Thread: 4wheeler or Argo ?

Default 4wheeler or Argo ?

Looks like things may be shaping up for the big move to alaska. I'm looking for some pearls of wisdom and first hand experience. What type of vehicle would or do you own? Why? What are the pros and cons? Any info or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

They both definitely have advantages. IMO, fourwheelers are the only way to go but like I said, my opinion. First off, you are going to pay less than half (If you were to go new) for a wheeler than an argo. When crossing creeks/rivers, guys with argos (because they float) get pushed WAY downstream compared to a wheeler. On the other hand, you aren't going to sink an argo though. Argos are slow and uncomfortable also and dont offer the suspension and speed a wheeler can give you. If you were running PRIMARILY in really swampy/boggy/lake systems then an argo might be the way to go. I'd also look into getting a six-wheeler. Everyone I know that has one wont ride much else. It all comes down to where you're gonna be hunting, price range you have, and above all personal preference. You can get great advice from lots of people on here that will tell ya what to get, but if you have the chance to try a few different rigs out, then you will know what you like and what you should get.

After seeing my friends Argo with tracks in action last week I was very impressed. It's slow speed didnt hamper it at all as he made it to the truck an hour before myself and another partner did.
    That aside, if I were going to buy a new ATV tomorrow I would go with a Polaris 6x6 Big boss with tracks on it.
    Tennessee

tboehm ,
    Check the archive lots of post Atv vs Argo ,I have many argos ,If you get tracks you will out run any atv across any bog hands down. They are slow but I can go 13 hours on a 8 gal tank of gas.Yes they are more but they also hold alot more than any wheeler or 6 wheeler will hold, I do own a 6 wheeler once I bought an argo the 6 wheeler is now only a plow machine
    Show me a wheeler you can put this many people in and I'll buy 3
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Show me a wheeler you can put this many people in and I'll buy 3
    Maybe one of those new UTV's? Thats a lotta folks!!

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Looks like things may be shaping up for the big move to alaska. I'm looking for some pearls of wisdom and first hand experience. What type of vehicle would or do you own? Why? What are the pros and cons? Any info or feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    I have friends that have every machine imaginable and I have 2 ATVs and a side x side UTV. Each machine has its pluses and minuses over other machines. If you plan to primarily hunt, I would go with the Argo with rubber tracks (don't get the plastic tracks). Most people that buy the Argo let it sit most of the year and crank it up for hunting trips. If you plan to trail ride, hunt, and generally ride your machine year round, I would go with the ATV or UTV. Get up here, check things out and see what terrain you will be riding in. No machine is going to do it all up here...at least that is what we tell our wives so we can keep buying toys. Good luck!

Default Which ATV to Buy?

I'm afraid this is very similar to another difficult question for Alaskans, "What kinda' boat do I need?" Depends upon your primary needs/financial reserves.

I agree with AKMuddy as there's too many possibilities/applications to assess to make a firm recommendation.

Snowwolfe's idea of a six-wheeler with tracks is a good one. He's owned / ridden most all brands over the years. That's probably what I'd do, IF I hadn't just bought an Argo Avenger, but that's just me.

Roger probably knows more about Argos / Argo uses than I ever will.

After only 30 hours operation in my Argo, I really like it, but it is expensive, to own, to operate. It went where ever I pointed it except for getting high-centered and one time when I went into a small 'pond.' I swam in, and swam out, after doing a complete 360 turn. I came out, right where I went in. I think my meat wagon was acting as a rudder. I made it across on my second attempt. I do not think it's fun to ride in as a passenger as I got constant suggestions on how I could improve my handling skills from my passenger. I will not get rid of my Polaris Sportsman 500 as it still has multiple uses in my recreational activities.

It was highly recommended that I enroll in the next Argo Driving School. Maybe Roger can give me some pointers. I don't think I can find that many people that'd wanna' ride with me....

Quote Originally Posted by cghuntcms View Post
    It was highly recommended that I enroll in the next Argo Driving School. Maybe Roger can give me some pointers. I don't think I can find that many people that'd wanna' ride with me....

It takes a little while and if you go with someone that has been driving them for years you will learn tricks of the trade, Its like anything else it takes time. What I tell folks is do not worry about dragging the brakes while turning, Most folks (POP) the brakes to try to turn and not drag them thats when you get the WHIPLASH affect in the back where the passeangers are and all that poping and snaping noise under the floorboard. BRAKES ARE CHEAP !! $45 and you can get a few hundred hours out of a pair and it takes 20 min. tops to change out both sets

Mosts folks on here that said many people only use them during hunting season are right. I use them for business so they are always out in the field. If you want to hop on something to go get you mail and back to the house fast then the Argo is not what you want get a wheeler.

But like everyone on here is saying..LOCATION...LOCATION...LOCATION

If you are thinking about the argo I'd check into the new Argo FRONTIER you can run Rubber or plastic tracks and it has the new Briggs engine in it.Other wise the RESPONSE and CONQUEST you have to run plastic tracks and the Avenger runs the rubber ones,But they no longer have the Argo Conquest in production the Frontier has taken its spot.

Roger

Boils down to personal prefrance. I have rode ATV'S all my life (3-4 wheelers) and been many places, some places I shouldn't of been. With the atv's they have out now a day and a winch, theres not alot of places you can't get too. So "you" need to figure out what "you" want to do with the machine and go with the right one for your buget/needs. That being said, here are my thoughts.

4 wheelers: I would stay in the 500cc range, plenty of power and tourqe for anything you really need to do. They are dependable and are probly the biggest bang for your buck. Put a #2500 warn winch and a 60" snow plow on it and you have the most popular machine in the state. This set up has worked for me for many years.

6 wheeler: Speaking of the polaris sportsman, I have seen these in action for many years and have allways been impressed. They are a little more maintenance then the 4 wheeler, but not bad. They have come along way since the first production big boss 6x6. The biggest down fall I can see with them is the chain to chain driven rear axles, that is the biggest part to maintain. But keep it clean, lubed and should last fine. These can also out haul/tow a 4wheeler.

Argo's 6 and 8 wheelers: I personally don't have much experiance with them, but the times I do have around them are a 50/50 love/hate relationship. I do hear the newer model's are pretty slick with little breakdown issues. I think the new ones are still chain driven? If so, that would be the biggest up keep. Now as far as load hualing and where you can go, they win, plain and simple. Swamps, lakes, snow it is the king. Some people say they are slow, but the last time I checked, speed wasn't the issue when hunting, getting there was.

Prices:

500cc 4wheeler plain out the door is around $6000.00-$6500.00. Add some goodies, i.e. tires,winch,plow,hand warmers, travel bags and boom your up to $7000.00-$7900.00.

Polaris 6x6. $6999.00-$7800.00 with winch, depends what time of year and who you buy from.

Argo's, I need a little help with pricing, I do believe a plain jane 8x8 is around $16,000.00. I did get a price quote 3 years ago for a 8x8 with all the goodies, tracks, hard top, winch fornt and rear and so forth and it came to $25,600.00.

With all that said, I just bought the 07' Polaris Sportsman 6x6 2 weeks ago. Made one trip to the cabin with about 450lbs of gear and it never broke a sweat going through the swamps and mud holes, way out performed my 4 wheeler. Just hauled out a whole moose last night and that really impressed me. So, it really boils down to what you are going to do with the machine as well as your pocket book.

One last thing, what ever you buy, get ready to throw money at it. Stock is fine, then O' LOOK big tires! got to have those, O' WOW look at that got to have one of those, Hey, thats really neat where did you find that? Catch my point?

Smile Good input and thanks

Everyone has put in alot of good and interesting points and it's greatly appreciated. Lots of food for thought. I understand everyones points, the only problem is this will be my first outdoor vehicle and I don't know what exactly I will be requiring of it and what the majority of enviornments that I will be hunting in but I guess the I'll have to take all of this info and play it be ear. Any additional thoughts or ideas is appreciated. Looking more and more like the move will be happening this comming summer.

Where are you plan on moving to ?

I sent you a P.M

Another option is to get an ATV (preferably larger bore if you're going to pursue this option), and then if necessary you can upgrade it with all-season tracks. Expensive, but cheaper than an Argo, and gains you performance flexibility at the expense of the incredible carrying capacity more Argos have.

Quote Originally Posted by sr12345 View Post
    Another option is to get an ATV (preferably larger bore if you're going to pursue this option), and then if necessary you can upgrade it with all-season tracks. Expensive, but cheaper than an Argo, and gains you performance flexibility at the expense of the incredible carrying capacity more Argos have.

How to you get it is cheaper than an Argo ? The all-season tracks run 3500 and up plus the cost a a wheeler 6000 and up You can pick an argo fully loaded low mile on Craigslist from anywhere from 4,000 to a max of 12,000
    I know our local atv dealer says those atv tracks are more maintance than they are worth.I have seen those things in action they are not what they are made out to be. You forgot to add they add 200lbs or more to the atv and also the atv loses 30-40% of its speed.

Default Directional Corrections

I think Roger's properly described my 'steering' skills properly. I was under the impression I should use short actions to 'steer' the Argo. I'm not sure that you can steer an argo as it goes where it wants and you kinda' just redirect where it's going. I did find that it was more comfortable when adjusting the direction in mud along with a softer application of the brakes.

I'll use my Argo for some selected ice-fishing trips this winter along with a short bear hunt yet this fall. Otherwise, it'll sit until next hunting season. I'll probably add a windshield & soft top this fall/winter for warmth & comfort on those ice fishing trips.....

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    How to you get it is cheaper than an Argo ? The all-season tracks run 3500 and up plus the cost a a wheeler 6000 and up You can pick an argo fully loaded low mile on Craigslist from anywhere from 4,000 to a max of 12,000
    I know our local atv dealer says those atv tracks are more maintance than they are worth.I have seen those things in action they are not what they are made out to be. You forgot to add they add 200lbs or more to the atv and also the atv loses 30-40% of its speed.
    I think he was comparing new ATV to new Argo not new ATV to used Argo. A new top of the line big bore (500cc and above) ATV will cost you around $7,000 - $9,000 average. Add after market wheels/tires, winch, plow, and tracks. You can come in around $14,500 max. Buy slightly used and you can come in around $9,000 for the same thing. What does a new top of the line Argo cost? $15,000, maybe more??? Now add tracks, winch, plow...what is the total cost? Up the anti with an enclosure on the Argo...what are we at now? Don't forget to add the heater to the Argo as well. I would think you could go as high as $18,000 for a new Argo fully loaded with little problem at all. At least until your wife found out...
    Now with just going with a basic ATV (500cc class) with a $69 winch deal and what do you have for cost?...about half the price of an Argo (give or take a few hundred dollars). Not to say that there aren't great deals out there that could invalidate everything said above. I recently sold my used 2003 Grizzly 660 to a friend at a insanely low price just to get him into ATV riding. The quad was in tip top shape with no problems. It actually cost me a ton of money to sell it because I went out and bought a 2007 Rhino 660 with $4,000 in aftermarket upgrades (and more on the way) and a 2007 Grizzly 700 w/EPS (missed the ATV experience). Too bad I can't ride both at once.

AKMuddy

Default ATV vs. Argo

AKMuddy, I think your intial post was right on the money. Tboehm is gonna' hafta' weigh what he wants to do carefully then select a machine(s). He'll likely have second thoughts, but guess what, most of us have moved onto a second, third, or subsequent number of ATVs.

Iff'n you buy new from All Seasons Argo (you don't have a choice as the argo factory has assigned your dealer by your zipcode), an Avenger as I've got, you're gonna' invest $24,000. Toys, and that's what this is to me, are very expensive, but durn near a necessity in Alaska. That might just be my hunter/gatherer male mentality. It will easily carry two hunters or as many as 4 people ice fishing, so I can rationalize it'll take the place of two 4-wheelers or 2 - 2 up snowmachines... I think Roger's Argos are far more intricate with his life/lifestyle.

Roger, I found several Argos on ebay.com but knew too little about buying a 'used' one along with getting it transported up here. It seems Michigan was a good place to look for reasonably priced Argos. I bought mine used off 907bigboytoys.com with 23 hrs. About a month ago, I saw a six-wheel Argo for sale sitting along the old Glenn Highway. AMDS had one for sale last winter.

Now, I've gotta' justify another $3500 for a windshield and soft top. I'm keeping my 4-wheeler, but the snow machines are gonna' go away.

I've already told my kids all they're getting from me when I die will be worn out toys..... If I can't enjoy what Alaska has to offer, then I need to move to the lesser 48 and start a vegetable garden & get a cat.

Tboehm, you've got at least me real curious. I'd like to know what you buy!

Default Learning alot

Can't thank all of you enough. I'm sure that I'll be second guessing things left and right. I'm just telling the wife that I'm going to have to buy one of each I'm trying to do as much research prior to so that I'll have some idea of what I'm doing for the fall season. Keep it comming.

Default the skinny on tracks as I know it

I ran TJD cat trax this year for the first time this year so here are a few lessons learned.
    1. Don't get them if you're in a hurry. With tracks the idea is to get from A to B without getting stuck.
    2. Most (99%) of your riding will be sitting down, not standing up on the pegs. This is because you need the leverage to steer. Armstrong steering is a requirement at times.
    3. If you use some common sense you have to really work at it to get stuck in the mud. They put less than 1 p.s.i. per track on the ground even if they do add about 200 lbs to the overall weight of the machine. They seem to work pretty good in the snow too. I left less than a 3 inch deep footprint riding over snow.
    4. You have to really slow down going over rocks. The bogie wheels just don't like rocks very much.
    5. Plan ahead when making turns. They don't do 90 degree turns like a machine with tires do.
    6. Gas. I'm riding a 99 Honda foreman 450cc and was pulling a Pac Rat Outfitter. Total towed wieght was probably close to 450 - 500 lbs. I used about 7/8ths of a tank to go 12 miles. Gas mileage is lousy.
    7. Mud, you will get muddy if you're on that kind of trail. (is there one in Alaska that isn't?) After 12 miles I probably scraped about a 150 lbs of AK off of my machine and trailer.
    8. Cost, mine were 3 grand including shipping.
    9. Yes, maintenance on them is higher than on a machine with tires, more moving parts. You also have to carry some extra tools and parts and a grease gun with you just in case.
    9. Regrets, None. :-)

I've never ridden a machine with really good mud tires so it could be that you could get a wheeler with a set of those and go most anywhere for a fraction of the cost. Also, on the subject of Argos, my partner has an 04 Avenger tricked out with about everything but the kitchen sink. It cost him $24K plus new. Welcome to Alaska, I hope you and the missus love it as much as the rest of us do.