nikon 3-9x40 took a beating this year and it just keeps on tickin. Lets see, it got beat on by the raft frame while on the 4 wheeler (left lots of deep groves in the scope), it also went completely underwater while strapped to the wheeler, then it got beat on for 10 days while on a rainy float hunt without so much as a wipe down. The only problem i had was the round that sat in the chamber for 10 days kinda started to turn green.

I could take it out today and probably still shoot the 1" group that i could before the season.

Ruger gets my vote

I carry the Browning Stainless Steel stalker in .338 win mag with a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5X14 scope. I really wanted a Weatherby but I'm a lefty so I'm kind of limited and the Browning had all of the features that I wanted in a left hand model. I haven't regreted it yet. It shoots nice tight patterns and doesn't weigh very much. It is a little loud though when using the BOSS but it comes with an adapter that replaces the BOSS and reduces that big BANG somewhat.
    It looks like what we're all saying so far is that you've got a really good list of rifles there and whatever feels and works best for you is what you should go with. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.

Default Wby Vanguard

I have a Weatherby Vanguard in a .300 Win Mag and I am very happy with it! I paid $429.00 for it and put a Leupold VXII 3.5x9 with a 50mm bell. The same rifle in a .338 would be just fine. I went with a Win Mag instead of a Weatherby Mag to save $$ on ammo. The Vanguard is a very good rifle at a pretty cheap price. The scope I picked out is truly awesome. I cant beleive how much light it brings in during low light conditions. Its like having night vision goggles! I have had this set up for 3 seasons and knocked down several animals with it. The stainless / composite setup is the only way to go up here!

Default All good choices...

I have a Tikka T3 in 7mm Rem. that is a great rifle, very accurate but might be a little light in 338, not really sure. My 338 Win is a Ruger M77 MkII and I really like that combo, and the Hawkeye would only be better. If I was throwin down the bones though I'd get the XCR, I've held a few of them and they sure seem like a heck of a rifle.

I've always had my eyes on buying a Remington when it's time to get a new rifle, but I keep finding such good deals on Rugers that now I find my gun safe full of them. I have a Ruger m77 in 30-06, 7mm Mag, and 338...and I couldn't be happier with them! I've had the 06 a long time and that gun has taken some serious abuse, but has always been accurate and reliable when needed. The best thing I can say about that rifle is that I trust it 100%.

Default My dad and I shoot ruger m77 mkII

Highly recommend them. Hogue aftermarket stocks with the aluminum bed is nice, especailly in my dad .338wm. Then put a lupy vxII 3x9x40 and you are still in the higher end of your price range. You will be happy with it I promise. Fool proof rifle and deadly with all factory ammo, our's are anyways. Sportsmans had them on sale now and then for $485 I think it was. Just keep shopping, oh Chimo guns sells them in the valley with scopes for $550. But hold out for a sale somewhere and pick your own scope

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Sportsmans had them on sale now and then for $485 I think it was. Just keep shopping
    I got two of mine at Fred Meyer's for $374 apiece.

Default Tika t3

I got the Tikka T3 SS in 300 WSM as a gift, put the limbsaver pad on it and it shoots well, definately happy with the weight and great trigger. Did kind of have my eye on the Remington though, just seemed more durable. All in all to bad they still don't make the Winchester. But I can't look a gift horse in the mouth, but I think I just did. oops

Default Vanguard

I've had my 338 win mag for two years. Great hunting rifle for the price and shoots extremely well. Get a good scope and you're ready to roll.

Default Tikka T3

Have one in a 300 WSM. Smooth action. Easy to carry. Very accurate. 180 grain Failsafe has performed wonderfully on all animals. May kick a bit in .338, but seldom notice recoil in a hunting situation.

Default What do you like?

I have a Browning A-Bolt Stainless/Synthetic in 300 WM and that is my go to gun for 99% of my hunting. Everyone here has a pet gun, just like you and your model 70. Any of the rifles you mentioned would do fine. Just find the one you like. If it was me I would shop around for a used Mod 70 in 338. You can always get a synthetic stock later.

Drew

Default Another Ruger Vote

My son and I each have Ruger .338's; plus 30-06, 6mm, 7mm mag and .308. They are all extremely accurate, have never had a problem with them, 3 position safety, and they are good looking rifles. Have to be the best bang for your buck.

Default Tikka

Another vote for the Tikka T3. I have a laminate / stainless in 300wsm and it is awesome - no complaints. For a working gun I don't think a guy can go wrong w/ the Tikka.

You can find a nice used Winchester model 70 in that caliber for probably less than $800 so don't leave that option out.

Thumbs up Love My Rugers!

I have a 10/22, .308 SS Compact, .338 SS M77, Ruger #1 SS .375, SRH .480 and .454 Alaskan

Great value for great guns.

kingfisherktn

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast