Thread: how long can you fish the upper kenai

Default how long can you fish the upper kenai

i was wondering how long you can fish the upper, does it close? or is it fish till the snow flies..... how long are fish present and feeding? im lookin at snow on the mtns and getting really depressed

It all depends on the ice. Some winters the upper Kenai will remain ice free well into January and beyond. I've seen fellas standing out there right underneath the Kenai Lake bridge in February casting flesh flies, hoping to find some rainbows among the spawning silvers (yes, there are still silvers in the river past January). Looks brutally cold to me, but it's possible. The season for rainbows doesn't close until April, if I remember correctly.

June 11 - April 15
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default yea

yea, but i meant floating, how long can you float it for, atleast till ice hits..are the fish still present throughout the river?, this is pretty much my first summer having a driftboat, im loving it and trying to get as much as i can in so i dont feel like i missed out in the winter haha.

I've never floated it later than September, but I've noticed that the water levels drop pretty significantly into October and November. You may not be able to float it in mid-winter, but you can still fish. After all, your name says you live to fish, not liv2boat.

Default Winter Fishing

I use to be one of those fellas standing at the mouth of the Kenai lake year round, but they closed a good majority of the river in past years so I lost interest since the portions they closed held the fish on the river. The river levels drop so unless you find some deep pockets the fish tend to go either to Kenai or Siklak lakes for the winter. I have caught fish between the bridge at the mouth and Jim's landing but it is slow. I have not fished it in the last three winter years and now I stop fishing in the fall late Nov early Dec.

I have caught Silvers as late as April in the river so there are fish (salmon)present. My fishin partner and I would watch the weather in Turnagain Pass and if the weather was descent that week we'd make a trip down to the straigthen our lines out. It made things interesting while standing out in the river in Jan/Feb/Mar and we'd get some strange stares. When I started fishin in the winter months 1987 there were maybe 4-6 people fishin and after a few years the numbers increased to see over a dozen folks fishing on the weekend. Not sure how it is now.

Even if we did not catch a thing it beat doing "honey do's" any day and we'd go and have a bowl of chile after 4 hours of fishing.

Also 5mm neoprene waders are handy when temps hover around 20 degrees.

Default December.

Here is a picture of my boy fishing up there in December out of our drift boat. We like to make a trip or two in november.
    Last edited by fishook; 04-07-2008 at 15:28.

Default April River

I have safely waded across the river without feeling unstable in April-the water is very low then and without the greenish tint.

The heater in the boat sure looks like it helps, I need to get one of those.

about half the years you can float it every day of the year, if its really cold it might ice up...

last jan, feb, & mar i waded under the bridge at the outlet of kenai lake and landed fish. mostly silvers, but i did manage to land a few rainbows and 2 lakers as well. flesh flies for the lakers and rainbows and lures for the silvers (size 2 mepps in gold). i also ice fished farther up the lake and did very well.

good luck

Remeber silver fishing closes October 31 even though silvers enter the kenai in every month of the year except may

you are right about the silver season being over at the end of october. i would never target fish that are so far along in thier life cycle as it would most likely kill them. they are there however and in decent numbers. that means that some are spawning and giving the trout a food source.