Thread: McRobert's Creek Trail

Post McRobert's Creek Trail

Early on Saturday I went for a hike up McRobert's Creek outside of the Butte area. Smith Road and the parking area are now paved. The lot only holds about 4-5 vehicles, but there is more parking available. I climb this trail a few times a year and it seems that 90% or more of the other hikers either don't know where the trail is or they choose not to follow it and go on the road. If you go, the first part is a dirt road bisecting private property. After the first small uphill climb you come to the first of two orange gates. The actual trail starts just up and around the corner from the first gate and is on your Left. It appears as a 4 wheeler trail that goes up or down then back up to the right, and you can go either direction...always remembering that in general you are going up and to the right. These two trails come together in short order. The first part of the trail is in excellent shape with great footing. the footing is good to excellent all the way to the base of Mat Peak. As you stay high and right you will see a couple of feeder trailers coming up gullies on your right (they lead back down to the dirt road you started on). After a while the trail makes an obvious uphill and left turn showing signs of a lot of foot traffic, which if you follow will take you up the back side of Lazy Mountain. I went up it a short way and realized I was off the trail and went back looking for a fork. It doesn't appear as if the McRobert's trail has been used much this summer as it was over grown with 6 to 8 foot high grass and weeds. I let my feet follow the carved trail under the brush as there is an obvious 12 inch wide beaten path under the brush. There was a ton of fresh moose tracks everywhere and I saw a cow and calf enjoying the sun. It seems that every time I thought I was *off trail* I would come across another trail marker (the brown signs marked in 200 increments). This trail goes upwards for quite a ways, then you head down into a small stream on a big switch back. This was the ONLY area with any slimy ground, and very little of it. The stream was about 3 inches deep and 3 foot wide, crystal clear water. Climbing up the back side you head up into McRobert's Creek valley. There are two marked sign that say McRobert's Creek and the second sign also has a tripod next to it that if you go down (to the right) takes you back to the dirt road following the creek side. This trail is the one most people go on in both directions, but it is a mess IMHO. Ankle plus deep mud on most of this trail, and lots of rocks to twist ankles...plus it is a lot shorter in distance than the real trail. The real trail gives you tons of great photo opportunities. If you ever go on this hike I would encourage you to follow the trail and get off the road as quick as you can
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Couldn't find any other threads on this trail so I thought I'd update it a little.

I hiked up the road all the way to the trailer (about 1.5mi), then another mile or so up the single track trail to where it intersects with the Mat Peak trail at the 14000ft marker and second Lazy Mtn signpost. Then I hiked down Mat peak back to the trailhead.

The road up to the trailer is in really good shape, with a little snow but mostly dirt and is nice and level. The rest of the real trail is overgrown quite a bit with a few trees down across it. The small feeder streams are mostly frozen and are pretty slick, but there were still some open water areas. I would recommend waterproof hiking boots.

It took me just over an hour to go all the way up and about the same on the way down. There's only about 1" of snow out, but it's slick and melting in the sunny spots.

Went with the wife up this trail yesterday, all the way to to the top of Matanuska Peak this time. It looks like the power plant has been shut down, but the road up to it is still in decent shape. Both creeks at the bottom are completely dry, and most of the small runoff streams up the single track are dried up to a trickle also. Foliage is fully out and pretty thick in spots, with plenty of pushky, devils club, and stinging nettles around. Bring bear spray or other form of protection, visibility is very limited and the creek is quite loud in spots.